• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cigar ooze

wanlail

tonight i had some friends over to have a smoke with me outside and gave one of my new friends a 2nds cigar that i have. About 20 minutes into the smoke he complains about having sap all over his mouth from the cigar, upon closer inspecting it had a gross looking black ooze coming out of the cigar. any ideas on what this is and why its caused? :0 on the bright side, my indian tabac was excellent. on the downside, my friend is now not a fan of cigars.

Sounds like tar build up. Check out the "Quality Control" thread a little ways down for a pic.

Had the same thing happen with a A.F. Sungrown double chateau. The ooze was gross looking but the taste was excellent. My brother and i both nubbed these babies. Ymmv! :D

Was the cigar burning correctly otherwise? I think this might be also caused by tobacco that is too humid steaming the extra moisture off in front of the burn.

Was it a Fuente product? There is a couple of threads in other boards that mention the same problem. Things were settled very favorably (in cigars, not $$$) by Fuente after they contacted the affected person. They were very interested in receiving sample cigars afflicted with the tar substance for analysis. It seem that it has been a recent problem for them.

Long story short, if it is a Fuente cigar, I'd suggest saving what you can and contacting them directly for guidance how to proceed.

It seem that it has been a recent problem for them.

It isn't recent, as it's been happenning for years. I wonder if it's been more frequent of late though...

My mistake. Recently known to me then. I generally don't smoke Fuente products and only stumbled upon the problem in cigar forum threads.

Over the years there have been some nasty pics posted about tar build up. There are all sorts of reasons it can happen but nobody can tell ahead of time if it will happen with any particular cigar. I'd say I get 1 or 2 a year or just under 0.5% of what I smoke.

Or maybe he just spittle it during smoking. It also can cause some kind of tar.

Over the years there have been some nasty pics posted about tar build up. There are all sorts of reasons it can happen but nobody can tell ahead of time if it will happen with any particular cigar. I'd say I get 1 or 2 a year or just under 0.5% of what I smoke.

Whats with all the math around here lately? Its making my head hurt!

I had it happen a few months back, while smoking a torpedo. I blamed it at the time on not cutting enough head off, and concentrating all the junk as I was smoking. I quick re-cut solved the problem, but the taste lingered for way too long afterward.

yea, it wasn't a fuente. it got sacrificed to the fire and gave off a nasty smell. lol. i'm going to guess it was the tar.

I had a Tatuaje Havana VI do that to me a couple weeks ago, although it didn't seem as severe as what you described. I noted no adverse affect on flavor, but it did plug the draw up a bit as smoking progressed.

Never heard of this happening I am shocked to hear some of the names involved (brands). Is this something your B&M would take care of? In terms of a replacement or is it just tough luck you bought it's yours? ???

i'm willing to bet that most places would replace it, but then again, if they did say tough luck, they would lose business. Then again, it also is like playing russian roulette. Personally, out of the 150ish cigars i've had, i've never witnessed this before.

The closest I've come to a backwashing cigar is the tar build up on a cat's eye cut. I guess I was lucky so far, especially since I guess it was my saliva that made the tar less viscous/more fluidity.

edited - replaced "gone" with "come"

I've never heard of this before, and it really creeps me out a lil bit. :0

Picture of Ooze from another forums thread....

kingb.jpg

Credit Professor Twain, Vintage Cigar Club