• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Review Club

Matt R

That's #1 Member to you. :)
Reaction score
I saw a post alluding to maybe having a cigar review club. I thought about it a bit and think it could work. We would need 12 people who plan on being in the club for at least a few go arounds. We could then all pitch in the $$ for a box of cigars and then each do a review of the ciogar. With twelve people it should never be over $25 a person and everyone would get 2 ciagrs to sample and review. The 25th smoke would go into a "bank" and then after we get through 10 or 12 boxes we could start a pass or have a drawing to see who wins the remaning smokes. I will volunteer to purchase the smokes from some of my sources, or if we decide to use a non-Havana one time, we could do a search and find the best place to buy from. Or, we could rotate people who do the actual purchases. It would be a matter of voting on a few different boxes bi-monthly and we could rotate people who pick 5 boxes and then we vote on which box to review, majority wins. Everyone would have to be timely in sending the money to cover the purchase and all info on the actual purchase would have to be done via e-mail. If this sounds interesting to anyone, LMK and we can try to round out the "rules" a bit more. Or if anyone has suggesstions shoot 'em out.

:thumbs: I'm Game!!! :thumbs:

...yet no further suggestions at this time. :)

Well....  

Even though Matt hijacked the idea  :p , I'm still game for something like this.  I like the idea of having a group that writes up reviews, but I'd rotate the group, so anyone that's interested could get a chance to write up a review.
I used to do something very similar when I first started brewing beer, we had a group of people that'd brew and review each others concoctions.  Now it's more of a contest, because the big breweries want the new ideas, so they can buy you off and lock up the recipe..  Um, but that's a different story.  But I think with our group of members, we'd have a great time writing up reviews of different cigars, and I like Matt's idea of pitching in to buy a box and spread the love around....

:D

It would be easier if you just sent us smokes from your humi!!  :D  

I'm game if this gets going.   :thumbs:

Rotating the players from month to month sounds good. The main concern is that whoever is buying the smokes doesn't get stuck without payment. Anymore ideas?? :)

1.  Have buyer post box to be bought for review.  Once it has been chosen.
2.  Have brothers post to sign up if interested in reviewing that smoke.
3.  Once the panel is full..close sign up...and post reviewers. Plus an additional 3 backup reviewers.
4.  Within 48 hours of close sign up...reviewers must send and post Conf# of sent payment to the buyer.
5.  If payment is not sent within 48hrs...that reviewer is removed and his slot is filled by a backup reviewer.  The backup reviewer gets 48hrs. to reach payment requirments...and so on.

It will be up to the buyer whether or not he wants to pre-buy the box before all payments are recieved.  If the buyer chooses to wait for all payments...he must order box within 48hrs of first recieved payments. :)

How's that sound??? :)

**All time requirements will be relative to the time here at CP.**

I like all the ideas so far. My main reason for getting a group to do this for at least a few go arounds was to have some consistency to the reviews. I am going to do some looking around this afternoon at possible choices for the first review. It may be easier to get some people to jump on board if we have an actual "club" thread set up.

Those are awesome additions Beast.

I'd only add one stipulation so we don't get people that say 'yeah I'll review' and then bail on us, if they bail without a good reason, they're 'punished' from writing reviews for a cycle or two, depending on the seriousness of the backout. Say if me or Beast say yes, then I don't pay my share, I'm out without question until the next cycle or two, even if I whine that I'll send payment late. Follow? Kind of seems harsh, but it'll make ya take it seriously if you like writing and getting 2 cigars every couple of months :p

This sounds like a fun idea.  I love trying new cigars.  I have only tried 30 or so different brands so far, and have a hard time rationalizing buying a box untried!!!  ( No matter how good the press on it)

Buying individually online negates the benefit of online shopping since by the time you add 5-7 dollars shipping to any single cigar you are paying a HELL of a lot for that cigar..

Basically like walking down to the local tabacco shop with his markup.  And forget about ISOMs if buying singles... So how to try these delectables????

Great idea Matt!  If this happens count me in!

I'm game bigtime this sounds great! How many boxes will we buy at a time? If we only try one at a time the postage may not be worth it sending everyone 2 cigars at a time. maybe 3 boxes at a time. Just a thought anyone elses ideas welcome. Either way I'll do it good idea Matt.

p.s. Smokintone quit trying to say you thought of it LMAO :D

I'm all for this! What ever Matt Votes ... I'll second! LMK! :)

Me too, this sounds like a blast. Good idea, J. Maybe review 3 different cigars in one go. Could also have a contest for the best review in each round. There are lots of possibilities with something like this. Good thinking Tony, er I mean Matt. :)

I'm thinking one box at a time to allow all income levels to participate. With one box at a time, the cost per person with a minimum of 10 reviewers would be less than $25, as long as we on't pick something "special". I'm also thinking that for the most part these will be Havanas, unless others are opposed to this. I will have a new sign-up thread posted later today or tomorrow, along with 5 different boxes that will be voted on as people sign up. To sign up the rules will be along the lines of a pass. I would like for people who sign up be willing to participate in at least two "rounds". Let me put all the wording together and we'll see about getting this done. :)