• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Cutters on Planes?

Cooke

Does anyone have any experience with whether guillotine cutters fit within TWA's standards for carry-on items? I usually carry my cutter in my pocket but I don't want it confiscated when I pass through security. Or does the type of cutter matter?

I'm sure type matters. Anything that can be construed easily as a weapon will have issues. That being said, I've taken the cheap single blade cutters through and a Xicar without issues.

When in doubt, pack it in your checked bags and carry a cheap plastic one. :)

---John Holmes...

A couple of nights ago, I was out at PDX picking up a buddy. While I was waiting, I wandered over and asked a TSA guy this very question. "Not a problem" was the answer. Not sure if I'd bet my Xikar or my Palio on that, but it's one data point. I'm going to do some more research myself, as I'm flying back to NY for the Quad State Herf. Hate to be stuck with a "throw away" cutter for the weekend..... :p

Cheers - B.B.S.

Edit - This sheet from the TSA, dated 11-07 specifically says cutters are OK.

I have taken my Palio through security many times, had it examined and given back. It hasn't been a problem for me at all.

Edited: Until I lost it. Now, I can't take my SAK through.

I've never had a problem in the past. If you are worried, the TSA website states that they are permitted in you carry on. I usually keep a copy of this site on me when i travel.

TSA prohibeted/permitted items

Edit: Looks like i took too long

PM Preembargo. The shop that he works at (Tobacco Road) sells a punch that is allowed on planes, and if it is confiscated the company will replace it at no cost. Pretty cool concept by which it is made too.
B

PM Preembargo. The shop that he works at (Tobacco Road) sells a punch that is allowed on planes, and if it is confiscated the company will replace it at no cost. Pretty cool concept by which it is made too.
B

Designed by Gary Kemegian who is known for having created and manufactured some of Davidoff's popular cutters. The Atoll Eye Cutter has been designed to comply with the TSA (Transportation Security Administration) criteria to be carried on-board airplanes.

A rounded cigar head fits snuggly inside the outer circle aligning the cutter's inner circle with the center of the cigar head. Gently press the cigar to the circle -- actually a spring-loaded retractable blade -- and the sharp edge is exposed, punching a perfectly round hole in the cigar cap.

I've taken my Xikar on my last 2 round-trips. It's only been looked at once. And whenever I take it, I pack it in my travel 'dor, with a printed copy of what's allowed and what's not straight from the TSA site. The last trip, when thye looked at it, I pulled the page out right away to show them, and they packed it back up.

I travel just about every week. My dual bladed Palio has never been taken. I don't take it every trip but probably half the time. Now with that said, I've also found that every TSA person seems to interpret the rules differently. I've experienced much more scrutiny at JFK than anywhere else and since I fly to/from JFK approx twice a month, I just stopped bringing it there to be safe.

We all know which one I'm talking about.

picture.JPG

I've taken my Xikar on my last 2 round-trips. It's only been looked at once. And whenever I take it, I pack it in my travel 'dor, with a printed copy of what's allowed and what's not straight from the TSA site. The last trip, when thye looked at it, I pulled the page out right away to show them, and they packed it back up.

That's a GREAT idea. I'll start doing the same.

Once again.... they are allowed along with soft flame lighters.

I have taken my Palio through security many times, had it examined and given back. It hasn't been a problem for me at all.

Edited: Until I lost it. Now, I can't take my SAK through.

I also have had no problem with my Palio in my carry on bag. Never even had it examined.

BBS thanks for that link I printed it out as I always seem to question what I can and cannot take with me.