• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Charging Humidifier?

Rockin' Republican

Ok so i got 2 humidifiers from ebay ($5) To put in my urn style humidor and tupperware. And Ineed to charge them... they're just sponges in a tube. Thanks for the help. Don't know what i'd do without you!

Did you get 50/50(humidifier solution)? If not, you could lightly dampen them with distilled until you get some. Any retail tobacconist will have it.

Emo

Concur, Emo. RR, I would strongly suggest that you use 50/50 and not just distilled water. I tried that in my novice days and ended up with some very soggy cigars. They were ruined. In such a small humidor as yours, you will see the effects very quickly. I would suggest visiting:

http://www.climmax.com

and buying a tubo to use. I have two and I expect them to work very well. The great thing about it is that it is cheaper than 50/50 and it controls the moisture for you via the "smart" media.

To make it even plainer.....

Yesterday, my humi, which has 50/50 sponge, was sitting at 81%. Why? Because here in my area that was the Humidity outside yesterday, and my Humi was outside with me. If I were to have been using the Beads, they would have soaked up the excess moisture and kept it perfectly at 65 or 70% depending on the beads I had. The beads regulate the RH down or up, whichever is required ("smart" media) where PPG can only add moisture, cannot remove it.

Beads!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's the only way to humidify

:p :0 :thumbs:

Not true PB. PG in Oasis will absorb too provided there is somewhere for the water to go. In other words, if the Oasis is saturated, it can't absorb water from the air.

They key to good regulation is this. 1. Do not over saturate your Credo. 2. Exposed surface area.
The larger the exposed area, the quicker the credo can react to flucuations in RH. Therefore, if 2 credo's given the same amount of 50/50; one 3 in x 5 in x 2 in deep, and the other 2 in x 5 in x 3 in deep, the fisrt one will regulate changes in humidity quicker. Both have the same volume.
On a second point, distilled water will evaporate at a higher rate than PG. Over time, if you only add distilled water when the RH drops, you will lose the ability to absorb humidity from the air. So intially, when you charge the credo, it is 50/50. The next time you add H2O, you aren't matching it to how much PG is left. If you add until it seems like the same amount as the initial charge, you are adding too much water. Because some of the PG evaporated also. Key is you will have to play with it a little by little to level out at the RH you want.
When I recharge my credo in the humi, I add 2 parts 50/50 to 1 part H2O. This works for me, because I am in a humid area and don't need to much H2O. For someone else it could be 2 parts H2O and 1 part 50/50. Someone like Joe M. out in the desert might not add 50/50 for 2 years, only H2O.
So, if you want a truely stable system, go with Climmax. If you don't mind tinkering around, PG and credos are just fine.

Emo

Good points Emo, especially the last one. If you want "set it and forget it" humidity control, Climmax beads are the way to go.

Just to add a bit to what you said.... PG works by forming sort of a skin on the surface area of the water in the oasis sponge. This skin allows water to evaporate out of the sponge if the RH of the surrounding air is less than 70%. Conversely, it allows atmospheric moisture to be absorbed back into the sponge if the RH is greater than 70%. The exact ratio of water to PG isn't important as long as there is sufficient PG to cover the surface of the water. 50/50 is used because that's an easy ratio to attain.

Another thing: PG evaporates very slowly. So you should only rarely replinish it or you'll end up with 90% PG. Which will still work, but if you live in a dry environment, you'll run out of water too fast and your humidity will be too low. Or if you live in a wet environment you'll fill up with water and your humidity will get too high.

I stand corrected. I don't remember where I read that statement about the reason Beads were better, but I know I read it somewhere. I guess it is false. ???

I don't know what you read, but Climmax is not PG Puro. So it works somewhat differently. Climmax will add or take away humidity from the humi. PG works the same way. It is like comparing an orange to a tangerine. Beads are better in the sense that you don't have to tinker with it.

Emo

Personally I like the beads better, but then I bet that dosen't surprise anyone. LOL
BTW if any of my CP brothers orders form me , they should mention it in the comments section of the order form so I can give them the discount. :D