• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Identification Contest

JFellows

I had success running a similar contest on a different board last year, so I figured I'd kick off my membership here at CP in the same fashion!

The basics:

- I'll post a picture of each of the next 30 cigars I smoke, as I smoke them.

- One point will be awarded to the first person, per cigar, to correctly identify the brand AND line of the cigar. For example, "Partagas" would be awarded 0 points, but "Partagas Spanish Rosado" would be awarded one point.

- The cigar will be clearly visible, but I'll obscure the band in such a way that it will require previous knowledge/future research to identify the cigar. Only one guess per person per cigar, and I'll either award a point or indicate that the guess was incorrect, and leave it open for the next person to guess. If a large number of incorrect guesses forces me to post a hint, then everyone can guess a second time.

- My class/work schedule is pretty crazy, so I'll end up posting the pictures at all times of the day (and night). Hopefully this will make it fair for members here who have 9-5s that prevent them from accessing the site during the day.

- The winner will be the person with the most points out of a possible 30. Asshats = excluded.

Point Tally:

BamBam = 5
TheMoneyCollector = 4
ManInBlack = 2
Jeff B. = 2
The Green Monkey = 2
Nasty = 1
Peeejster = 1

I had success running a similar contest on a different board last year, so I figured I'd kick off my membership here at CP in the same fashion!

The basics:

- I'll post a picture of each of the next 30 cigars I smoke, as I smoke them. I generally smoke between one and three a week when I'm on campus (which I am right now), but if it's particularly nice out then that number will increase.

- One point will be awarded to the first person, per cigar, to correctly identify the brand AND line of the cigar. For example, "Partagas" would be awarded 0 points, but "Partagas Spanish Rosado" would be awarded one point.

- The cigar will be clearly visible, but I'll obscure the band in such a way that it will require previous knowledge/future research to identify the cigar. Only one guess per person per cigar, and I'll either award a point or indicate that the guess was incorrect, and leave it open for the next person to guess. If a large number of incorrect guesses forces me to post a hint, then everyone can guess a second time.

- My class/work schedule is pretty crazy, so I'll end up posting the pictures at all times of the day (and night). Hopefully this will make it fair for members here who have 9-5s that prevent them from accessing the site during the day.

- The winner will be the person with the most points out of a possible 30.

I'm working on a tough budget right now so the prize won't be HUGE, but there will be a decent selection of nice smokes going to the winner.

To kick things off, and to give an example of the pictures you will be seeing, here are three of the cigars I smoked for the last contest.

The first person to identify all three will get the first point for this contest.

guess.jpg

gues.jpg

l.jpg

#1 unknown

#2 - Oliva Master Blend 3

#3 - AVO Domaine

#1 unknown

#3 - AVO Domaine

You got #s 2 and 3 correct - I'll give you a point for that.

If anyone can identify the first one, it'll be worth another point.

I could have very well read the OP incorrectly but I read it as you get 1 point for each cigar you guess correctly? Seeing as BamBam got 2 and 3 correct wouldn't he get two points for that instead of just one? If I read it wrong please let me know as I am just trying to clarify the rules here so there is no future confusion.

Oh, and GO STARS! (try to hold back when you make fun of me for that one :blush: )

I could have very well read the OP incorrectly but I read it as you get 1 point for each cigar you guess correctly? Seeing as BamBam got 2 and 3 correct wouldn't he get two points for that instead of just one? If I read it wrong please let me know as I am just trying to clarify the rules here so there is no future confusion.

Oh, and GO STARS! (try to hold back when you make fun of me for that one :blush: )

I thought that's how I read it also...but it doesn't matter to me...your contest, your rules

Oh and I'm a Blue Jackets fan...so I can make fun of nobody :whistling:

You read the rules correctly, but I also stated that the first person to identify all THREE of those first (example) pictures would get a point.
"The first person to identify all three will get the first point for this contest."
I felt generous, so even though he only got two out of the three correct, I still awarded him a point. I'm also offering a point for the remaining cigar. *edit* which he just got.

But again, just to clarify - once I post the first cigar for this contest (the above pictures were just examples from the last contest I held), each cigar will be worth one point.

#1 - Rocky Patel American Market Selection....and that one looks to be the Toro :thumbs:

This is correct, and marks the conclusion of the "example" cigars.

From now on, each cigar I post will be worth one point.

My bad Fellows, I neglected to read the ENTIRE post and didn't see that those were examples from the last contest. This is a great idea and will definitely be fun to track and hopefully participate if you smoke anything I've had the pleasure of previously enjoying!

My bad Fellows, I neglected to read the ENTIRE post and didn't see that those were examples from the last contest. This is a great idea and will definitely be fun to track and hopefully participate if you smoke anything I've had the pleasure of previously enjoying!

No problem amigo. As for the Red Wings avvy - I love watching hockey in general, but bet on the Wings to win the Cup early last season and took home a nice prize. I'll stick with them as my avvy until it's time to pick a winner for this season (I'm liking the Caps!).

Dang, I gotta smoke more diverse cigars. The only one I recognized up there was the MB3 (which is one of my favs).

Should be a fun contest. Too bad I missed the last one.

2 and 3 are done?

#1 is it a H Upmann Signature Monarcas

Never mind

#1 RP american market

#3 - AVO Domaine