• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Got Too Hot!

Jam1173

I am looking for someone to explain to me what it means when a cigar gets too hot, and how do you know it is getting too hot. Does this affect the cigar in a negative way and how?

Thanks

Sometimes, (Just my opinion/take now) when someone gets too close to any paticular cigars last third, it gets too hot. Meaning that the cigars burn gets too hot, to where the temp feels too hot on your lips, and taste buds. This definitely affects the flavor that you experience as well.

Have you ever noticed that if you go too long between draws, and that you try too hard and fast, to draw to strengthen a weak burn. That the taste is unpleasent? This is usually because the smoke that you are getting is too hot after drawing on it too quickly.

Kind of hard to explain other than that. Maybe someone else can do better than I did at describing the term hot.

Hot burn makes it taste bitter.

'Suggest puffing once every minute or so to keep it cool.

Hot burn makes it taste bitter.

'Suggest puffing once every minute or so to keep it cool.

Yeah, I'm no aficionado, but I will say slow down on the last third of your stick. Take your time puffin', I know I sometimes get impatient and try to start drawing alot, but then it ruins it for me. Just take your time, sip on your brew or coffee, and count the blades of grass LOL!

Let usknow if it gets better!

The cigar can get "hot" at any stage due to drawing too hard and too frequently. Whenever this happens, purge the cigar (blow into it a few times), let it sit
for a few minutes.

Brian

I am looking for someone to explain to me what it means when a cigar gets too hot, and how do you know it is getting too hot. Does this affect the cigar in a negative way and how?
You've gotten some good responses. :thumbs:

The temperature of consumable products often does affect the taste imparted by them. Quite often the affect is as follows: Cold subdues flavor; room temperature reveals (somewhat) optimal flavor; extreme heat bitters flavor. Cigar smoke often taste harsh when one's cigar is burning "hot". In my opinion, a cigar is hot at any time that its body is warmer to the touch than is normal.

A hot cigar may be a result of either smoking too quickly/deeply and/or the cigar is not at optimal humidity. A dry cigar just naturally burns hot. That is an easy concept to grasp. Dry materials burn quick. However, a moist cigar may also burn hot. It has to "work" (burn) harder to keep lit. All contribute to a hot/harsh smoking experience.

The hotter a cigar is (assuming it is of proper humidity range), I suggest to smoke slower and shallower until it has recovered to a "normal" temperature. One must compensate for various factors, such as remaining cigar length, ambient atmospheric humidity, etc. I take very shallow draws when nearing the end of a cigar's "life".

Don't forget to periodically purge.