• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cbid winners

gawntrail

CPers,

I have won a few auctions on Cbid. I carefully bid what I feel is below a boxed price stick. In winning these, I have noticed something........Both bids while going until about 1 hour before closing are below my maximum bid.........my email notification of winning shows that I won at the maximum bid. Although I don't believe in conspiricys.........I was wondering what the rest of you have to say.

Has your winning bids on Cbid been below your maximum bid (when using auto bid)?

And, being the simpleton that I am, the shipping put the cost higher than I wanted to go.

Last Two

5 Pack of Pimp Sticks (wininng bid $19.00 + shipping $3.95 = $22.95) I was trying to get these for $3-$4 per stick)

El Credito Apprentice bundle (20) (winning bid $23 + shipping $4.95 = $27.95 I was trying to get these for less than $25).

We live and learn....

M. Gipson

I dont have a "local" cigar retailer(45 minute drive is closest)so I am probably not as carefull as you with what I bid. I have, however, won the cigars for less than my maximum price. Shipping is just something you will have to remember to account for. I dont consider shipping in the overall price I paid for the cigars. Its paid for a service to get them to me. We think different I guess.

I haven't paid much attention to the winning bid, as I usally bid $20 to $30 below box price. If I get them it's a deal if I don't someone paid too much. As for the shipping get in on the once a week shipping deal. Always check the price on what your bidding on at JR's or LA or which ever site you chose. Bid a bit below the going price and hope for the best. Sometimes you can do real well, as in the $42.00 Xtend I won. :0

I have won many auctions lower than my maximum bid.

I look to see what I can buy them for on-line and bid 75 - 80% of that amount. If I get them, good for me. If not, there is always another auction coming up. :p

You can change your shipping to once a week. They will hold your winnings and ship them on Thursday, saving you $$$. You pay the highest single shipping amount of all the auctions won and the rest usually ship for either $.50 or $1.00 more.

The shipping seems for me to run higher than the what they say when I have other items in the mix such as ashtrays, etc.

Figuring $2.00 gas and 1hr for the closest shop along with 6% tax, I still think buying at internet prices is a deal.

Also it seems that some guys are juming in in the last few minutes similiar to ebay probably pushing your bid up.

I have won items at below my max bid, and I always figure in the shipping when I bid.

I think luck and timing have alot to do with it. A few months ago I got a 5 pack of La Perla Habana Black Pearl Gran Robusto's for $15. I looked the the other day and they had a 5er with a $21 bid and there was still a day left in bidding.

This week one of my winning bids was below my max, a 2 pack of "v" cutters for $3. Not sure if they are any good or not, but for 3 bucks plus 50 cents extra in shipping I will give em a try.

On all my winning bids they have sent notification of winning along with maximum bid. However yes when looking up winning bids after auction end it shows what I won them for. Billing has never been incorrect from them.

don't forget to put "CP member" in the notes when making a bid. That keeps us from bidding against each other.

I see we're back to talkin' about the Devil's Hangout...... :D :thumbs: :p

Run, run fast while you still have credit on your Visa / MasterCard..... :D

i've won many auctions far below my max bid. as mentioned in other responses, it's all a coin toss.

best,
gus

geldor1 said:
I have won many auctions lower than my maximum bid.

I look to see what I can buy them for on-line and bid 75 - 80% of that amount. If I get them, good for me. If not, there is always another auction coming up. :p

You can change your shipping to once a week. They will hold your winnings and ship them on Thursday, saving you $$$. You pay the highest single shipping amount of all the auctions won and the rest usually ship for either $.50 or $1.00 more.
I didn't notice that shipping could be once a week.
Thanks!! That will help keep costs down :)

When I first discovered C-bid last year, I had this same question. I posted it on another board and I was assured by many old-timers that items often sell for less than a bidders maximum bid. And I found that I too sometimes won at a cost that was below my highest bid price. So I don't think there is a conspiracy on the part of management to drive up the price to the maximum. I think it there was a conspiracy, word would get out and eventually c-bid would be ruined by the bad press. But that doesn't mean they couldn't do it once in awhile if they were really taking it in the shorts on some item (which lately hasn't happened at all, anyway, beacuse of all the over-bidders on there now).

I doubt its a conspiracy. People make last minute/second bids all the time. If the price you put as your max just happens to be near or at everyone else's max bid, then chances are your max bid will be realized. My guess is that your max bid price is a very good one, meaning that it is the same range other bidders are using. People will bid up to that amount, but no more... and since you bid first, you'll get the purhcase.

Now that's a great idea! We need one of the favored vendors to sponser a auction every week. ;)

Just what my visa card needs :sign: :sign: :0

I am a Cbidder regular for over 2 yrs now, and am very happy. Figure in shipping and I am still getting a deal on what I bid for, and alot of great coffee beans too, and always put your club affiliation so we dont bid each other to death...I am dizturbduh over there and am very pleased. I just got a box of Jamaican Blue beans, Mayorga beans, fuente beans and estrallas, 8 lbs of coffee total was with shipping $22.00. One pound of just colombo costs me $12.00, and JamBlue is $18.00 a lb at my local hippie mart so a deal for me, and cigars are the same. I have bought boxes, bundles, samplers, and no probs for me...Becky :p

(which lately hasn't happened at all, anyway, beacuse of all the over-bidders on there now).

I have been off and on c-bid for a while and agree that the prices paid seem to have escalated lately.

I just found cBid yesterday, and bought a bundle. I "won" a bundle of Drew Estate "Outdoorsman's Reserve" (only CI and cBid sell em) Torpedos. After shipping the bundle ended up being $25. On CI the cigars sell 40 for $50, so by bidding I was able to buy a smaller quantity AND essentially got free shipping.

I have bids out on some Diesel and Roly bundles right now as well, and I just made sure my max bid took shipping into effect. Unlike eBay, cigarbid auctions can go for 5 minutes after close if there are last minute bids; so using a "sniping" tool is pointless.

Think I am going to head on back there and bid against "dizturbduh". :p

Matt

stogieman said:
I see we're back to talkin' about the Devil's Hangout...... :D :thumbs: :p

Run, run fast while you still have credit on your Visa / MasterCard..... :D
Stogie,
You are correct! As of late, I have outgrown two 50 count humi's, one 52 gallon Coolidor and one large lunchmate. My wife thinks I have lost my marbles......plus my breath stinks!