• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar hobby + College student income = bad

If you students are interested in superb but cheap, look no further than Flor De Ybor City. They are all Arturo Fuente tobacco seconds and they are delicious.

To echo whatever one else has said, the Newbie Sampler thread is the place to go. Explain what you're willing to spend and what you're looking for ( everyday cigars vs a mix of everyday and maybe some thing a little nicer).

When I first started I bought a lot of cigars because the price was good and I was smoking once a day at least. Now I smoke less often but its a higher quality. Someone once said life is to short to smoke bad cigars.

If you are looking to buy a box Padron Londres and x000s series are good cigars at good prices (honestly pretty much anything from Padron is worth the price). I would add Sancho Panza Double Maduros to the list as well as *blasphemy* Guhrka Micro Batch TPB-1 "boxed pressed lonsdale" *blasphemy* I was surprised by the quality and constancy of both.

It was nice knowing you Brandon. You can GFYS next year at Padron.

Who said you were invited back? Should we put this to a vote?

Carlos Torano puts out some very tasty smokes at great price points---the Exodus 1959 can be had at about $3 a stick by the box, and only gets better with a little humi time. Joya de Nicaragua Antano, Sancho Panza (although I have construction issues with them) are also good.

My favorite dirt cheap cigar is a Cuban machine roll, Jose D. Piedra. I like the Brevas especially.

~Boar

Arturo Fuente is based in Tampa. Thats where I live haha

Im hoping to find better prices for that reason.

Thanks guys!

As a fellow college student, I sympathize with ya!

Try the A. Fuente Curlyhead its cheap but made from good tobaccos.

I love the Panacea cigars they are AWESOME! they do have seconds that are cheaper and trust me, you wont be able to tell they are seconds and you can get a fourpack of seconds for less than 20 bucks. Panacea Seconds Link

John Bulls are from CI and the crown coronas come 30 to a box at 39.99 and are a nice consistant smoke for a great value.John Bull Link

also if you want to see what some of the bigger cigars taste like look for some of the mini cigars like CAO makes a lot of small little cigars perfect for that inbetween classes smoke without wasting a full size cigar and you get a taste for the bigger ones. The MX2 is a good middle of the road, and the criollo is a spicy meatball!

The Flor De Olivia MADURO is also a nice bundle cigar 20 for $50.00 has a nice sweetness to it.

Hope this helps. Oh and there is also a cheap cigar review thread on here somewhere that is realy informative.

If you students are interested in superb but cheap, look no further than Flor De Ybor City. They are all Arturo Fuente tobacco seconds and they are delicious.

Really? ??? Got proof?

Unless Tampa Sweethearts started selling non-Fuente products, then yes they are AF product. Edit: Though I may be wrong about them being seconds; I read that somewhere when I first found out about them but am now unable to find a link.

http://tampasweetheart.com/?page=shop/browse&category_id=55f77c853ea78762a663ffffa93b3fb3&PHPSESSID=f74954408ab061d78c59a272f2671ba7

[edit2]

I have found a non-autoratative source: http://lounge.cigarfamily.com/archive/index.php/t-107119.html but reading further down the page refutes this. Maybe they aren't; maybe they're just a low cost AF brand.
The Flor de Ybor City are long filler Fuente seconds (green band). The Tampa Sweethearts are also Fuente seconds, but they're short filler. Both of these are rejected sticks that don't meet the Arturo Fuente quality standards. They're seconds becasue they either have flawed wrappers or they weigh too much, which is thought to indicate a poor draw. Here's a mapping of the Ybor City to the AF
Ybor #80 = ???(shortened Dbl. Chateau)
Ybor Corona = Cuban Corona
Ybor #1 = Curly Head Deluxe
Ybor Presidente = Canones
Ybor Toro = Rothchild or Chateau Fuente
Ybor #85 = Flor Fina 8-5-8
Ybor Pierce = Churchill
Ybor #270 = Seleccion Privada #1 It's pretty much a crap shoot with seconds. Some may burn right up on you and some may draw like a wooden stick, but some may just look flawed and smoke just fine. For about 1/2 of the price, you decide ..

