• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Books and Publications

WyoSmoke

I did use the search function on this first, which resulted in me finding quite a few interesting and eye opening threads on how things are conducted around here that I took the time to read in their entirety.

Anyway, to not get overly lengthy here, my simple question is which books or publications on cigars do you read and what is your opinion of them?

Earlier threads mentioned one or two books, one of which is now in the realm of a $1200 price tag, and it seemed quite a distaste for Cigar Aficionado which had made the turn into more of men's lifestyle magazine than a respected source of reference. Most of what I found was quite dated and I would like some more up to date material to read and expand my knowledge of the hobby. I realize the best reference is most likely the forums here on CP, but I like to have different options available as I don't always have access to a network or wifi to be able to access the forums.

Any help that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated...

Mike

Edit to Add: I completely apologize here as I meant to post this in the lobby, not in the cigar related forum. Please relocate at will...

This is the perfect place to post your question.

Unfortunately, in my opinion Wi-Fi or web is where it's at. Unless you have 1200 bucks floating around there isn't a whole lot out there.

I'm a fan of Cigar Journal. I think it comes out quarterly, but it scratches my occasional itch for dead tree journalism. It's printed in Europe so takes a while to show up though.

Find a good few websites and blogs. No need to collect books and magazines, unless that's your thing. Most can be found in electronic versions also. You can find Min Ron Nee's book sometimes from a few hundred dollars. I have a collection of CA mags since May/June of 2007. Basically coinciding with the time I started smoking cigars for real. Or at least several Acid Kuba Kuba and Cohiba red dot toros. I've got a few books my wife has bought me as gifts over the years. The real value in those is that they're gifts from my wife. Some CA published, and a couple not.

Min Ron Nee's Encyclopedia was the one book I was referring to at a $1200 price tag, I think from the reviews I saw of it I may continue to seek a cheaper used version. I will also check the list that has been suggested and see what it entails. Thanks for the suggestions so far and as I presumed, I still expect CP and all of you fine folks here to be my best resources. That being said, I'll continue to search the archives, and as questions arise, if I think they're useful for all, I'll create a thread or if deemed only useful on more of an individual level I'll seek the wisdom of some of the more vetted members here.

-Mike

Edit for Grammar

I'll check that out tone-ny, thanks for the suggestion.
-Mike

I just read forums, blogs, etc. After 20 years, I decided to cancel my CA membership, as the magazine just doesn't focus enough on cigars anymore. It seemed to take a downhill turn back around 2008 or so...

I just read forums, blogs, etc. After 20 years, I decided to cancel my CA membership, as the magazine just doesn't focus enough on cigars anymore. It seemed to take a downhill turn back around 2008 or so...
This is what I'm saying! I read books, magazines and just about anything I could get my hands on for years. I came here and learned more in six months than I did in ten years of reading and smoking on my own.

JR Cigar had a rag, I think it was just called "Cigar". I have some buried somewhere. Good stories. Interesting review process. My all time favorite. (discontinued)

Most books are pretty pedestrian, except for MRN's book. "European Cigar Cult Journal" is decent. The rest leave me scratching my head.
Nino's site is excellent.
Save your money and spend it on cigars. Nothing beats the board, and experience.

All very sound advice, sounds like I'll just continue to stick around here and do as is always recommended... read more, post less...