• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

charcoal filter

bill.u

Hi Wondering if anyone has either a charcoal filter in a colluder /wineadoor  

I currently have a winter 251s and was wondering if i would require a charcoal filter.
If so what are the benefits any help would be most appreciated thank you 

I have looked at some premium humidors and they all claim that they have a carbon/charcoal filter, but never explain why it is important to have in a humidor.
So I thought I would  just ask the question .

Brickhouse said:
Are you certain you weren't looking at fishtanks?
Well, fish DO require proper humidity and temperature...

bill.u said:
I have looked at some premium humidors and they all claim that they have a carbon/charcoal filter, but never explain why it is important to have in a humidor.
So I thought I would  just ask the question .

They turn the carbon monoxide produced by the cigars, into breathable oxygen.  Without it, there would be danger of over exposure to carbon monoxide.

I know for a fact that at least a couple folks in this thread have what I'd consider 'premium' humidors and I've personally never heard of using charcoal filters in a humidor.  Ever.  

Got a link...??

Edit - I found one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002XJ8N1E/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

Seems the guys at Liebherr use charcoal filters but I can't find out why.  That's an expensive humidor for it's size; I know this guy named Bob Staebell that would make you a pretty wonderful cabinet for that price.....just saying..... :cool:

I have a rock in mine that keeps tigers away. It's been a great investment. Probably better off with one of these than the charcoal filter. 

Just thought I would ask the question. I didn't understand the whole carbon filter idea so I thought I would ask .And no definitely not a fish tank LMFAO

A few years ago I read about the adverse effects of CO on my cigars and decided to take care of this before it became a major issue....I didn't want my sticks suffering from asphyxiation. So I rigged up this charcoal filter in the closet next to my Aristocrat....and since then, they've been breathing perfectly and I noticed a huge change in how they smoke. With the mixture of spare parts & duct tape I know it's not pretty, but it saved their lives...

Charcole%20filter_zps5vfcrhkk.jpg

Ironman, that looks like it came out of Apollo 13. LMFAO. Yet, there is no scientific proof that cigars don't breathe, is there?

Bill, I think you're over analyzing everything and reading too much. I would definitely rig something up like ironpeddler did and your cigars will do just fine.

I always thought a shoe box and an old used damp sock were ok for long term storage?

CMontoya79 said:
I always thought a shoe box and an old used damp sock were ok for long term storage?
Well, maybe, but we all know your "old used" socks aren't damp from distilled water...

edit to clarify

tomthirtysix said:
I have a rock in mine that keeps tigers away. It's been a great investment. Probably better off with one of these than the charcoal filter. 
dbBlGx1.gif

What works for lions?