• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar gone bad?

parade

I have a few Ashton Monarch in tubes. When I got them, I simply removed the caps and threw them in humidor to sit for a while. They've been in there for a month or so now. I finally got a chance to take the cigars out and took a look. Some of them have appear to be some kind of tree sap on them. They don't wipe off with light touches and seems to be slightly sticky. Bad sign?

I have a few Ashton Monarch in tubes. When I got them, I simply removed the caps and threw them in humidor to sit for a while. They've been in there for a month or so now. I finally got a chance to take the cigars out and took a look. Some of them have appear to be some kind of tree sap on them. They don't wipe off with light touches and seems to be slightly sticky. Bad sign?
Sounds like you got some sap exuding from the cedar liner. IIRC, the King B's had this same issue. I think that folks just sort of smoked through it. Probably wouldn't try to remove it for fear of tearing the wrapper.

Wilkey

If they are wrapped in cedar the cedar can contain sap.........Never saw that happen on a cuban.......

Well, I was having problem deciding what I wanted to smoke tonight. I guess I'll smoke one of these!

I've also had some sap from the cedars on a few fuentes (King B's, chateau, etc..) and they've smoked fine. I see it as just another reason to smoke it now. :)

Had this happen a few times. No issues, just smoke away.

This should not happen from a cedar tube liner. There are two kinds of Spainish Cedar, one of them is called Weeping Spainish Cedar. This type will produce a sap and should never be used wih cigars. It sounds like the manufacturer got a hold of some of this type in error. Here is a description from Internetlumber.com:

Spanish Cedar Wood

"Spanish Cedar wood is a popular Central and South American wood that was harvested centuries ago by Indians in the Amazon region for use in building canoes. Today, this wood is still popular for boat building purposes, and has expanded its influence to North America as well. Spanish Cedar is a widely used choice for furniture, musical instruments, and cigar humidors.

There are some special considerations to keep in mind when fashioning cigar humidors out of Spanish Cedar, however. You must ensure that you choose a variety of this wood that is non-weepy (full of sap). Most companies only carry this kind, but it is important to make sure because if the wood has a lot of sap, it can ruin your cigars at high temperatures.

Spanish Cedar is a very fragrant wood with a cedar-like smell. Despite its name, however, Spanish Cedar is actually not cedar at all. It comes from a deciduous tree that produces an oil that gives off the decidedly cedar smell. This is how the tree got its name. The wood of the tree is pinkish-red and will deepen in color over time. Its uniform texture and fine grain make it a truly beautiful wood to behold. "

I would think it would not make the cigar unsmokable but would give it an unatural cederay flavor. I hope this helps! ;)

Had an opus that had shiny sap spots all over. Smoked just fine..

I did have it happen from a box of seleccion robustos from cuba....But never from a tube...The sap was not there when first purchased.......When I saw evidence of the sap I removed all cigars.........Luckily the sap location never touched the cigars..... A year later looking into the empty box I couldnt believe how much sap extruded from the wood.........actual droplets amazing..........

Bob

I was always under the opinion that the shiny spots on cigars was from the glue on the band. This is just my observation though, I have no proof of that.

I was always under the opinion that the shiny spots on cigars was from the glue on the band. This is just my observation though, I have no proof of that.

I was under the impression that the shiny specks on most opus were from the crystalized oils of the cigar as I have seen this on opus without the cedar wraps.

I was under the impression that the shiny specks on most opus were from the crystalized oils of the cigar as I have seen this on opus without the cedar wraps.

That is bloom and would appear over most of the cigar. I was reffering to patches of glossy areas near the band.

That is bloom and would appear over most of the cigar. I was reffering to patches of glossy areas near the band.

Definitely not glue. Shiny spot all over the cigar, end to end.

I took this as being extra pectin(glue) from when the band is put on the cigar.