• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cedar for a Coolerdor...

Ugaman72

Well, everyone on here was right. After being here less than 2 weeks, I have outgrown my humidor. I have the materials and plans to make a coolerdor this weekend. The only thing missing is either cedar sheets, some cedar blocks, or possibly old cedar boxes for the inside (I know this is optional, but I love the smell). So, since I'm a newbie and have only bought one full box of cigars in my life, where would I get these? Will B&M cigar shops sell these to me? Is it acceptable to ask (if they get asked a lot I don't wanna piss anyone off)? Should I ask for the cedar separator sheets and glue them to the side, blocks to just place inside, or boxes to store them? Lastly, am I just being too anal about all of this? :)
Thanks in advance for the advice..
-Chad

Probably being too anal but then again we all are. My local B&M always has them. They usually put them to the side. Other uses for them are to light your gars.

If you can't find boxes, go to your local Home Depot or Lowes. Ask for 1/8" "Luan" plywood, it's made from a lower grade mahogany, a close relative of Spanish cedar.

It may not look as pretty, but it will provide the humidity buffer that boxes would offer.

Spanish cedar looks and smells great, but you really don't need it. Just make sure you wash out the plastic smell with a weak bleach solution before adding your cigars. You don't need to season a coolidor, either.

B&M's usually have empty boxes. Some will give them away for free, while others will charge you a few bucks. Make sure you get the plastic smell out of the cooler before adding cigars.

Spanish cedar looks and smells great, but you really don't need it. Just make sure you wash out the plastic smell with a weak bleach solution before adding your cigars. You don't need to season a coolidor, either.

x2!

If you buy a few boxes of cigars, or get a few empties for storage, that's all you'll need. No need to line the sides with Luan, or oder sheets of Spanish Cedar.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm on my way to a B&M cigar shop locally after the UGA-USC game. Maybe I can score some empty boxes there. Some of them are pretty darn quality looking boxes, so I can understand if I'd have to pay a few bucks for them. Thanks again everyone!!