• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Lounge policies

The Black Cloud said:

I'll usually pick up some sticks that I don't buy boxes of and then just smoke my own.  Agreed, don't like to smoke a cigar straight from the shop without some rest in my own humidor.

The 2 places near me do not allow outside cigars at all. While I completely understand that policy, I might be more open to patronizing their business if they had a cutting fee for those who already have a cigar to smoke.

The vast majority of the time I smoke it's at a friend's back yard, anyway.
Fair Oaks?
Shamlux and Cigar House. Both right by me. Shamlux has a nice lounge and nice overall shop but I'm not a fan of their policy. I always buy something from the shop if I'm bringing my own smoke in. I understand some may not and may be taking advantage of the opportunity.

Cigar House I don't intend to go back to ever. Just rubbed me the wrong way. High prices, old, dusty stock, and the customer service seemed less than optimal. Looking back on it, maybe they did have a cutting fee, but it may have been $25 or something equally outrageous. I'm not paying $25 to smoke my $10 cigar and sit in one of your three chairs cramped in a corner.

I went to Cigar House once when I was in the area.  I bought a cigar there...and then they told me I couldn't sit there because I wasn't a member.

I was a frequenter of Davidus Cigars in the MD/VA/DC region, I think the Castro Brother's own like 8-9 shops in the area.  They are all excellent and they all request that you do not smoke sticks from the outside.  I the rarity that I want to smoke something not from their stock, I take the label off, and I always buy some sticks to support the shop....

Nobody knows I'm smoking something from the outside other than me...

I'd never heard of a clipping fee...can't say that I'm a fan of just handing over money...I don't think I'd liek that much.

Whether it's a clipping fee (assuming it's reasonable and not $25), or a minimum purchase, or buy a drink from the bar, or scratch my back and I'll scratch yours sorta thing, I'm fine with. As a business owner I would think you'd want some of my money when I come in with my own smoke but buy something to go, as opposed to none of it since I'm not likely to go there if I can't smoke my cigar that I already have.

I'd take a clipping fee with the same understanding as a corkage fee at a restaurant.  If you're bringing you're own bottle and drinking at their establishment and not buying any of their booze, at least they're gonna want some 'scarole for it.