• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cigar boxes in humi's

OahuGrown

hi, im new to this site, and fairly new to the art of cigars.

i've seen many pictures of cigar boxes in poeples humi's and i assume they have gars in them..
but how does that work? can the cigars age and absorb humidity through the cedar box they came in and through the cello that they'll probably be in?
i mean im pretty sure they can abosorb humidity though all that but wouldn't it take too long? and would they get the correct humidity percentage?

That would be correct.. Some here would disagree about leaving the cello on or off. I personally leave them the way they came from the factory. It does take longer to age that way.

Welcome
Frank

I don't think there is any disagreement about taking the cello off the box, just the sticks themselve. Yes, it will take longer to adjust to your humi if you leave the cigars in their box and with the cello around the sticks. It also implies that any changes will take some time to effect your sticks like if you forget to charge your humidifier or over charge it for that matter.

Cellophane is porous which allows the cigars to get the proper air/humidity. There have been many discussions on the board about this very topic. The consensus is usually about split and it really just comes down to personal preference. The good thing about cello is that it protects your cigars while cigars without cello (the bare-naked approach) is appealing to others because it tends to look nicer. Most of my sticks are bare-naked in my humi, but with some smokes like my Opus, Anejos and a few others, I just keep them in the cello that they came in to make sure they don't get damage as I move things around from time to time.

Ok, So you guys talked alot about the cello, but what about the box the cigs come in. Some of those boxes seem pretty airtight. I think it might be best to prop the lid open a bit to let the air circulate. What do you think??

I forgot to ask about rotation. Do you take the cigs from the bottom of an individual box and rotate them to the top? I assume the boxes within the humi get rotated as well?

Thanks for the help.

so you guys just leave the cellowrapping on the box too then?

so that's moisture going through the first cello box wrap then through the box then through the individually wrapped cigars?
would there be any noticable difference if i decided to just take the cigars out of the box but leave the

Remove the box overwrap.

Leave on the stick cello if you like. The sticks I take out of a box intending to smoke get their cello stripped. The sticks I intend to share or bomb keep their cello. Makes for a nicer, more protective presentation.

Most box overwraps are heat sealable shrink wrap. And that means polyethylene or polypropylene and these are not nearly as permeable to oxygen and moisture as cellophane (which cannot be shrink wrapped and heat sealed).

Wilkey

I still wonder how air/humidity can penetrate a cigar box that is closed. Hmmmmmmm.

I still wonder how air/humidity can penetrate a cigar box that is closed. Hmmmmmmm.

Most of them aren't all that air tight.

If it makes you feel better to prop them open, go ahead. In most cases it is not necessary and again adds an additional buffer for your cigars. Propping them open also makes stacking awkward. It is, however, up to you.

You will find that this hobby leaves quite a bit to your "personal preference" and that there aren't many hard and fast rules about the way you go about things. Experiment with suggestions and decide what works best for you.

Chances are if you have even the slightest bit of knowledge you'll know what can and will damage your cigars. The information is out there all over the place. How you maintain your stash is completely up to you as long as you provide the right temperature and humidity levels that make your cigars smoke the best for you. There really isn't a manual; figuring it out is half the fun!

:)