• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Hut

CoastieET90

Okay, I haven't seen this question asked before, so I'm going to ask it. Earlier tonight, a cigar smoking friend and I were talking about turning a shed at the house that he lives in into a cigar/pipe smoking hut of sorts. We have already figured out what we would like to put in it as far as heat and lights go (we live in Alaska.....heat is mildly important....:laugh:), but I'm having a problem figuring out what we should do about the smoke, obviously we should put a vent in to let the smoke escape, BUT!!! Do we put it in the top, and just let the smoke escape naturally, or do we put it in the side, with an internal fan that pushes the air out. The problem we keep running into, is the heat also getting out. Any suggestions/past experiences shared would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

Rob

There are a few members here who have done this project. One that comes to mind is Gary (ironpeddler). He and his friends did a great job, and the pictures, etc. might give you some insight on what to do.

Even if you don't have the budget they did, you still get the idea on electrical, HVAC, and ventilation.

PM him and I'm sure he'll offer great advice if needed.

Man Cave, thread one!

Man Cave, thread two!

Okay, I haven't seen this question asked before, so I'm going to ask it. Earlier tonight, a cigar smoking friend and I were talking about turning a shed at the house that he lives in into a cigar/pipe smoking hut of sorts. We have already figured out what we would like to put in it as far as heat and lights go (we live in Alaska.....heat is mildly important....:laugh:), but I'm having a problem figuring out what we should do about the smoke, obviously we should put a vent in to let the smoke escape, BUT!!! Do we put it in the top, and just let the smoke escape naturally, or do we put it in the side, with an internal fan that pushes the air out. The problem we keep running into, is the heat also getting out. Any suggestions/past experiences shared would be greatly appreciated. :thumbs:

Rob

Where did you look?

--------------------------------------

I put a Vent free NG heater in my garage - 30K btu. You can also get it for propane...min. 100lb tank required.
Aside from vent free heating...I also got it with 'radiant' heating (ceramic plates).

My friend has the standard 'blue' flame heater at his house. He was unsure of the 'radient' option..but found it better than what he has.

(one heats the air- the other the objects in the space(radiant))

As for regular air flow...crack a window...the heat will help expel the smoke.

Oh...the heater can be placed on legs...here's where I got mine.

I assume you're going to be using a conventional air blown heater? I would mount the heater low, and put an exhaust pipe out the roof, with a small 3" fan mounted on the ceiling in the exhaust pipe blowing outward. Smoking in a confined space with dirty air is never pleasant. Don't be too concerned about losing warm air; the same amount of air blow into the shed will also escape, otherwise your shed would explode. :) Just use a small fan and exhaust pipe to direct it out of the roof. You could also plug in a small air purifier. Just my 2 cents...

Thanks for the input. And I don't know Levi....... Where could that house possibly be? :laugh:

We were talking about just using space heaters. Lol. But now that it's mentioned, oil makes a LOT more sense.

As for not seeing the question, I did a search for cigar shed, cigar hut.......etc.

The Man Cave was a great BOTLs story. :thumbs:

We got to talking, we're not thinking of spending NEARLY as much money as some other people have, we're just pretty much going to make it safe to smoke in, warm, and bug/spider free. Probably just going to plug the holes, throw a space heater, a couple of outdoor lights, rigged up to an extension cord. Now of course there are going to be the necessary items as well.....a table to play cards on (and chairs to go with it....).....and a surge protector for phone chargers. It probably wont be as nice as a man cave, but it will definitely serve the same sort of purpose. :laugh:

Coastie I say start with that and add as needed and it will turn into what you want. I'm looking into creating my own smoke house/man cave as well for winter smoking. Have fun with it!!

There are a few members here who have done this project. One that comes to mind is Gary (ironpeddler). He and his friends did a great job, and the pictures, etc. might give you some insight on what to do.

Even if you don't have the budget they did, you still get the idea on electrical, HVAC, and ventilation.

PM him and I'm sure he'll offer great advice if needed.

Man Cave, thread one!

Man Cave, thread two!

Those two threads ought to be saved in a sticky somewhere. Maybe add a link to an "essential reads" topic or something.

So, when using pest bombs, seal the area BEFORE you set them off.....otherwise you inevitably end up inhaling some of the fumes...... :thumbs: I ended up at medical on oxygen the next day. :laugh: I then went home and slept until this morning when I had to get up for work........:laugh: I thought i would share that experience, the shed is coming along, it's been bombed (twice using 4 bombs total) I don't remember spiders getting this big in Kodiak. :laugh: The shed is cleaned and awaiting a table and chairs (we're going REALLY low budget here,

- - UPDATE - -

We have used the shed a few times, have a kitchen table in there, and a fan that I rigged up to move the air around. We still have a space heater in there, though we need to run power. The work has ceased for the winter, so there haven't been many changes since the last update, other than the table and fan. If I end up renting Levi's place this summer, I'm sure I'll put a little bit more work into the shed, if not, I'm sure that's as sophisticated as it's going to get.

:thumbs:

Rob