• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Pass Insurance

emodx

Banned
Hello all, the purpose for CPI is to insure the basic passes against theft, loss, and damage. It also will save money for the people in your passes. By the host using CPI, others wont have to pay the $1.30 for insuring the pass for $50. As of right now, CPI can not be everything to everybody. There are just a handful ISOM's, and no rare cigars. But as CPI grows, so will the bank. I also have a couple of ideas on how to make the bank a little nicer. I will post the contents of the bank in a few days as I get it organized, but there are around 100 sticks. But for now, here are the bylaws:

CPI Bylaws

The objective of Cigar Pass Insurance, from here on out referred to as CPI, is to provide additional insurance above and beyond what is offered by the carrier. Many of the cigars passed in Cigar Passes are difficult to obtain, and many times harder to replace.

Responsibility of the insured:
· Once pay dues in cigars equivalent to $12-15 US dollars.
· Dues will be sent with the outer packaging marked in reference to CPI, and the inner bag will have a small slip of paper marked CPI and your handle.
· A PM will be sent to the board members with the contents of proposed dues.
· When starting a pass, the insured will state that the pass is insured by CPI.
· Suggest that persons joining the pass also join CPI.
· Have all participants deliver priority mail via USPS or any private carrier via means to deliver in 2-3 days.
· Have passers include delivery confirmation on the box.
· All participants must individually number each cigar placed in the box.
· All participants must post in the appropriate Cigar Pass thread, all put and takes.
· If a passer includes a cigar or cigars intended only for the pass starter, these will be considered gifts. Gifts will only be insured for passers who are current CPI members.
· Don’t not take advantage or cheat CPI.

Responsibility of CPI:
· Appoint a board of at least 3 people to guide CPI and render decisions.
· Make public to those members insured: 1) The current roster of CPI insured passers; 2) The current list of cigars in custody by the treasurer; 3) Any claims made by CPI members and the status of that claim.
· Handle and pay claims in the order they are received.
· If a good record of give and takes is kept by the pass and there are insured passers in the pass it may be voted to supply the insured people with a sympathy replacement for there losses but the pass starter is the top priority since they have the most to lose.
· If at a point in the future, CPI has an overrun of cigars, the board may present to the members of CPI a plan of action for a vote. This plan may include a raffle with proceeds going to a charity, the cost of running Cigar Pass, or the cost of running CPI; a donation to a Charity Herf; a Cigar Pass to increase the quality of cigars in the fund.
· The board won’t deny any cigars being sent for dues; the board will suggest a change if the exact cigar is already held by CPI. This will insure a robust selection in the treasury.

Emo

I'd like to contribute a few sticks to the fund. Where should we send 'em? I think it's a good idea if no other other reason than as a gesture of good will. Thanks.

Not a bad plan Big Jim. In lieu of a cash payment as well as to be nice, we could PM Emo with what we have available to give and he could choose what the bank needs.....or not. Just "brain"storming here. :)

I do remember a post alluding to the fact that the USPS would not insure cigars in the first place, but I never heard what the final conclusion to that was. ???

So... the way it works is no Postal Insuarance, but if something were to happen, you would be reimbursed with sticks from the CPI fund?

Assume the following scenario:
A pass with X number of sticks insured by CPI is lost in transit. CPI replaces those X sticks from the coffers. With dues only paid once, how will these X sticks get replaced back into the CPI coffers?

That is a really good question phishy.

So how does that work emo?

Phil

vewyphishy said:
So... the way it works is no Postal Insuarance, but if something were to happen, you would be reimbursed with sticks from the CPI fund?

Assume the following scenario:
A pass with X number of sticks insured by CPI is lost in transit. CPI replaces those X sticks from the coffers. With dues only paid once, how will these X sticks get replaced back into the CPI coffers?
Seeing as there is no yearly fee, depending on how many cigars are paid out, we may not have to raise more "funds". Thare are quite a number of sticks in there. If for what ever reason CP'ers had a run of bad luck, I would have to ask for a 1 time donation of 1-2 sticks per person wishing to remain in CPI. I have donated sticks to CPI and will contine to do so. Plus with new memberships, CPI will continue to grow.
Right now there are enough sticks to cover 2 large passes or 3 small-medium passes. I'll probably donate some more cigars here in another week or 2 after I go through and catalog all the cigars. BTW, almost all the cigars are over a year old, some being 2-3 years old. So if a claim was made, at least the person making the claim would get some seasoned smokes.

