• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar recommendation engine

Habana Mike

I've been involved in a project for almost a year now that involves smoking and analyzing a lot of cigars blind. The input I and a few other 'analysts' provided have gone in to a database of cigar characteristics (construction, burn, aromas, flavors, balance, strength, value for the buck, etc.)

Anyway there's now close to 1200 cigars from across the board (standard NC stuff, boutiques, limited releases, Habanos, and more).

The principals of the project have recently gone live with a website designed to learn an individual's profile and preferences so as to recommend cigars they believe he or she would enjoy based on the analysis compared to his likes.

While probably most useful for the newer smoker in particular, there's value in this for anyone. Even with years of smoking experience, through the process I've been recommended cigars I may never have tried otherwise and some have been fantastic for me. As well I've found quite a few new favorites through the blind tastings along with a few that just don't sit with my palate.

It is a subscription site and while I am affiliated do not have any financial stake. I do however get to smoke several cigars a week at no cost to me!

The value proposition is that while there is a moderate monthly subscription, by avoiding one cigar that you aren't particularly going to enjoy you've saved the cost of the service. You'll also hopefully find the cigars recommended fit well with your palate.

One of the premises of the service is that, unlike reviews and general recommendations where your palate may not match theirs, this is designed to learn what you like and make recommendations from that. 

Like most, I also use reviews and recommendations to decide on trying new smokes, particularly where I've found the individual has a palate similar to mine though that doesn't necessarily always pan out.

In regard to changing tastes, the profile adviser adjusts and refines your preferences every time you enter tasting notes based on the characteristics of the cigar and how you rated your enjoyment of it.

Being fairly new here and not quite sure what the guidelines are for promoting commercial activities, I am really more interested to hear people's opinions on their perceived value of something along these lines than anything else.

So, what do you think?

Edit: Removed link/references to the site. Apologies if I broke any rules.....

While I'm sure you have the best of intentions, this post smells a lot like unsolicited marketing to me and probably won't go over well. As such, I've reported the post.

While I do share the above concerns, it does sound like an interesting idea and will check it out later. Best of luck with the project.

Habana Mike said:

Like most, I also use reviews and recommendations to decide on trying new smokes, particularly where I've found the individual has a palate similar to mine though that doesn't necessarily always pan out.

Other than the post does sound a bit like the unsolicited marketing thing, which you have adjusted by removing the links etc. ......My thought is that is why I hang around here with all these aficionados and it is fun to boot.  I would rather be here.  Novice cigar smokers may find it useful if they properly determine what their preferences are and convert them to the parameters on the site.  Without a decent amount of experience I am not sure how that would work out.  As far as you go, I think it would be a great experience.  Glad you had the opportunity to enjoy the different cigars and provide your input. 

Also, I see you made the same post on several other sites.

I would check out the site to see if it works as advertised  However, without a free trial period (with no credit card registration) its not going to happen  .  I did see that the site offers you money back if not satisfied.  No thanks - its not the same as a free trial period.

But anyway, best of luck. Anything that supports the hobby is good thing.

I believe they're going to offer a free trial weekend coming up soon. Will keep you posted.