• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CIgar Lounge Blues

PunchLibertad4Me

Reaction score
I was in visiting my local B&M this past Saturday and the owner was there (he owns three (3) shops). He was bemoaning the economy and its impact on his bottom line and noted that he was not holding any events in January, due to the majority of the vendors being in meetings...

He went on to add that sales were down in December in fact, they were better in April and May than they were in December. That said, he is going to be taking the lounge to a Membership Only with an annual cost of $100 - $125. For the casual smoker or person who drops into the shop and wants to smoke, he's going to charge either a $10 fee or a minimum in-store purchase.

As for me, in that I enjoy the fellowship of the shop, I think will pony up the $ (in monthly installments for obvious reasons). What I want to know is if any other of you have heard this or if any owners here want to comment.

-Tony

Sales are down everywhere. On the bright side, if your B&M goes private, they can apply for a private lounge liquor license. The margin on alcohol easily trumps smokes.

Stinki

I've visited a shop over the holiday that did something similar. As for me, if my B&M started a policy like this, I would probably find another B&M. Otherwise, my $10 smoke becomes a $20 smoke.

Lucky for me, I have 2 B&M's that I visit regularly. The first one requires you to smoke cigars bought only from that store (completly understandable). However, the second doesn't care where you bought them as long as you buy from him once in a while.

There's a very nice B&M near me that has this same membership lounge policy ($200 for an annual membership or $7 per visit). I plan to check it out tomorrow to see if it will be a better winter-time alternative to my freezing cold garage!

I was in visiting my local B&M this past Saturday and the owner was there (he owns three (3) shops). He was bemoaning the economy and its impact on his bottom line and noted that he was not holding any events in January, due to the majority of the vendors being in meetings...

He went on to add that sales were down in December in fact, they were better in April and May than they were in December. That said, he is going to be taking the lounge to a Membership Only with an annual cost of $100 - $125. For the casual smoker or person who drops into the shop and wants to smoke, he's going to charge either a $10 fee or a minimum in-store purchase.

As for me, in that I enjoy the fellowship of the shop, I think will pony up the $ (in monthly installments for obvious reasons). What I want to know is if any other of you have heard this or if any owners here want to comment.

-Tony

There are a couple of retail places in this area (PA near philly) that have membership only lounges....needless to say the lounges are always empty. The funny part about this one place is that the lounge is only open store hours. So it closes at like 6:00PM. So you pay this money for a locker and use of the lounge but can't even see a late game on sunday but the lounge closes so early. The other thing that is popping up is the Smoke Lounge only spots. These are places with no retail business. You pay a membership to use this private cigar club. Several have 24 hour access.

I understand the owner's POV, but at the same time, the people who are supporting their local B&M are the one's paying for the slow sales. Stinki makes a good point though, if they get private licensure, then they can hook up members with cheap(er) liquor. It's a win win I suppose, but owners need to realize, everyone is affected by a poor economy. Just like California wanting to add a "Usage fee" on fuel to raise capital, along with half of the country. People are in hard times, so the government wants to tax / add "usage fees", and yet we don't get a raise in our pay for cost of living. It's a circle jerk on the people from all angles

You can rent a locker at my local shop for now a low low price of only $700 a year. The lounge has 5 good chairs and is usually crowded and so under ventilated that you almost die of smoke inhalation. All of this is coupled with closing at 7pm or earlier. You can guess why i didnt renew my membership when they raised the prices this year.

Just like California wanting to add a "Usage fee" on fuel to raise capital, along with half of the country. People are in hard times, so the government wants to tax / add "usage fees", and yet we don't get a raise in our pay for cost of living. It's a circle jerk on the people from all angles

F*ck the government.

Ery