• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CIGAR RIGHTS OF AMERICA ANNOUNCED

N2Advnture

Press Release

www.cigarrights.org

CIGAR RIGHTS OF AMERICA ANNOUNCES THE FORMATION OF THE GRASSROOTS NON-PROFIT ASSOCIATION OF CIGAR ENTHUSIASTS TO FIGHT TOBACCO TAX INCREASES AND SMOKING BANS.

Los Angeles, May 30, 2008

FIGHTING TO PROTECT YOUR FREEDOM TO ENJOY CIGARS

"Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness"
"Land of the Free"
"No Taxation Without Representation"

These are the principles on which America was founded. Unfortunately for cigar enthusiasts, the age-old pleasure of enjoying a cigar is under attack. On a daily basis, your freedom to enjoy a cigar is being stripped away by an overzealous, anti-smoking movement. Their tactics are varied; be it through supporting onerous cigar taxes or lobbying government for restrictive smoking bans. The anti-smoking movement will stop at nothing short of the complete prohibition of tobacco.

The Constitution of the United States ensures that all men and women have the freedom and the right to the pursuit of happiness. Unfortunately, cigar enthusiasts have slowly allowed these rights to be removed. Over the past twenty years, the anti-tobacco movement has broadened their reach and scope and are moving towards abolishing ALL forms of tobacco including cigars. Until recently there has essentially been very little organized opposition to their actions. And why should there have been? Most of us assumed that their attention was directed towards cigarettes.

Unfortunately, we were wrong.

Forty-seven states in America have enacted cigar taxes. Some states have gone as far as taxing cigars at a rate of 75%. Currently, the entire cigar industry is threatened by the Federal Government's State Children's Health Insurance Plan (SCHIP) that threatens to increase the Federal cigar tax by as much as 6,000% (no this is not a typo). If it were not for President Bush 's veto of the bill proposed by the House and Senate last fall, cigar enthusiasts would currently be paying exorbitantly high prices for the cigars they enjoy so much and nearly every cigar shop in America would have been forced out of business. The proposed bill, which will tax cigars to fund SCHIP, is not dead yet. After the House and Senate reconvene in September, they will again attempt to increase the Federal tax on cigars to expand the State Children's Health Insurance Plan.

In addition to a tax increase on cigars, regularly introduced anti-smoking legislation has made it close to impossible for cigar enthusiasts to enjoy cigars. In many states, you are not allowed to enjoy a cigar at your local restaurant or bar. Cities around America are now proposing bans which will, if enacted, stop you from enjoying a cigar outside of public buildings. Who would have thought that the day would come when you cannot legally enjoy a cigar walking down the beach or sitting in your local park?

A number of manufacturers and retailers of the U.S. cigar industry have sponsored the formation of Cigar Rights of America (CRA). The founding sponsors of CRA are:

Arturo Fuente
Ashton Cigars
Camacho Cigars
Corona Cigar Company
Cusano Cigars
Davidoff
Drew Estate
General Cigar
God of Fire
Humidipak
J.C. Newman Cigar Co.
La Aurora
La Flor Dominicana
Perdomo
Oliva Cigar Co.
Padron Cigars
Prometheus
Rocky Patel
Thompson Cigar

The Retail Tobacconist Advisory Committee of CRA consists of:

Abe Dababneh
West Palm Beach, Florida

Albert Espinoza
Long Beach, California

Dan Kolod
Cleveland, Ohio

David Kitchen
New York City

Diana Silvius Gits
Chicago, Illinois

Jeff Borysiewicz
Orlando, Florida

Jeff Haugen and Joel Rogers
Maple Grove, Minnesota

Matt Lanford
Santa Barbara, California

Michael Herklot
New York City

Mike Khalil
Villar Park, Illinois

Paul Tucker
Louisville, Kentucky

Ron Melendi
New York City

Steve Willet
Boston, Massachusetts

The Soza Family
Fresno, California

In order to kick off the launching of Cigar Rights of America and raise the awareness encroachment of freedom and rights of cigar enthusiasts by an overzealous, anti-smoking movement, a number of cigar makers will tour several cities together for a week in August and attend the events organized by retail tobacconists. The tour will start with the event in New York City, which is tentatively scheduled for August 19th . Furthermore, the limited edition cigars will be released by the cigar manufacturers sponsoring CRA to commemorate the launching of Cigar Rights of America.

