• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar fermentation

Burnt Tongue

No Tastebuds...
I have often read here in these posts the relationship of nicotine and the so called buzz that some cigars produce. I was wondering if that was an incorrect analogy. I was thinking that the so called buzz might be related to the fermentation process and not the nicotine. After all aren’t beer and wine fermented? Is that not the process that gives beer and wine that alcohol buzz? Then I dd some research on the fermentation process of cigar tobacco to see if I could find anywhere a relationship to the fermentation process to the buzz feeling.

I found this quote from Tony Borhani of Bahia Cigars. “Unfortunately, the cigar makers give in to that demand and they make cigars that are strong but what it is, is excess nicotine. Green, young, unfermented tobaccos that all it does is give you a headache or a buzz instead of the aroma and array of flavors, that’s what I look for in a cigar. Not something that will give me a buzz or make me sit down.”

So I guess what I have discovered is that fermentation does exactly the opposite of what I had originally thought. It actually reduces the likely hood of getting a buzz and cigars that give you that feeling are incorrectly aged and have a larger amount of nicotine in them

Below are some quotes and the sources I could find regarding fermentation:

“Decomposition of foodstuffs generally accompanied by the evolution of gas. The best-known example is alcoholic fermentation, in which sugar is converted into alcohol and carbon dioxide. During fermentation organic matter is decomposed in the absence of air (oxygen); hence, there is always an accumulation of reduction products, or incomplete oxidation products. Some of these products (for example, alcohol and lactic acid) are of importance to humans, and fermentation has therefore been used for their manufacture on an industrial scale. There are also many microbiological processes that go on in the presence of air while yielding incomplete oxidation products. Good examples are the formation of acetic acid (vinegar) from alcohol by vinegar bacteria, and of citric acid from sugar by certain molds (for example, Aspergillus niger). These microbial processes, too, have gained industrial importance, and are often referred to as fermentations, even though they do not conform to L. Pasteur's concept of fermentation as a decomposition in the absence of air. See also Industrial microbiology.”

http://www.answers.com/topic/fermentation

“Step 2: First Fermentation
Once the leaves are dry they are placed in piles and covered with burlap. This allows the remaining moisture to initiate the fermentation process, giving the leaves their brown color while lowering the tar and nicotine levels.”

http://www.godominicanrepublic.com/main.as...s/cigars_en.xml

“Cigar tobacco reaches the factory after a series of 60 day periods: 60 days to germinate seeds before transplanting to a field; 60 days to grow the tobacco plant to maturity; 60 days for a complete harvest, which ends with around one month of drying in a tobacco-curing barn followed by a series of fermentation. In the fermentation stage, workers pile slightly moistened tobacco in huge bulks or stacks; temperatures inside the bulks may reach as high as 140 degrees as the cigar "sweats" during the early stages of the fermentation. When the temperature reaches the highest point that the tobacco expert deems proper, workers deconstruct the bulks to lower the temperature, a process called turning. Some tobacco may be turned up to three or four times and remoistened before fermentation finally ceases. The process releases ammonia from the tobacco and other impurities. “

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/CA_Da...347,449,00.html

“Fermentation is a unique factor which distinguishes Cohiba Cigars. Tobacco for other Cuban cigars undergoes only two fermentations, while the leaves of Cohiba cigars go through a third fermentation. The fermentation process may take as long as 18 months and it is this process that gives Cohiba cigars their finesse and refinement. Another advantage of third fermentation is that it reduces the nicotine and tar in Cohiba cigars.”

http://www.cuban-cigars-club.com/cohiba-cuban-cigar.htm

I hope you find this as informative and interesting as I did.

Nice info, Paul. I've been reading the much less accessible academic papers on tobacco curing and fermentation but you've captured it in a nutshell: Fermentation effects several classes of chemical changes, one of the most crucial being the reduction of nicotine by 35-85%.

It's interesting to note that a cigar's nicotine content can be manipulated by fermentation as well as leaf blend. Some leaves (such as the ligero) contain more nicotine to start with so full fermentation will leave more residual nicotine, thus the ligero punch in cigars like the LFD DL Chisel.

Wilkey

I read somewhere that the fermentation of tobacco also releases ammonia. They say that's all you smell in the air during the fermentation progress.

I was a bit confused with your initial questions. I don't think fermentation has a relation to the buzz feeling. The fermentation of grapes and hops produce alcohol as a byproduct. Alcohol gives you the buzz feeling. With tobacco, the nicotine is already there. If you dried the tobacco and skip the fermentation process, I think you will still get a buzz from smoking it.

With all this buzz talk, I wonder if anyone ever thought about fermenting wacky tobacky.

The fermentation of grapes and hops produce alcohol as a byproduct. Alcohol gives you the buzz feeling.

Just to clarify....alcohol in beer comes from the fermentaiton of maltose, which is extracted from malted grains. The hops are added mainly to add bitterness, and AFAIK, add nothing to the alcohol content.

Off topic I know, but I couldn't pass it up. Good info, BT :thumbs:

Yeah if you go into one of the rooms where tobacco is fermenting, it's damn hard not to wince. Very very pungent odor.

I find that smell heavenly-- I guess because I know what its leading to.
The manipulation of nicotine content via fermentation is, I would say, a misstatement. You manipulate the flavors and aromas via fermentation and nicotine may be altered as a byproduct. If you're making cigarettes perhaps nicotine content is the point. If you're making cigars, flavor, aroma, burn quality and slow happy smjoking satisfaction is the point.

It's impossible to divorce the reduction of nicotine from the other organic changes that occur during fermentation. It is not a secondary objective. It is essential to the process of converting tobacco from something that would be completely unsmokeable and noxious into something that can be enjoyed with a minimum of biological health impact.

If reduction of nicotine content were not critical, then just imagine smoking a cigar that is composed of not just pure ligero, but 5 times more powerful ligero for every single leaf in the bunch, binder, and wrapper. I've smoked a tiny cigarillo made of properly fermented 100% ligero and it was harsh, punishing. I could not finish it and it was the size of a 3" long pencil.

I agree that cigarette design entails the purposeful manipulation of nicotine content to insure the development and support of addiction. I also agree that all those quality characteristics you mentioned are pertinent to cigar design. However, I would clarify that nicotine level is a consideration for cigar producers because this is the primary variable they manipulate (either through fermentation or leaf selection) to make a cigar more or less strong.

Wilkey