• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cat Litter Box Crystal.

Sir Winston 40

I live in the bahamas. I notice that you guys talk about the Litter Box Crystal being as good as the beads. I found the crystals but it is a mixture of clear and blue crystals. Is the type okay to use with cigars?

I live in the bahamas. I notice that you guys talk about the Litter Box Crystal being as good as the beads. I found the crystals but it is a mixture of clear and blue crystals. Is the type okay to use with cigars?

Nope, you want the kind that has only clear crystals, the blue ones are sented and will ruin your cigars.

Also you might want to Introduce Yourself Here

You can also just take out the blue ones, I have done it before and it is just a little time consuming. The only problem I have found with them is that they dont work as well as pg crystals. But they are much cheaper by far. If it works for you, then stick with it. It just so happens that it does not work for me so well.

Been using the kitty litter from Target for years now. No issues. They make a white w/ blue and a white w/ green. Get the blue. The blue is a deodorizer. The green is an actual scent. I keep a tray up top and a tray at the bottom in the Vinotemp. It stays at a lovely 65RH and around 67degrees F.

Again, to each their own. I've never had a problem and it always smells of cedar and tobacco.

-Gianni-

I read the Exquisicat crystals are a great way to go, so I gave it a shot. I currently use them in my wine-o-dor and they work great. But, like others said please make sure you get unscented. I bought the wrong ones at first thinking they were all the same. Wrong. I noticed the screw up before they got near my sticks. I got mine from PetSmart for about 12 bucks.

Since you live in the Bahamas (where I imagine the RH would get fairly high), I would recommend going with beads. I've found they're much better at absorbing excess moisture than the crystals. The crystals are better, though, at giving off moisture (better for low RH conditions in winter). Just my $.02.

Derek

I read the Exquisicat crystals are a great way to go, so I gave it a shot. I currently use them in my wine-o-dor and they work great. But, like others said please make sure you get unscented. I bought the wrong ones at first thinking they were all the same. Wrong. I noticed the screw up before they got near my sticks. I got mine from PetSmart for about 12 bucks.

This is what you want to get if you decide to go with Kitty Litter.

Since you live in the Bahamas (where I imagine the RH would get fairly high), I would recommend going with beads. I've found they're much better at absorbing excess moisture than the crystals. The crystals are better, though, at giving off moisture (better for low RH conditions in winter). Just my $.02.
I'm assuming you're recommending preconditioned humidity beads like Heartfelt and Climaxx brands. If so, my personal results have been the exact opposite of yours. When in excessively humid areas, I have found that unscented kitty litter excels at lowering humidity down to more manageable levels in my humidors. Unscented kitty litter, after all, is silica gel - a pure desiccant. Preconditioned humidity beads, on the other hand, are treated to become hygroscopic and are more adept at emitting moisture in my experience.

This thread makes me feel a little sick in my stomach. But hey just an opinion.

I'm assuming you're recommending preconditioned humidity beads like Heartfelt and Climaxx brands. If so, my personal results have been the exact opposite of yours. When in excessively humid areas, I have found that unscented kitty litter excels at lowering humidity down to more manageable levels in my humidors. Unscented kitty litter, after all, is silica gel - a pure desiccant. Preconditioned humidity beads, on the other hand, are treated to become hygroscopic and are more adept at emitting moisture in my experience.
Weird. I've tried both in all my humis and found the beads to drop the RH much faster (the gel to raise it faster). In previous winters, I've thrown some of the crystal gel in to help recoup the RH swing when I open the humis. OTOH, I blow-dry my beads in the summer and it will drop the RH swing back down to 65 in minutes. I guess my mileage is varying? Or am I doing this bassackwards? ???

Derek

I had been having trouble keeping my sticks at an acceptable RH for a while so on the advice of this I went out and bought the Exquisicat crystals. Now my vinodor sits at a rock solid 70%. I made sure to open the jug before I bought it and even with the blue crystals there is absolutley no smell.
$12 for 4lbs of crystals that fixed my problems was well worth it to me.

There is a Brother here named Viper. He sells beads. If you bought his beads there is a double benefit. You support someone here and you get the best product period. The cost is really not that much, unless you are keeping thousands of smokes.
Trust Viper, he will take very good care of you.
And if you are keeping thousands of smokes I am sure Viper could help you.