• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cheap Shipping!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sir-smokes-a-lot

A Freudian Slip in progress
okay, so I know this post has been here before, but wanted to start it up again for all the new dudes.

The only sad part of shipping away cigars is that it is ~$3.50+ to ship the cool white boxes you can get from the P.O. for priority.
Instead, turn then inside out, tape them up and the price is closer to $1.75!

great way to save $$ (so you can buy more :D )

:thumbs:

P.S. if you work for the USPS, my real name is Steven Stack. :p

I had someone tell me that a postal employee made them pay Priority rates because the box they were using was indeed a USPS Priority box.

Haven't run into this myself.

Never shipped any cigars but have shipped out plenty of other items.

I Will use the usps box then put it in a large manilla (sp?) envolope.

At the risk of getting this started again....... If the 2 bucks extra for the PM is a problem, just leave out one of those $2.00 smokes and send it the right way.

Wascal said:
At the risk of getting this started again....... If the 2 bucks extra for the PM is a problem, just leave out one of those $2.00 smokes and send it the right way.
Oh damn that will leave a mark!! :sign: :sign:

^5 Mike

Wascal said:
Or use Ellman's suggestion, but wait until the PM box has been sent at least once ... that way the USPS has recieved their payment for the box already. No harm in re-using it afterwards.

:: sets up a lawn chair with the funky umbrella on it, grabs himself some popcorn, some purple kool aid and lights up a stogie ::

This aught to be fun :p :sign:

Wascal said:
Guys, I'm all for saving money, but I am not in favor of being dishonest. It is too easy and inexpensive to visit www.veripack.com and buy some 4x4x8" boxes for 20 cents a piece and send them that way.

Anyway, most of us send out cigars totaling a minimum of $30 just to make it worth the effort. It is usually $50+ for those of us who have been around for a while and made new friends. I don't send items Priority Mail unless they are going to Wade, but with that amount of $$ for cigars we are sending, why are we bitching about shipping costs anyway?

Most USPS people let is slide but the bottom line is they can either refuse to take it or return it to you if you turn them inside out.

I reuse the ones that I have piled up that my winnings came in from when I won CigarPool. I turn them inside out then wrap them in paper. Hey I recycle in order to wins points with the tree huggers.

Have I ever told you guy I won CigarPool twice this year ???

<CC ducks as objects get thrown at him> :D

sir-smokes-a-lot said:
I just noticed this. I'm a little slow today.

HaHaHa. <sarchasm>

We should get you on stage Mike...

And throw tomatoes at you!

I just use the priority box and wrap em like Christmas presents. The person at the post office informed me that if you DON'T wrap the box up and you try to mark off the priority printing or cover it with tape, then THAT is unacceptable. The materials at the PO is for shipping and clarity. But utilization is up to the sender.

Again, its up to the individual to determine what they want to. At about $1.75 per pkg first class, I can send to 2 people for the cost of 1 priority pkg. They both get there the same and doesnt make the cigars any better (or worse :p).

/me throws a nasty dog rocket at CC... just cuz. :D

vewyphishy said:
I just use the priority box and wrap em like Christmas presents. The person at the post office informed me that if you DON'T wrap the box up and you try to mark off the priority printing or cover it with tape, then THAT is unacceptable. The materials at the PO is for shipping and clarity. But utilization is up to the sender.

Again, its up to the individual to determine what they want to. At about $1.75 per pkg first class, I can send to 2 people for the cost of 1 priority pkg. They both get there the same and doesnt make the cigars any better (or worse :p).

/me throws a nasty dog rocket at CC... just cuz. :D
This package is the property of the US Postal Service and is provided solely for the use in sending Priority Mail. Misuse may be a violation of federal law.
Quoted from the priority mail box in front of me. Bottom line is the shipping material is accounted for in the PM pricing scale. If you use the gear, and don't pay for the gear you are ripping off the gov't. While it may not matter to you, the USPS has to recoup the cost for the service, which it does by raising prices on postage stamps. If the USPS still can't cover it's costs, then public taxes will subsidize the USPS. Then people like me pay for people too cheap to get their own shipping gear.

Emo

SD_Stack said:
sir-smokes-a-lot said:
I just noticed this. I'm a little slow today.

HaHaHa. <sarchasm>

We should get you on stage Mike...

And throw tomatoes at you!
well, they are a good source of lycopene, a chemical found in all red foods.
it is key to good health for men and reduces prostate cancer risks by a lot.

:thumbs:

as for $$ wise, (rolls up sleeves as he can tell that it might get ugly),
the correct ans. is I am a college student who makes a little cash at work-study each month. most goes to pay for school, some is saved, and even less is set aside for cigars.

so, since, relativly, my actual amt. of available cash is low, I have no prob. turning a box inside out and shipping it that way.
if it makes you feel any better, I will switch to cereal boxes. used one way, the boxes are for priority mail, the other, they are brown boxes to send through the mail.

if it is something really important, I would ship it priority, but lotto winnings and most trades can go reg. mail in my eyes.

So, in about 6-7 years after ~100 k in loans is paid off, and my job is going great, I will ship everything the other way around.

emo, I get what you're saying. But as I said, I was told that straight from the horses mouth, so to speak. I'm going to step out of this convo as to not add anymore un-needed fuel to the fire.

:)

It is one thing to do it. But it totally another thing to advocate others to do it.

Emo

as a side note, only ment this as an extra way to ship things.

no bad feelings to anyone, (yes that includes you USPS).

Didn't advocate anything. Just said what I was told and from my own experience.

*note to self* keep mouth shut on topics like these :p

Status
Not open for further replies.