• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Oasis XL Problem?

bringbackphish

Hey everyone,
Haven't posted in awhile, been working through all my sticks. For christmas my wife got me a new 300 count humidor to get rid of all the little ones. The guy at the shop through in a cigar oasis xl with the humidor. Was working well, seasoned the whole humidor to 75% started to bring it back down to normal 67%. Now the oasis is reading at 53.7%. My issue is that my analog hydrometer that ive always used and is calibrated is still reading 70%. I even recalibrated the analog. The cigar oasis is not able to be calibrated, does anyone know how far off the cigar oasis could be off. Can I do a salt test on the cigar oasis? Should I break down and get a digital?
Thanks for the help,
Rob

I had the same problem Rob. I couldn't get the hydro in my humidification device to calibrate. After a month I broke down and bought beads. Best thing since sliced bread.
If you would like to resolve your problems visit Heartfelt Industries.

Edit: You should use the search function too. Good stuff.

Hey everyone,
Haven't posted in awhile, been working through all my sticks. For christmas my wife got me a new 300 count humidor to get rid of all the little ones. The guy at the shop through in a cigar oasis xl with the humidor. Was working well, seasoned the whole humidor to 75% started to bring it back down to normal 67%. Now the oasis is reading at 53.7%. My issue is that my analog hydrometer that ive always used and is calibrated is still reading 70%. I even recalibrated the analog. The cigar oasis is not able to be calibrated, does anyone know how far off the cigar oasis could be off. Can I do a salt test on the cigar oasis? Should I break down and get a digital?
Thanks for the help,
Rob

You can calibrate it in a sense, meaning you can set its humidity setting based on another calibrator. The XL I have wasn't off too bad. I opened it up, and put 65% beads in it, along with about another 2 pounds here and there. I have it set at 65%, and it seems to hang around that mark.

Bottom line, the Oasis hydro is probably right(ish), not the analog.

Will

I had an XL and after 1 year of trying to get it to keep proper RH, I got rid of it. I ended up getting the Avallo humidifier with 4 canisters. Best investment ever! It's still running strong (4 years now) and keeps the RH exactly where I want it.

My XL has worked fine for probably 4 or 5 years, but I have purchased an Avallo for use in the new one I am building.

I had similar issues with the Hydra LG being off on reading RH So I just ordered and set up an Avallo 2 canister system. I love this thing. But for the size humi you have a Avallo may be to big. you should look into the Heartfelt beads!

Paul

Also grab a Digital Hygro it will make your life so much easier!

Same problem I had, got intouch with them, they set me a new read-out display, same problem- I just don't think they are that good.

I have a container of beads on every shelf. Rod had a sale on the "pucks" so I got a bunch of those, along with a container of beads.

Now if I could get the seal on the door better........

Thanks for the insight. I think I solved it, the water resivor was empty. Filled in back up and its reading right at 68% where I want it. I think ill invest in some beads and a digital hydro as insurance. Thanks for the help
Rob

I still have some pucks left if you need any.

I use the heartfelt beads, they work great. What is the best electic RH device?

Hey guys, new guy to this forum, (will do a proper introduction in the proper thread).

When I first got my cigar oasis XL it was way off, after reading their site, and the instruction for the XL plus I found out that it offers calibration, and the same instructions apply to the XL, this is from their site:

Calibration Instructions
Look at the humidity reading on your separate digital hygrometer. If you absolutely trust your hygrometer, and it is different by more than 6% compared to your Cigar Oasis Humidifier, then you should re-calibrate the humidifier. Determine if you need to increase or decrease the reading on the Cigar Oasis Humidifier to match the reading on your separate digital hygrometer.
Press the ‘Up” and ‘Sun’ button simultaneously to enter the Calibration Mode (Displays CA2).
Press the ‘Up’ and ‘Sun’ buttons simultaneously (together) to enter the Calibration Mode (LED displays CA2).
Press and Hold the ‘Up’ button if you need to increase the reading on the humidifier to match the reading on your separate hygrome- ter. Press and Hold the ‘Down’ button if you need to decrease the reading on the humidifier to match the reading on your separate hy- grometer.
Press both the ‘UP’ and ‘Sun’ buttons simul- taneously twice to leave the Calibration Mode.
Allow the humidifier to run for at least an hour to check the humidity level.
If further re-calibration is necessary, follow the above procedures again.

What I have done twice now is the salt test, I used the battery pack and put it in a zip lock bag with my digital hygrometer (And salt). The first time I did it the oasis was way off, but I used the instructions above and got them to be as close as possible, after yesterdays test, my hygrometer reads 76% (It can't be adjusted, so I have to remember) and the oasis reads 75.8%. Also, while I had the cigar oasis in the bag for the salt test, I had it set at 40% so it would not be running the fan the entire time since I had it with the batteries.

Hope this helps...