There is a war against cigar enthusiasts everywhere. To combat the very influential anti-smoking movement, we need your help NOW. Join CIGAR RIGHTS OF AMERICA (CRA) and join the fight to protect your rights. Cigar Rights of America has been formed to fight unjustified tax increases and halt smoking bans. For years, cigar enthusiasts have been trampled on by all levels of government. With increasing risk of further local, State and Federal government intervention, now is the time for the cigar community to UNITE and have a powerful voice to protect our rights.

The CRA membership information will be available in its web site, www.cigarrights.org, which will be launched in the week of June 2, 2008.

I'll be there in NYC in August...WE MUST BE HEARD.

They banned smoking cigars on most beaches in New Jersey over the last 2 years. I was accosted by an over zealous mother saying I was giving her children Cancer on a beach in LBI in 25MPH winds while lightly puffing a cigar!

This type of insanity has to STOP!

Smoking and Guns today...Alcohol Tomorrow!

It's good to see Jeff and Joel from Maple Grove on the Committee. They're real good guys (and proprieters of a very fine shop).

We had a very good discussion with Jorge Padron at The Outlaw a couple of weeks ago about smoking bans and similar issues. I'm glad to see his family's name on the list.

They will NEVER do away with alcohol...but us smokers Do need to stick together. Apathy is our biggest enemy. Example, a smoking ban was imposed two years ago in the city of Austin TX. where they actually left it up to the citizens to decide via a popular vote. You would think the smokers would have gone out in force to protect their rights....it only took 37,000 votes to impose the ban!!! LOSERS!!! As a former Austinite I was ashamed!

They already tried, it didn't work...it's an economic thing...

Oh and call me if it ever happens, and I'll buy you a beer!!!

It's looking worse every day. I believe in the very near future cigar prices will be almost unapproachable. Take Canada as an example. Now is the time to stockpile. If I'm wrong you will just end up with a large quantity of aged cigars.

It's already reached the point in many cities where you can't even enjoy a cigar outside without getting nasty looks from people. My own home and the local cigar shops are the only places left for me to smoke in peace. I'm sure there are many small towns across America that haven't been affected but your time is coming soon if some serious action isn't taken from smokers everywhere.

God Bless Texas they've been very kind as far as taxes and not pasing a statewide ban, but they're proposing it again. Cheers for the unity what happen last year was awesome as we all banded to speak our minds against SCHIP. We just lost the momentum and have to keep it going.

Funniest thing I ever here is someone walking into a cigar shop and saying it sure is smoky in here. You don't say. Of course I always say reminds me of growing up. As my Dad has championed second hand cigar & pipe smoke his whole life and he's never been healthier and happier.

Rock on Cigar Rights of America.

I say we take it a side-step further and put forth a bill to BAN ALL tobacco! Now hear me out first please. These anti-smoking nuts are just that, ANTI-SMOKING but NOT anti-tobacco because afterall it is their cash cow. With this proposed ban, the anti-smoking wackadoodles' true intentions will be exposed for all of America to see when they come right out and are forced to say they just want the MONEY from the taxes. America will laugh as sure as if Rob Reiners pants fell down during his acceptance speech for the Nobel Prize in Medicine! The legilation will fail miserable and be defeated. We could all carry signs supporting the ban while smoking cigars.
Alas it's only a dream.... it couldn't possibly happen - or could it? ;)

I say we take it a side-step further and put forth a bill to BAN ALL tobacco! Now hear me out first please. These anti-smoking nuts are just that, ANTI-SMOKING but NOT anti-tobacco because afterall it is their cash cow. With this proposed ban, the anti-smoking wackadoodles' true intentions will be exposed for all of America to see when they come right out and are forced to say they just want the MONEY from the taxes. America will laugh as sure as if Rob Reiners pants fell down during his acceptance speech for the Nobel Prize in Medicine! The legilation will fail miserable and be defeated. We could all carry signs supporting the ban while smoking cigars.
Alas it's only a dream.... it couldn't possibly happen - or could it? ;)The price of a pack of Camels (my cigarette of choice) just went up $1.90 a pack overnight due to a tax increase here in NY, I was going to wait until my 50th birthday in January to quit and just smoke cigars, but I think I may quit now....I have about a 5 year supply of cigars on hand now, and don't pay taxes on them anyway because all my purchases are made on line. So they won't be seeing any more of my $$$!!!