• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Magazines.

sir-smokes-a-lot

A Freudian Slip in progress
So, who reads cigar magazines and which ones?
Know for sure of Cigar Aficionado, SMOKE, and this one in 1/2 english 1/2 german (can't remember the name)

are there any other out there?
what do you read.

am a fan of Cigar Aficionado (more often than not, except for some Te-Amo reviews :D ) it gets read often and whenever I go to my fave shop, read from their massive back-issue selection.

have only seen the other two every now and then, so not real comments.

of yeah, also read the online articles over at CigarWeekly.com some good stuff there.

I have a small collection of CA mags. I use to pay a lot of attention to the reviews when I was newer to cigars. Now I just like the articles which for the most part pretty good.

Sam

I have every issue of cA only because my wife at the time, had a subscription to Wine Spectator so when they launched cA, they sent a complimentary Volume 1, number 1 to all their Wine Spectator subscribers. This was in 1992 I think.

THAT'S how I got into cigars, I read the first issue and went to my local tobacconist in search of LGC's (I still love these!!) and Macanudos (yuk, if I only knew then what I know now).

Even though I don't read it much anymore, I still subscribe to it in order to keep my collection complete, darn near three feet of bookshelf space at the moment (as I look over my shoulder :D )

I used to buy CA at the stand, but now have a subscription (about 2 years now). I look for SMOKE magazine, but it does not seem to be as readily available as CA. I'm not sure why. I have a co0uple of them. My brother in-law gave them to me a while back.

I am a user of CA's website and I log into SMOKE's website once in a while. CA's is...well very CA. Seems pretty 'upscale'. SMOKE's, I believe, is aimed at a different demographic. The SMOKE tag line is something to the effect of appealing to the younger jet set crowd, while CA seems to be aimed more at the established 'old money' crowd. Speaking of CA........They speak of Cigar Insider (sister publication) and I have been wondering if this is a stand alone publication or is it a 'special edition' of some kind?

That's just my 'read' on it. Anyone else???

M. Gipson :)

Cigar Insider is a stand alone and a special edition.

can get a subscription to it through cA, it is a reg. publication by Shankin, sans the cA stuff on cars, wine, gold, watches, etc..

the diff between USA Today's Buisness section and the Wall Street Journal.
Both have good points, but the latter is more in-depth w/ cigar info. more ratings, more cigars, some listings, and an article or two.

Insider is nothing but cigars. When they do the ratings, the rate the entire line of cigars. Their couple of articles are cigar related. and the price is like 3 times that of CA. I think it is so expensive because they make no money in advertising.

Emo

I just ordered a subscription of SMOKE magazine from some magazine clearing house. Here is the link:

http://www.magmall.com/cgi-bin/webcart/web...=TEXT&CODE=2150

(Sorry, I am not link savvy)

I paid only $9.95 for a year subscription (4 issues - I guess quarterly?)

Seemed like a good deal. I drove around last night looking at all the bookstores and smoke shops I could find, but no SMOKE magazine. Not that I think it is better than CA, but it is nice to have another source of information. Now I get both, and it should be enough.

M. Gipson :)

I read CA and Smoke. But I find Smoke generally has more subjects that I have interest in. It seems to hold my attention better than CA.

I have a complete collection of ca AS WELL. aLSO HAVE READ sMOKE BUT IT SEEMS TO RATE dog sticks higher than they should. iNTERESTING ADDS IN sMOKE AS THEY PICK UP THE STUFF THAT ca DOESN'T

Well I do wait for my CA, although at this stage of the game (subscriber for over 5 years) I am getting a little fed up with all the ads. Maybe its time to switch to the insider. I love to read J. Sucklings Havana corner but you can get that on the web.

Heck I just like getting mail once in awhile............ ;)

BenjieV :D

From what I hear, there is going to be a new competitor for Cigar Aficionado!

VOLUME 33 ISSUE 07 — 25 FEBRUARY 1998
New Pompous Asshole Magazine To Compete With Cigar Aficionado

NEW YORK—Upscale consumers who enjoy cigars, wine, and "all the finer things in life" will have a new magazine to enjoy beginning next month, when Pompous Asshole hits newsstands. Targeting the coveted 23- to 60-year-old pompous-asshole demographic, the new monthly magazine is expected to compete directly with Cigar Aficionado for advertising dollars. "Pompous Asshole is the magazine of the good life," said publisher Paul Westman. "And, unlike Cigar Aficionado, we truly cover it all: From tips on choosing the right humidor to advice on where to gamble in Monte Carlo to the lowdown on the new Jaguar XJ8, Pompous Asshole is the magazine no rich prick can afford to be without."
-From The Onion
:D :sign: :D :sign: :D :sign: :p :0