When in college I was not only working for a cigar shop, but also extremely active here. Slippery slope indeed. I over-bought on too many occasions and even got burned a couple times. Lessons learned the hard way, but in the end...everything works out and there are plenty of cost-efficient and affordable smokes for you to get your hands on. To better enjoy the complexity in the industry I tried to stay away from the bulk cigars made by General and Altadis (like RyJ, punch and macanudo) and drifted more towards Tatuaje, DPG, LFD, Padron, Fuentes, ISOM's and Ashtons. :love:

You can do it man, it's tough...but don't make the mistake of letting your desires surpass the size of your wallet. Not worth it, trust me. I'm just bull-headed and had to learn for myself. :blush:

:cool:

You can do it man, it's tough...but don't make the mistake of letting your desires surpass the size of your wallet. Not worth it, trust me. I'm just bull-headed and had to learn for myself. :blush:

So are you saying you need to sell some of those goodies you're sitting on? :whistling:

:laugh:

Edit: Though I may be wrong about them being seconds.

Now we are getting somewhere... ;) :laugh:

Lol, smug sonofabum. :p You remind me of my high school literature teacher. "Oh, is that really what he meant by that?"

(thanks for making me do my homework)

It's important to have the facts...and have them in order.

From the linky that RP posted...it says:
"Naturally, both blends are made at the Tabacalera A. Fuente factories in the Dominican Republic, using the ingredients so familiar to fans of Fuente cigars: Dominican-grown binder and filler leaves surrounded by Connecticut Shade, Connecticut Broadleaf maduro or Ecuadorian sun-grown wrappers.

<LI>Flor de Ybor City is an old brand, sold by the Fuente family in Tampa in the 1970s, but left behind as the city's luster as the U.S. cigar capital faded and production moved offshore. The current edition is mild with the Connecticut Shade wrapper and a bit stronger with the maduro or Ecuadorian wrappers"

Yours is a secondary source as well and I'd question both.

Here's what Fuente has onthe website:
Flor de Ybor City Cigars are hand-rolled of the best imported tobaccos manufactured with skilled painstaking workmanship by Tabacalera A. Fuente y Compania. Master craftsmen with a lifetime of experience in the blending of the finest tobacco give these cigars a mild, rich, satisfying, full flavored taste for those who care to achieve a new plateau in cigar smoking pleasure. All cigars are bundled in packs of 20 cigars, except for the sampler pack. Flor de Ybor cigars come with a Connecticut Shade natural wrapper or Connecticut Broadleaf Maduro wrapper. Our specially made Belicoso and No. 85 are available with an Ecuadorian Sun Grown natural wrapper.

So, are they seconds?

BTW, I have it on good intel that all of the 'seconds' are ground up and put into moki's espresso each morning .

Haha. I like you guys. You like having your facts straight. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Tampa sweetharts is in Ybor The flor de ybor line is a lower price option that I like
the lancero maduro is great

Don

edit to add

I guess I should read the whole thread before posting sorry

They are down the street from my class tomorrow :D I will stop in and see whats what!

I am a Sophomore at MSU. The best way I found to cope with the hobby was by getting a job and making sure the hobby didn't become a smoking habit. Cigars are much better when you have them once to every two weeks, that way you can spend a decent amount of money on a single cigar instead of buying a bunch of dog rockets. ;)

Yep! I just recently graduated (`09) and I picked up this hobby during my Freshman year. I was able to survive on a budget and get cigars (some rockets LOL, but some good ones). I suggest you buy online to save yourself money...cigarbid.com is a great place to purchase cigars, but becareful...it's addicting and ALWAYS DO YOUR RESEARCH before you bid!! Most importantly, don't try to mooch from members here...this is a very special community that I'd hate to see you get kicked out from!

Well In one of my first posts I realized I sounded like a moocher so I tried to correct myself ha!

Hopefully no one will take me that way!

Thanks for all your advice guys, I really appreciate it. I have an interview a the golf course I live on, so hopefully that will be some extra money for my hobby.