• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Oasis Hygrometer

Sleepydoc

Have any of you with a Cigar Oasis XL Plus checked it's hygrometer with a digital one?

I have both in my 300 cigar humidor, and for the last three months, the Cigar Oasis has read 73%. The digital hygrometer right next to it reads 65%. I placed another digital (same brand - Radio Shack, about $20), and it read around 67%.

Cigars are fine, but if I had to guess, more on the dry, than wet side.

8%, if true, is a little more 'tolerance' than I think I should have to put up with, in my opinion. The two digitals are about four years old with new batteries. Can they simply "wear out" over time?

Any one else had a similar experience?

Thanks!

I have found my CO to be pretty accurate. I have a small cabinet that has the CO and 1/2 pound of heartfelt beads and the humidity never moves from 65%. The Digital hygrometer on the CO days its 66% so I would say they accurate.

My Oasis Plus is 5-8% off I have had to tweak it based on my calibrated hygrometer readings. I thought I read somewhere that there was a batch that that Hygro was extremely innaccurate.

-D

Hey Sleepydoc,
I too have a CO XL Plus and the hygrometer on it is not even close. Not that I worry... I ALWAYS have a digital hygrometer (salt tested for accuracy) in my humidors.

My suggestion would be to purchase one of those digital hygrometers from the CigarPass merchandise site. For just under $18.00 its a steal!

Food for thought,
Darren

Thanks for the insights. Sounds like the thing to do is to trust the digitals.

Did I read right that you can manually calibrate the C.O.?

I ordered some beads from Viper just to have a "moderating influence". Sounds like those little jewels are incredible. :thumbs:

You'll "guess forever" until you salt test your hygro. Then, you'll have a known good reference to compare with.

I replace the batteries in my three Little Havana "humiGAUGE" hygrometers once a year, and then salt test them, to be sure.

Regards - B.B.S.

Back