• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Burn Rate

BooBee

I searched but couldn't find an answer but, obviously I'm a newbie. My question is how do I get an even burn rate on my cigars?

I've been experimenting with different brands with a few Arturo Fuentes being my first batch of smokes and those burned nicely. Since that first batch I've had Romeo & Julietas and some St Luis Reys and those seem to burn very uneven. I'm toasting the front of cigar before a full light but not sure why I've been getting an uneven light lately. Is burn rate related to cigar brand? Or am I just lighting up wrong?

Some cigar are rolled badly. Any handmade product will occasionally have individual problems. Happens to the best of 'em.

Most likely issue relating to burn rate is humidity. Most B&M's typically overhumidify their smokes. Take one of the problem smokes, and keep in in your desk drawer (out of humidity control) for a few days, and try again.

Take one of the problem smokes, and keep in in your desk drawer (out of humidity control) for a few days, and try again.
I'll try that suggestion. Since my wife & I are newbs we keep only about 8-10 in our humidor at anytime and it's holding at 65% humidity with our Drymistat tube inside.

Dude, I love the name. You would be amazed at how humidity can be both your friend and your enemy. If a cigar is able to be squished then you can dry box it for a half day to a day which would allow it to dry out some and equalize the humidity some what. Dry boxing is as BS says, keep a ciagr in a drawer, or any other none humified area (some use empty cigar boxes). Dry boxing does not hurt the cigar at all, and you'll find out that certain cigars burn and taste better at a lower humidity then others. Basicly, cigars from a B&M will usually be over humidified, out of safety from the proprietor's stand point(usually 70-75% rH. You then buy the cigar and now place it in your humidor. The humidor humidity could increase and with the introduction of a cigar kept at a higher humidity then what you keep your own cigars at. It will take sometime for excess humidity to disipate. Having more cigars would help absorb the humidity faster, but opening up the humidor for a little bit could help disapate the humidity. If you are able to plan that far ahead, then begin dry boxing the cigar before you go to work, and by the time you get home, your set to smoke. Give the dry box method a shot, remember, if you dry it out too much, throw it back in your humidor for another day- at your stage, you cannot F up a cigar to the point of not being able to smoke it.