• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Choosing the right box codes

ML237

On a prowl ...can't stop...lost my mind...up in sm
Hi All,

I am gettong some of my fav ISOM smokes, Trinidad Robusto Extra, and I can choose from different box codes. I know I want them to be aged as much as possible, but do not know should I be looking for preference between any specific months or factories?

This is what I am looking at: OIK OCT 04, OIK JUN 04, OIK JUL 04, OIK MAY 04 & IKR JUL 05, IKR ABR 05. Thanks for all your input & help with this.

Cheers

Milan

It would be nice to buy one from each factory and than compare. However, I do not think it matters that much; same tobacco but different factory. I do not have much experience but I do know that age would make the biggest delta. From the dates I see I would get the youngest if you wanted to smoke some right away – anything less than 6 months old. Cigars from 04 might be in there sick period. Furthermore, robustos suppose to stay in sick period longer. Therefore, longer wait before you truly taste the cigar. On the other hand you could have a box from 04 that is coming out of its sick period. This is the ideal situation I think. Few months rest from the trip you can dive in.

If I where you, I would go with the Jun 04 box.

Than again what do I know, I am just a newb. :laugh:

Great King Rat said:
It would be nice to buy one from each factory and than compare. However, I do not think it matters that much; same tobacco but different factory. I do not have much experience but I do know that age would make the biggest delta. From the dates I see I would get the youngest if you wanted to smoke some right away – anything less than 6 months old. Cigars from 04 might be in there sick period. Furthermore, robustos suppose to stay in sick period longer. Therefore, longer wait before you truly taste the cigar. On the other hand you could have a box from 04 that is coming out of its sick period. This is the ideal situation I think. Few months rest from the trip you can dive in.

If I where you, I would go with the Jun 04 box.

Than again what do I know, I am just a newb. :laugh:
[snapback]259451[/snapback]​

Thanks for your advise. I figure that I will probably want to leave them in the humi for some time (at least a month), although I know that I will end up burring some ASAP. I was initially wondering will the Trinis be in their sick period as they usually are IMO (and humble experience) always ready to be smoked out of the box.

So correct me if I am wrong? Your reasoning for choosing the Jun04 box is that there is a higher probability of them being out of sick period & ready for more immediate enjoyment.

Anyways thanks for sharing your thoughts & experiences on the subject.

So correct me if I am wrong? Your reasoning for choosing the Jun04 box is that there is a higher probability of them being out of sick period & ready for more immediate enjoyment.

No - they might be starting to come out of sick period. After few months in a humi you can test drive one, if it tastes muted you know it needs more time. If it tastes good, than you are golden.

There is no exact science. There are guidelines, which you kind of can formulate from. Nothing set in stone.

You can do searches on sick period for days and not come up with a concrete answer, what you will find out is that most folks agree on that cigars go into sick period when they are 6 months old and they come out of sick period when they have few years on them. Yadaa, Yadaa, Yadaaa… :laugh: .

Get both boxes and do a study; you can use me as a case study. :D Every 3 months you can smoke one and right down the characteristics of each stick.

ML,

Your best bet bar none is to ask your vendor what box code he would recommend based on your goal. Your goal could be something to smoke right away or something to age. Most quality vendor will be able to best advise you on their stock. Good Luck!

If you want them with as much age as possible then go with the June, 2004.

coventrycat86 said:
[snapback]259506[/snapback]​

:thumbs:

bfreebern said:
coventrycat86 said:

:thumbs:
[snapback]259553[/snapback]​

My recommendation as well. :thumbs:

coventrycat86 said:
Sorry Bill, but I have to jump on you on this one...for as much age as possible, I'd go with the MAY 04 box code. :whistling:

editted for spellyng.

Strayvector said:
coventrycat86 said:
Sorry Bill, but I have to jump on you on this one...for as much age as possible, I'd go with the MAY 04 box code. :whistling:

editted for spellyng.
[snapback]259601[/snapback]​

And ABR = April :p

Wurm said:
Strayvector said:
coventrycat86 said:

editted for spellyng.

[snapback]259635[/snapback]​

Stray, you are right...didn't pay enough attention to the months, only years. I would go with the MAY 04...same factory as the JUN, so should not be any quality difference.

The ABR (April) box is from 05...very fresh. My preference would be to not go with those.

Go for the oldest and be prepared to age them at least another 3-4 years. Out of all the new Trinidads the RE's have shown they need the most age.

They circulate the box codes around so much now that you can't really pinpoint what factory they are coming from.

So as everyone else sugested go for the ones from 04

I didn't even look, I just assumed Bill picked the oldest. Teaches me to trust Bill :laugh:

Wurm said:
Strayvector said:
coventrycat86 said:

editted for spellyng.

Since when is April of 2005 before May or June of 2004?

Oh no problem at at Strayvector, I was wrong and made a mistake. I wonder if wrum will admit he made one too?

Great King Rat said:

No - they might be starting to come out of sick period. After few months in a humi you can test drive one, if it tastes muted you know it needs more time. If it tastes good, than you are golden.

There is no exact science. There are guidelines, which you kind of can formulate from. Nothing set in stone.

You can do searches on sick period for days and not come up with a concrete answer, what you will find out is that most folks agree on that cigars go into sick period when they are 6 months old and they come out of sick period when they have few years on them. Yadaa, Yadaa, Yadaaa… :laugh: .

Get both boxes and do a study; you can use me as a case study. :D Every 3 months you can smoke one and right down the characteristics of each stick.
[snapback]259485[/snapback]​

Got'ya! I have to admit that doing the searches on "Sick periods" resulted in more questions & uncertainties then straightforward answers as you stated above -not an exact science at all.

I figure that going with well aged box should do the trick with repeated & continuous testing to research the matter first hand :D

Thanks for your input.

armedak said:
ML,

Your best bet bar none is to ask your vendor what box code he would recommend based on your goal. Your goal could be something to smoke right away or something to age. Most quality vendor will be able to best advise you on their stock. Good Luck!
[snapback]259496[/snapback]​

That is exactly what I have done simultaneously while checking with the rest of the experienced members. I think we have it figured out. Thanks Mate!

cigardawg said:
Wurm said:
Strayvector said:
coventrycat86 said:

editted for spellyng.

Stray, you are right...didn't pay enough attention to the months, only years. I would go with the MAY 04...same factory as the JUN, so should not be any quality difference.

The ABR (April) box is from 05...very fresh. My preference would be to not go with those.
[snapback]259645[/snapback]​

MAY04 is the one I was going for Cigardawg. I already had some from the same factory (year I do know know) and enjoyed them immensely. How wrong can I Trini be though? :p

The Master said:
Go for the oldest and be prepared to age them at least another 3-4 years. Out of all the new Trinidads the RE's have shown they need the most age.
[snapback]259651[/snapback]​

alexgtp said:
They circulate the box codes around so much now that you can't really pinpoint what factory they are coming from.

So as everyone else sugested go for the ones from 04
[snapback]259653[/snapback]​

That seems to be the overall consensus and that will be done! :cool:

Although Harris I do not think I will be able to age them for that long unless I find some "other" aged ones to have ready to burn (hint-hint :p ).

Thanks for your input Gents
!

For my taste they are incredible smokes with just a year of box age. Maybe I've just been lucky but the RE is quite possibly the best young cigar I've ever smoked. Still I would go with the oldest box code for sure.