• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cigar collecting/rateing

syrinx

I have a few random thoughts on the hobby of collecting. I have had business` as well as hobbies that have been based on things collectable- and see a lot of things that parallel the cigar hobby. First off as we all know there is no best cigar - for every person, rather every cigar is someones favorite. However this thought often becomes lost in collecting/judging- that something rare must be good, or better than commonly available items. I know a certain amount of this has to be justification and rationalising, but does the rareness allow for a more forgiving palete without the smoker realising? On this same bend what about gift cigars? I have had times that i was reviewing cigars for a maker- and had to be tough about it, but many times I wonder if I am cutting a cigar slack because it was a gift. Next is the cigars rateings and hype factor. The onyx belicoso was the one that really exemplifies this phenom. It as we remember was rated at 94 by CA- and a bunch of online" experts" were all about it(yes men) then later when the dust settled and it was obvious that it was somehow a mistake, as the cigars leveled out to the upper 80s. All of a sudden a very good cigar for its price, or otherwise, was out in the cold with the smokers. And a lot of folks take that brand personally and bash it as if it were their fault that people felt they were "tricked"- when in reality if it had been judged without the 94 in mind it might have become a new fave. All and all what outside influences do you find keeping you from making easy judgments, or giving you false expectations? All I expect in a cigar is a good draw fairly even burn- and a non offensive taste!

syrinx said:
I have a few random thoughts on the hobby of collecting. I have had business` as well as hobbies that have been based on things collectable- and see a lot of things that parallel the cigar hobby. First off as we all know there is no best cigar - for every person, rather every cigar is someones favorite. However this thought often becomes lost in collecting/judging- that something rare must be good, or better than commonly available items. I know a certain amount of this has to be justification and rationalising, but does the rareness allow for a more forgiving palete without the smoker realising? On this same bend what about gift cigars? I have had times that i was reviewing cigars for a maker- and had to be tough about it, but many times I wonder if I am cutting a cigar slack because it was a gift. Next is the cigars rateings and hype factor. The onyx belicoso was the one that really exemplifies this phenom. It as we remember was rated at 94 by CA- and a bunch of online" experts" were all about it(yes men) then later when the dust settled and it was obvious that it was somehow a mistake, as the cigars leveled out to the upper 80s. All of a sudden a very good cigar for its price, or otherwise, was out in the cold with the smokers. And a lot of folks take that brand personally and bash it as if it were their fault that people felt they were "tricked"- when in reality if it had been judged without the 94 in mind it might have become a new fave. All and all what outside influences do you find keeping you from making easy judgments, or giving you false expectations? All I expect in a cigar is a good draw fairly even burn- and a non offensive taste!
[snapback]272596[/snapback]​
I dont have time to go into the whole post but here is something to chew on. When a manufacturer sends a box to be rated, be sure it is their best box. The tobacco is the first, the wrapper is the first, the roller is the first. It aged for X months. Then there is advertising dollars. Food for thought.

syrinx said:
All and all what outside influences do you find keeping you from making easy judgments, or giving you false expectations?

However this thought often becomes lost in collecting/judging- that something rare must be good, or better than commonly available items. I know a certain amount of this has to be justification and rationalising, but does the rareness allow for a more forgiving palete without the smoker realising?

On the first point, everything. The entire context of the experience contributes to the observations I make. But I can afford to allow this to be the case and in fact I welcome it because I don't do "objective" reviews. I enjoy my cigars. What I write that read like reviews are no more than an account of my experience.

In my experience, there are no false expectations. Only expectations that are either unfounded or unmet.

In the former case, expecting a Trilogy Maduro to deliver like an Ashton Aged Maduro might be reasonable. Like a PAM64, a stretch. Like a Serie 1926 maduro-no basis in reality. In other words, unfounded. However, you could get lucky and it might actually happen, however unlikely.

In the latter case, a PadroNut might smoke a PAM64 that was just not up to snuff. He had a reasonable expectation based on experience with the product that just did not come to pass. In other words, unmet. He got unlucky and it happened, however unlikely.

On the second point, the "halo" of rarity and desirability can certainly affect our perceptions as well as our expectations. Only experience and confidence in one's own abilities can diminish the undue power of these factors. We need to be able to listen to what our senses are telling us and trust that voice.

For some reason, I always enjoy more the sticks given to me by friends and I always enjoy less the cigars I smoke when I'm unhappy.

Wilkey

I agree attitude has a lot to do with it, although I find cigars to be a great stress reliever! And also the cigars I have rated for factories got big thumbs down. What I have trouble with are sticks that are gifted or blind tasted where I have nothing but the flavor to go by. Its easy to say "I like this" or not, but much harder to grade past that. I also will admit my original thread missed most of the points I really intended to make- and is confusing at best!

syrinx said:
All and all what outside influences do you find keeping you from making easy judgments, or giving you false expectations? All I expect in a cigar is a good draw fairly even burn- and a non offensive taste!

Cigar scores are the biggest outside influence that give me false expectations. I don't have any problem in making an easy judgement or subjective review. For myself, an "easy judgement" is whether I like the cigar or not, it doesn't matter if the cigar was gifted, populararity, price point or rareity if I don't like it I don't like it. Now, I am quite intrigued when I see a cigar getting high scores or a lot of interest on the board and I may purchase a few in order to sample said cigar. But when purchasing larger amounts, or boxes, it is based on my subjective review.

I find this is topic to be very similar in the world of wines, there are a lot of people who will buy wines strictly based on points, we call them point chasers. Go into any wines store after Wine Spectator puts out its "Top 100 Wines" and you'll see people walking around with magazine in hand making large wine purchases, having never sampling these wines. If people want to purchase wine that way it's up to them but there is so much good wine out there that is never reviewed by WS or Robert Parker, why let a panel of judges or one man tell you what is good.

:cool:

Well said, NorCal. An expression comes to mind" "Some people know the cost of everything but the value of nothing" or something like that.

Well, I’ll give you some credit on your thoughts since I think you do have some valid points. I think people go into certain sticks with the idea that it took them a lot of work to get them or there super expensive so they must be good. As for gifted being that where all raised to be nice we look for the good qualities in gifts and exploit them, IE it’s got a great draw. When all in all I wouldn’t buy one myself. I personally feel people only pay allot for cigars because they want to. I’ve seen 64 ana going for 25 a stick. Everyone taking about how great it is. To be honest I’m not all that impressed by them. Give me a anjo for 9$ or a Punch for 6 and I’m more satisfied.

I value the reviews of members here much more than any cigar magazine ratings. Just look at the CA top 50 cigars they had a couple issues ago; I really don't care for about half of them.

I value the mag scores only due to blind tasting. I have noticed that they often have cubans that are box aged a couple years and I don`t think that is fair dinkum.... I like to blind taste cigars, and often will have the mrs pull a band off something for me. I do put great value on what the group here says- it is much more positive and informative. I have often tried a cigar- not cared for it and given it a second or third chance based on reviews here.

I pay no attention to ratings by any magazine. The only time I try anything new is if someone I know whose opinion I value, tells me I should try one.