• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cello - on or off?

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
Let's say you have a humidor full of about 75 cigars, all different brands, types, sizes, flavors (ems, maduro, etc). Is it ok to take the cello off all of the cigars, or which ones should you leave the cello on? I took the cello off all of my EMS cigars, and left the cello on just the Maduro's. However I want to make sure all cigars are being properly humidified, so should I take the cello off of the Maduro's as well? If I take the cello off all the cigars, how much will they marry with each other? I don't want all the different brands tasting like the same cigar...Woud like to see what you guys think.Thanks,Rod

I can unequivocably say "it depends" ;)I leave the cello on cigars in my igloodor. When I transfer them to my desktop humi, the cello comes off. Cello is permeable, so the cigars can still breathe. They just breathe better without it.One of the big advantages of leaving the cello on is the protection cellophane gives the wrapper leaf.

I am the same as Mr. Stevenson, cello on in igloo cello of in humidors. I take it one step farther and have seperate humidors for dark and light rapper smokes so there is little marry if any between them. Hope this helps :)

In the igloodor...cello off in cedar boxes. 90% of my cigars off...the cigars age better IMHO. I keep a few wrapped incase of gifting but have never had cigar flavors MARRY. FUFU cigars (LARS, Vanilla Peco, Etc) Excluded.

My experience is that cigars of different kinds age better together
in the same humi if the cello is left
on. MHIO.

I have never had any problems with cigars marrying, foolin' around maybe. :biggrin:But seriously I put maduros and naturals together without cellos in my humidors. In my iglodors they go naked too, but they are in their own boxes. I really have not had a problem. One thing you might want to do if you are worried, clip the ends of the cello off. You then have air and humidity moving around the cigar, but you also do not have the cigars touching each other.

I have never had any problems with cigars marrying, foolin' around maybe. :biggrin:But seriously I put maduros and naturals together without cellos in my humidors. In my iglodors they go naked too, but they are in their own boxes. I really have not had a problem. One thing you might want to do if you are worried, clip the ends of the cello off. You then have air and humidity moving around the cigar, but you also do not have the cigars touching each other.

I've noticed when smoking cigars with the cello on you get a pungent, burnt plastic taste on the palate.  And they're damned tough to light that way. I prefer to remove the cello before lighting up.  Just my opinion. :wink:

I say, let them go naked. It keeps them happy. A happy cigar is a good cigar.All of mine are cello off.
I keep cellos around in case of trades or gifting.

95% of my cigars have the cello off for aging. I leave it on for cigars to be gifted, traded, or sold.

Just think, how many times has this been asked and answered. Still same question 20 years later. Should have a list of permanent answers to repeated questions..👋👋👋👋

Also, I can’t remember when I last heard the designation “”EMS CIGARS”””. only the British had a procedure to prove to verify if a Cuban cigars was genuine and not counterfeits.
”EMS” (ENGLISH MARKET SELECTION)

Last edited:
Just think, how many times has this been asked and answered. Still same question 20 years later. Should have a list of permanent answers to repeated questions..👋👋👋👋

Also, I can’t remember when I last heard the designation “”EMS CIGARS”””. only the British had a procedure to prove to verify if a Cuban cigars was genuine and not counterfeits.
My friend, have you heard of the..... Dreaded necrohump?

60596781.jpg

My friend, have you heard of the..... Dreaded necrohump?
absolutely…I brought it back to show that twenty years ago ROD the administrator had put the same wrapper/cellophane
question and cigars as it has been asked over and over.
Wait another month or two and it will be asked again.
I thought it is amusing.

I usually rotate between cello and no cello. Every month on the 1st Saturday at exactly 2:34am I go into my humidor and change exactly 2/3 of my stock from cello to no cello. The cigars that have been in no cello are then placed into cello and put back in the humidor. I also keep a log as to what I've move from cello to no cello to make sure all cigars have the EXACT same amount of time between cello and no cello.

A couple more posts and this thread will have more posts this year than it did 20 years ago!!