• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Resources

Big B

Hey guys,
Sorry if this has been talked about before, I did a few searches but didnt come up with anything. Im a newbie with about a year and a half of experience under my belt. I keep reading about a ton of different smokes that I have never heard of. I would like to start getting a few harder to get smokes but was wonder if there was a book of all the different cigars that are being made. I really dont have a good shop anywhere near to go in and look or get advice so you all are it. "sorry" I would like to start buying a few smokes to add to the humidor that one doesn't see regularly. What are some good informative resources "besides the internet" that are out there.
Thanks in advance

I have looked a little and the links here on the forum, lots of good info. Thanks for the web sight ill have to check it out. I just wasnt sure if there was a published book with most of the cigars that had info on each one. The internet is probably the best but right now I only have dial up so it takes a little while to do anything on my computer. Thanks for the help

I have looked a little and the links here on the forum, lots of good info. Thanks for the web sight ill have to check it out. I just wasnt sure if there was a published book with most of the cigars that had info on each one. The internet is probably the best but right now I only have dial up so it takes a little while to do anything on my computer. Thanks for the help

After a while of searching for this magical source myself when I first started smoking a few months ago, I have discovered that it doesn't exist.

Your best bet is to sample as much as possible. Keep in mind that taste is subjective--you may enjoy mild-medium cigars, but there may be a handful of full-bodied sticks that you'll learn to love. If you want to get the general idea of how a cigar is, you can read descriptions from various vendors. I must mention that reading about a cigar is completely different from actually smoking it; there is no way you can determine whether you'll enjoy a stick or not by just reading text.

I would also suggest keeping a journal, spreadsheet, or log of every stick you've sampled. Include a name and size (if you can figure it out), date you sampled it, comments, and a rating. I did this with the first 50 or so sticks I've had and it's helped me a lot in learning what I like and what I don't.

Anyways, hope this advice helps. :)

Yep the journal is a great Idea, I actually did start one when I got into smoking real cigars. Thanks for all the help.

All I will add is to do a lot of research on here and the web. The best thing to do is smoke smoke and smoke. There isn't a published book that I know of, but there are several good topics that Kirk put together.

Go to your local B&M and ask lots of questions. If they have a lounge, sit down and enjoy a smoke and talk with other people there. You will be hard pressed to find someone who knows all there is to know about cigars, but in talking with many different people, you'll be able to piece together many different aspects of cigars.

I know people don't put a lot of value into the CA ratings, but I'd suggest looking at several copies and researching the cigars they rated. It's always a good place to start.

x2 on cigarcyclopedia.com. Rich Perelman has a good site with a lot of resources. He also publishes Perelman's Pocket Cyclopedia of Cigars every year. The information in its pages is also on his website, but the book might be a good place to go with your limited internet connectivity. It's more of a comprehensive cigar list than a review resource, but it will give you a good idea of what's out there.

Tad Gage's Complete Idiot's Guide to Cigars 2nd Edition is a good newb resource as well, but unlike the first edition, it doesn't really delve into brands.

A periodical could also be a possibility for you to consider. Smoke magazine is okay and European Cigar Cult Journal is great. Try Cigar Aficionado at your own risk... I tolerate it. The cigar articles and reviews are okay, but they comprise a smaller and smaller percentage of each issue.

Thanks again for all the help guys, I have yet to find a EECJ to read and the Aficionado doesn't really do much for me.

Thanks again for all the help guys, I have yet to find a EECJ to read and the Aficionado doesn't really do much for me.

EECJ is pretty tough to find, I'll give you that. It might be best just to go to their website and subscribe, if your internet access can handle it. But definitely check out Perelman's... I think it'll be a very good resource for you.

EECJ is pretty tough to find, I'll give you that. It might be best just to go to their website and subscribe, if your internet access can handle it. But definitely check out Perelman's... I think it'll be a very good resource for you.

www.cigar-cult.com ECCJ's website.