Emo

Bat_Chief said:
I do remember a post alluding to the fact that the USPS would not insure cigars in the first place, but I never heard what the final conclusion to that was. ???
I am pretty sure you are right. Tobacco is considered a drug and only licensed dealers are supposed to be able to ship them. I know this for a fact with FedEx. Alcohol, tobacco, and firearms are no no's for us normal folks to be shipping. So we all take the risk when shipping that it is not discovered. I do it anyway as do all of you. That is why CPI is a great deal and much needed.

I use UPS, FEDEX, and USPS, and have as of yesterday, stated cigars on shippers info, and value and got additional insurance. If cargo/transport insurance is sold on a receipt that shows the true commodity, whether regulated or not by DOT/IATA/USPS if sold, on B/l has to be honored if claim is made. :thumbs:
The idea here is great tho...and should be used as a back up too... :D

From what I understand about postal insurance claims, they pretty much demand receipts for anything you're making a claim against. And since it's illegal to purchase Cuban cigars, supposedly any receipts don't exist ;) If they do exist, I would strongly discourage anyone turning over any receipts like that to the Postal Service which could find their way into the hands of the ATF or whoever.

Cigar Pass Insurance is the way to go. Personally, I never use postal insurance when sending passes as it is a waste of money.

Bat_Chief said:
Not a bad plan Big Jim. In lieu of a cash payment as well as to be nice, we could PM Emo with what we have available to give and he could choose what the bank needs.....or not. Just "brain"storming here. :)

That is a great idea Batty. :thumbs:

I want to say thank you on behalf of CP to Bobbyson1A for his very generous donation to CP. Hail Bobby!

Emo

I'd like to contribute, I'm new, but very anxious to be a part of a pass. Thank you.

Here is a list of active and inactive CPI members:

Board
EmoDx
Shadow
JoeM

Members
Paragod
Gr8full2day
Hbooker
Vikder
RobbMT
Big Slim JR
Tim Hampton
Vern
Rod
Texcigar
K.Steneson
DaveWF
Allofus123
GilV
DarrenR
Macattack
Bobbyson1a
Geldor
Tremayne
CoventryCat
CalixEros
BigJake6904

