• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chateau Fuente Natural Wrapper

highdudgeon

Okay, I just finished one of these and, as usual, was very pleased. Note bene: my preferred smokes are coronas and robustos and I only smoke larger cigars, like my beloved Monte #2's, when I have lots of time in the evening.

My favorite walk-around, daytime cigars have been Monte Petit Edmundos, Bolivar Royal Coronas, and Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Robusto. Yes, I live in Europe.

However, these things are expensive! Personally, I find the Bolivar just a bit too spicy. The Petit Edmundo is nearly perfect, but a bit too mild. I like the Hoyo, which isn't as refined, but has a nice leathery taste.

So, why the Fuente? I bought a box each of the Short Story and the WOA. I prefer the WOA and find the Short Story too bitter, at least for my taste. The Chateau Fuente is just great, though! Slightly gritty aftertaste (got it now) but the 1st half is just really easy, right between mild and moderate, draws wonderfully well for me, great flavor, and the price is right! I am seriously thinking of just sharing out my collection of small Cubans with friends, smoking feverishly, and stocking up on these, which are a great value. I was shocked, really, at how nice it was after my less than pleasant Short Story (which I know if very popular, but it's a matter of taste). Highly recommended, and this from a Cuban snob!

Try the sun grown variety, before you get carried away. It's the best $3.75 on the market.

Doc.

Okay, speaking of which, has anyone smoked the Fuente Chateau and the Fuente Don Carlos Robusto and can you comment on the differences? I have not tried the robusto.

It boils down to this: I prefer the Cubans, I really do. However, sometimes we do have to think about money, and the Chateau is a much more affordable afternoon smoke. Also, for me, the size is really right. I rarely have an hour an a half to devote to a cigar. Less than once a week -- although I collect like crazy.

Now, Cohiba Siglio VIs, which I love, cost $550 or so if I buy in Switzerland or mail or from there. Here in Italy, is a good bit more, what with the taxes. That's a lot of money and if I get 90% of the cigar for less than half the price...that's a compromise I can handle. I guess that I'm beginning to search for the best value non-Cuban robustos and coronas. Open to ideas!

Also, note bene: I was an avid smoker some ten years ago and then took a four year hiatus. This was in large part to help my wife quite cigarettes and because I felt that I needed to be in top form, as I competed in marathons and the like. Call it irrational and often wrong-headed health fanaticism. I started smoking again, but only seriously in the last couple of years. Because of where I live, Cubans have been the main diet. But when I think that $550 will buy me a box of Fuentes and train tickets for my family to Rome and back...well, taking kids to Rome is fun.

I like the sungrowns and have found them for as little as $2.60.

Try the sun grown variety, before you get carried away. It's the best $3.75 on the market.

Doc.

X2

Also, try the maduro wrapper, as well. Nut sweet flavor, not quite as strong as the SG's, but a very nice smoke in its own right.