• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chinese Chicken Salad~

We're having a Friday pot luck at my new online teaching job tomorrow . . . with an Asian, semi-vegetarian theme. More Asian than semi-vegetarian, lol! I volunteered to bring Chinese Chicken Salad, which I've eaten any number of times but never made, figuring there had to be recipes online. Found a couple tasty looking ones, combined them, added some personal creativity, and came up with:

Chinese Chicken Salad with Red Chile Peanut Dressing and Toasted Ramen

Dressing:

1/2 cup peanut oil
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 tbsp. chunky peanut butter
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. fresh ginger paste
2 tsp. sambal oelek
2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 tsp. minced garlic
3 dried Thai peppers, whole
pinch of sea salt
generous shake of sesame seeds

Put all ingredients in a vintage Osterizer and blend till smooth. Oh, okay, use any blender or food processor. It just won't be as cool as my beehive unit from the Fifties. :cool:

Salad:

Bag of angel hair coleslaw mix
Half a bag of Power Slaw mix
Half a bag of julienned carrots
Bag of snow peas, julienned
Couple handfuls of chopped green onions
Handful of chopped cilantro
Half a head of Romaine lettuce, cut for slaw

Throw it all in a large bowl.

Toasted Ramen:

Bag of slivered almonds
Two packages of ramen noodles

Crumble dry noodles into hot fry pan with a little peanut oil and a thick pat of butter. Add the slivered almonds. Whisk around until everything browns slightly, then set aside to cool.

Chicken:

Really, you can do anything you want for the chicken. Most recipes call for shredding the meat off a rotisserie chicken, which would probably be excellent. Hell, you could use smoked brisket or pulled pork if you wanted to! I bought a family size package of grilled chicken breast strips, and broke the pieces up into smaller pieces while sauteing them in teriyaki jerk sauce.

When the meat and ramen have cooled, add them to the salad mix, drizzle the dressing over it to taste, toss to mix, and refrigerate for a couple hours before serving. I skipped the "couple hours" part while making a small bowl to taste test the dressing . . . and then another small bowl . . . and gods, if I didn't need it for the pot luck tomorrow, I would've just kept eating! :rolleyes:

This is really, really good stuff. I'll try to take a pic tomorrow after I assemble it for the lunch.

~Boar

Sounds good, I looove Chinese chicken salad. I look forward to seeing the pics!!

It's going to be a GOOD potluck . . . there were two big crockpots going in the office kitchenette when I arrived and I was hard pressed to make room for this in the fridge! :D

12524150_10209207101204439_2262196560903310001_n.jpg

Nommity!

~Boar

That looks really good. I've never had any version of this.

Chikity China, the Chinese chicken.

Looks delicious!!!