Cigar Pass Insurance Inventory

ARISTOFF BELI
ASHTON CAB BELI
ASHTON CHURCHILL
ASHTON VSG CORONA
ASTRAL CHURCHILL
AVO #2 MADURO
AVO XO ROTHSCHILD
BIG BUTT CHURCHILL
BOLIVAR BELICOSO FINO (I)
BOLIVAR ROYAL CORONA 01(I)
BRAZILIA GOL
BRAZILIA PIRANHA
CAMACHO SLR
CAMACHO JAMASTRAN TORO
CAO ANNI MADURO CORONA
CAO ANNI MADURO TUBO
CAO ANNI EXTREME TORPEDO
CARMELLO ROBUSTO
CARMELLO ROBUSTO
COHIBA EV
COHIBA CHURCHILL
CONNIE #30
CUABA EXLUSIVOS(I)
CUABA GENEROSAS(I)
CUESTA REY CENTENARIO BELI
CUPIDO CRIOLLO ROBUTO
CUSANO COROJO
DIAMOND CROWN PYRAMIDE #9
DIPLOMATICOS #4 (I)
DON THOMAS SPECIAL EDITION
DUNHILL ALTAMIRAS TUBO
ERDM ROBUSTO LARGA
ERDM TORO
FLOR DE ALLONES #5 ESPECIALES
FONSECA MIT ZEDER
FUENTE 858M
FUENTE DOUBLE CHATEAU FUENTE
FUENTE ROTHSCHILD
GURKHA EXPEDITION TORO
GURKHA LEGEND PERFECTO
GURKHA LEGEND PERFECTO
GURKHA PERFECTO
HAVANA CLASSICO TORO
HDM (OLD OLD OLD)
HDM DARK SUMATRA TORO
HDM EXCALIBER
HDM ROTHSCHILD
H UPMANN ROBUSTO
H UPMANN 2000 BELI
H UPMANN 2000 CEDAR
HEMI BEST SELLER
HEMI SS
HEMI SS
HEMI SS
HEMI SS
HEMI SIGNATURE
HEMI SIGNATURE
HENDRIK KELNER SECOND CHURCHILL
HUGO CASSAR DIAMOND CHURCHILL
H UPMANN GRANDE MADURO
INDIAN TABAC NATURAL FUERTE TORO
JOSE MARTI CHURCHILL TUBOS
JR ALT
JUAN LOPEZ PC(I)
LA AURORA MADURO ROBUSTO
LA ESCEPCION III ZAVALLA
LA ESTRELLA CUBANA
LA FINCA TORO
LA FLOR DOMINICANA DL 660
LA GRLORIA CUBANA NATURAL
LA GLORIA CUBANA SERIE R TORO
LA VIEJA HABANA CEDAR
LEON JIMINEZ CHURCHILL
LONE WOLD CHURCHILL
LONE WOLF CHURCHILL
MACANUDO POTOFINO TUBO
MARIA MANCINI DEGAULLE
MONTESINO BELI 2002
MONTESINO SUPER BELI
MONTESINO SUPER BELI
MONTE #2
MONTE #444
MONTE JOYITA (I)
MONTE #5 (I)
MONTE #5 (I)
OLIVA FLOR DE OLIVA
OLIVA GRAND CAMEROON BELI
OLIVA O BLACK PYRAMIDE
OLIA O CLASSIC TORO
OLIVEROS BELI
ONYX MINI BELI
PADRON 2000
PADRON 2000 MADURO
PARTAGAS BLACK ROBUSTO
PARTAGAS BLACK ROBUSTO
PARTAGAS CIFUENTES SEPTIEMBRE
PARTAGAS CORONA
PARTAGAS PERFECTO
PARTAGAS PERFECTO
PARTAGAS TPC 98(I)
PARTAGAS 898V 98(I)
PERDOMO CUBAN PAREJO EPICURE MADURO
PERDOMO ESV CORONA NAT
PERDOMO LA TRADICION RED LABEL
PERDOMO LA TRADICION RED LABEL #4
PERDOMO LA TRADICION EXCLUSIVO
PERDOMO LA TRADICION EXCLUSIV
PERDOMO LA TRADICION CHAMPAGNE EPICURE
PERDOMO THE CIGAR BELI
PUROS INDIOS TORO
PUNCH RARE COROJO CORONA
PUNCH CHURCHILL (I)
PUNCH PUNCH (I)
RASS 09/04 (I)
ROMEO Y JULIETA CORONA (I)
ROMEO JULIETA GRAND BELI
ROMEO JULIETA CEDROS #2
ROMEO JULIETA ROTHSCHILD
RP DECADE CORONA
QUAY DORSAY CGRAN CORONA (I)
SANCHO PANZA DOUBLE MADURO CORONA
SANCHO PANZA DOUBLE MADURO ROTHSCHILD
SAN CRISTOBAL LA PUNTA (I)
SLR PC (I)
SLR SERIE A (I)
SOSA BELI
TEAMO VINTAGE 98 ROBUSTO
TEMPLE HALL CORONA
THOMAS HINDS VINTAGE ROTHSCHILD
THOMAS HINDS VINTAGE ROTHSCHILD
TORANO SIG CORONA GORDA
TORANO GOLD PYRAMIDE
TORANO GOLD TORO
TORANO SILVER ROBUSTO
TORANO SILVER TRUMPET
TRILOGY COROJO
TRINIDAD TTT TORO
VEGAS ROBAINA FAMILIAR OCT 01(I)
VEGAS ROBAINA FAMOSAS(I)
VICTOR SINCLAIR SERIES 55 COROJO
601 PYRAMIDE
601 CHURCHILL

Today I added from my own stash:
1 Mayorga Lonsdale size
2 Padron Fumas
3 CAO Brazilia Pirhana

On 12JUN04 added CPI dues from new member:
AVO # Maduro
CAO Anni Maduro Tubo
Torano Gold Toro
Gurkha Expedition Toro
La Aurora Maduro Robusto

So we're up around 115 cigars. If anyone has any questions, shoot me a PM. :thumbs:

Emo

I can get hold of some Vegas Robaina Famosas, Cuaba Espledidos(sp?) and Cohiba Siglo I, IV and Robusto? What is best for the CPI Buy-in?