• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CHEAP Hygro

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
I found this hygro at my local Walmart last night for $7. I thought what the hell its cheap, but will it be any good? Salt Tested it and it is spot on after 12 hours @ 75%RH.

hygro.JPG

You must have gotten lucky... past experiences state that these can be - + 7 degrees. very unreliable.

I found this hygro at my local Walmart last night for $7. I thought what the hell its cheap, but will it be any good? Salt Tested it and it is spot on after 12 hours @ 75%RH.

hygro.JPG

Bought one of those a couple of months ago...salt tested to 60% and held, just have to remember to add 15% everytime... :(

...bigger question is what will they measure in three months? In six months? How is their "long term" stability....??

Regards - B.B.S.

Bought one last week from Wallyworld myself and have noticed no problems. I love it and if you rely solely on your hygro for guidance as to the condition of your smokes I'm going to tell you humidor that you're having an affair. What have you got a wife or something?

I salt tested this baby twice more and you all were right. She is exactly +5. Thanks.

I've had my two running for the past couple months. (since the first thread on these hygro's) They have held steady for me. One is perfect with my 65% beads, the other is +5rh. Both stay rock solid with the changes in humidity from the beads. For $14 I'm still happy with mine..

I just bought one of these. Cheap and accessible so thought I'd give it a go. I did 2 salt tests for 24 hours. Mine was 78%rh the first time and 79%rh the second time. So that's -4%rh for me. I think it was a good deal. The wireless hygro they were selling looked interesting.

Just use beads and any cheap, unreliable hygro is fine even if it's off. When the beads are working properly, the hygro doesn't move. When you notice the hygro dropping off, it's time to add just a little water to the beads. Beads are foolproof. ;)

Can you change the batteries? Most of the cheap hygro's are disposable.

You can change the batteries the two I have bought have been within 2% of each other.

Somewhere on another thread someone had said the Acurite Walmart brand was more accurate. I bought it for 11.88 and the model is the 891. I salt tested this sucker and found it to be 7% LOW!!! The little black one I got from the B&M was reading 76% at 10 hours and the Acurite was reading 68. And from a deductive point of view, you cannot just add 7 to it's reading and be accurate...at lower levels, the Acurite is closer to the black one. In the 50's range, the Acurite was only 4-5 low. No more Wallyworld hygro's for me. It's only 10 bucks more for a decent one.

I grabbed a third the other day. I was there getting a bigger rubbermaid container (yeah I know you dont have to state the obvious) and said what the hell its only $7 I'll see if it would be as good as the two I bought before.

Through it next to one of the two I bought before and its pretty much in line with it so another "good deal" medal for me.

I have one of the orginals in the new tupperdor. I seasoned a couple empty boxes from the B&M across the street to keep things organized and give it a buffer and its been straight on 70 RH with my 70 RH beads.

So :thumbs:

Holts has a $3.95 analog hygrometer. I can only assume that you can adjust it like most analogs so it should do the trick!

Unfortunately they kill you on the shipping at $7 so I'd probably do this if you are buying cigars or other stuff from them as well.

I recently took a hammer to all of my hygros and leave it up to the beads. The fluctuation they show just messes with my head and it’s not worth it. :sign:

I got this guy at Radio Shack a little over a year ago, and it has yet to fail me. Radio Shack. Of course now that I say that, it will turn to total crap.