• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar pass rating experiment Part DEUX REVEAL # 1

CgarDan

This is a bit of a blast from the past. Something I am sure many of you have smoked previously.

Results
CONSTRUCTIONFLAVORCOMPLEXITYAPPEARANCETOTAL
BLIND RATINGSOUT OF 35OUT OF 50OUT OF 10OUT OF 5OUT OF 100
cabaiguan juan25355570
Le Primauguet34465590
Gavin35344578
JoeMO33446588
CBoukal30355373
wingman197431429486
modo2232458590
Aalvord230457486
TexEagle32449489
modo22 Friend28366474
drunkfish335408588
JArtimez31446485
H. Vachon33447488
Nate1977233210570
Smokemorestressless25415576
Johnny B32467590
TOTAL31417583
WITH THE BANDS
CgarDan32427586
BurnBerry20355464
dawgie3420331447587
TOTAL28406579
Review Notes:
Heavy leather, slight sweetness, regular tobacco, cedar. Coffee grounds in the last third.

Retro: Slight white pepper, little to no burn.

Medium body.

Wrapper started to peel at the start and it plugged halfway through and had to work it. Good burn / burn lines otherwise with no touch up's.

Lit with Lotus butane.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Loose roll , soap note in the 1st inch , grass and pepper, burn was even not touch ups

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Nice oily wrapper with light barnyard on nose pre-light. Decided to punch cut but warning... just go for the straight cut as I did after the 2nd puff... just needed a little more volume on the pull.
Dayum- first light picks up floral notes and I'm now standing at attention.
1st third with retro continued floral with slight bitter clove on lips- no tingle.
2nd half I realize it's partially over so bummed because this effer is good. Building strength and the tastes are complex with some vanilla sweetness.
Moving into 3rd, I had to turn on my flashlight for a close inspection of the wrapper revealing toothy texture I should have appreciated in whole form. Transition to full speed retro yields a dark roast coffee. So complex and definitely my fave of the three so far (1,3,2).
Burn was a little off with one touch up needed. Overall just had to slow my pace down a bit so probably my fault. Still, a great night with a great smoke!

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Solid construction, visible veins. Unique head shape with clean cap.

Creamy and woody. It has a slight spice to it as well. It has full flavor but I’d call it a medium plus at most. Got slightly bitter near the end.

Not many transitions. But there are multiple flavors going on.

Nothing mind blowing, but there are no defects.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

7:20-8:55
La Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor or a Romeo y Julieta are my guesses.

Plenty of smoke, interesting initial notes. Moss, wood, tobacco, nutty, leather, natural, retro is pleasant, maybe a hair too nutty or woody for me, ending with some sweet notes, the last few draws were really nice

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Taste of Nicaraguan origin. Medium/full bodied. Consistent cedar, leather, and spice notes throughout. More prominent in the final third.

Nice tooth on wrapper. Uneven burn until the second third. Draw on the tighter side

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Pleasant appearance; prelight – hay, barnyard; first few puffs – floral, sweet, white pepper on retro – so far so good; After 1st third flowery nuances were gone; light gray ash; good burn line; Interesting baking spice – nutmeg?

Upon initial inspection, this cigar had barely visible seams, a perfect cap, and just enough “rebound”. The burn was a little weird. It would be perfect, then get a little wavy, then fix itself. It canoed a bit at the end of the 2nd third and required a touch up. The ash was nice and white and fell off of its own accord at about 1 1/2 inches.

Pre-light draw had a touch of sweetness, almost chocolatey. Upon lighting, I got quite a bit of pepper, but that mellowed after about 1/2”. I’m not very good at defining all of the flavor nuances yet, but it was a perfect balance of a little sweet and a little pepper. This is probably the first cigar that I’ve had that had pepper through the whole smoke, and I enjoyed it. The retro was smooth throughout my session.

Again, with my limited tasting ability, this seemed to be a fine cigar with some nice changes that I could detect. Maybe medium to medium-full?

When I looked at it, I thought it was a Maduro for sure. Then upon further inspection, it looked like it had some red in it. Now, I don’t know what it is. But it is a very attractive cigar.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I love the appearance of the 109/bullet tip. The construction is really impressive as it’s packed to the gills with tobacco but still draws very well. Ash hangs on like a champ.

Flavor off the bat is disappointing as I’m not getting much, but it picks up a bit as it gets to the 2nd third. Wood is the dominant flavor, and the retrohale is the moneymaker. Not much complexity. It’s alright.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Flavor wise, I found it to start off with a strong spicy taste that mellowed as I got further into the cigar. Not necessarily my cup of tea, but I've had lots of smokes that were very similar. Liga #9s come to mind. I wouldn't buy a box of these, but paired with the right meal or bourbon, it would still be enjoyable.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Great smoke production. Nice ash. Smokes evenly. Medium to medium full. Transition from first third to second and third was beautiful. First third wasn’t the best. But the transition was beautiful.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

very spicy to start. Not something I normally smoke flavor wise. Had to relight a time or two, but very smooth smoke with notes of chocolate and cedar. I thought the strength picked up quite a bit towards the end.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Reddish, tight wrap, veins. Good tobac smell. Cedar spice cream cold draw. Toght foot, spongy body. Took lots of heat to get lit.

Hour and 15min.

Alternates between a pepper nugget, and a creamshake. When creamy very nice spice.
Turns peppery/ soapey. Ech.
Back to nice!
Ashey taste, one quarter diameter doesnt like to burn, that might be the ashey soapey taste, ash is dusty off that side, grat on other 3/4 diameter, hopefully this burns through.
I think the wrapper is too humid, should have dry boxed her.
Significant tunnel has burned out, even burn now at just over halfway through the smoke.
Tunnel is back, this is a jekyl/ hyde experience. Great flavors when its great. A cigar or 2 out of every box seems to have tunnel issues. I THINK i would have LOVED this one with proper burn.
The last 1.5" is great, marshmalow, cedar, baking spices, cream, wood.

FINAL REVEAL :
Purchase site: COH
Purchase price: $6.80
Cigar: Illusione No 2
Cigar Aficionado Rating 90 https://www.cigaraficionado.com/ratings/15963/name/illusione-2-figurado

For a $6.80 stick, I'll have to put it on my radar of a few hundred sticks I want to try someday. I've been smoking the MJ 12's a lot lately so it is no surprise I enjoyed this one. And as Chad said, thanks for all the hard work you've put into doing this for us Dan!

Thanks for doing this Dan! Looking forward to the other reveals!

Very strange. I’ve been smoking ~2~’s for the last decade and I’ve never seen one shaped like that, or in that wrapper shade. Still pretty good! (By how I rate)

Very strange. I’ve been smoking ~2~’s for the last decade and I’ve never seen one shaped like that, or in that wrapper shade. Still pretty good! (By how I rate)

What other shape does it come in ?

What other shape does it come in ?
The one I received as part of the experiment, I’d call a 109, as quoted above, having a tapered but ultimately flat head. In fact, I believe it was so flat, I punched it. I’m used to them having a pointy head, a belicoso. Searching online now I do see some images reflecting both styles. I wonder if there’s been an intentional switch, or this is just from some of their rollers.

I thought it was the El Gueesne (blue) torpedo myself.