• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Room

rehrlich

Banned
This is the best forum that I could think of for this topic. If it is not appropriate let me know. I want to turn my office into a cigar room. Of course smoking is not allowed in the house so I need to find a good ventalation system. Can anyone recommend one for a small size room? There can not be any smoke left in the room. I would like some kind of portable air purifier, but would get more elaborate if need to.

Well you first need to pull up any carpet and put down wood floors. From there you need to get rid of any non leather furniture. Once that is done, then start with the air purifiers. A cheap way that I suggest would be a window, space heater for the winter, and a decent sized air purifier. You would also need something to seal the door off with as well.

I'm sure someone else could go into a bit more detail though.

There is a great deal of info already on the site. Use the search feature for things like "air filters" "air purifiers" "smoking room" "ventilation" all the stuff you'll need is right here, you just have to look for it.

I now use my office as a cigar room with wifely approval and I did it using a pretty inexpensive approach that has been quite effective.

I went through a major search process about smoking room solutions a few months ago and got to the point that I was seriously considering thousands of dollars worth of ventilation equipment and getting pretty worked up about how many cigars I wouldn't be buying if I did this. Then I read a post somewhere (maybe cigar aficionado?) about a guy who just put a chair in the corner of a room between two opened windows, put a fan in one, and smoked away with great results.

I realized that all I really need to do was to make sure I had positive air flow IN to the room (to prevent any smoke from escaping) and a place for that air to go - the window! I figured by forcing air OUT of my window it would draw fresh air into the room from my house.

So, I bought a small Holmes twin fan window unit that can have one fan running as exhaust and the other as intake and I also picked up a Kenmore Progressive 295 air purifier with a charcoal prefilter.

1. I leave the door to my office open an inch for air flow, turn the fan on high with both set to exhaust, and light up.
2. Once I am finished for the night, I completely close the door and turn one side of the fan to intake, leaving the other set to exhaust. The fresh air coming into the closed room helps clear the smoky air and smell out.
3. I run the fan like this for 5 to 10 minutes and then shut it off and pull it out of the window (it's cold here in Minnesota).
4. Then, I turn the air purifier on low and let it run until the next cigar, i.e the next night. I do NOT run this while I am smoking as it doesn't seem to really help at all even though it is a much larger unit than the size of my office requires. I just use it to clean up the air when I am finished smoking. It definitely helps to get the residual odors out.

Using this method, my wife is unable to detect the smoke anywhere until she is just entering the room. If I have had a multi-smoke night or we are having guests or whatever, I also might light a smoker's candle and/or use this insanely powerful spray called Pure Citrus that'll knock you on your ass with the smell of oranges but that really kills odors. (Wash your hands before handling cigars ;) )

But basically, the process I described above gets the job done. I should mention that there is carpet in my office so the smoke odor is never COMPLETELY gone but it is pretty impressive considering I smoke at least one stick a night. It also saved me about $5000 :thumbs:

I will be pulling the carpet up and refinishing the floor next spring or summer and that should really make it perfect.

Good luck!

- Tim

Thanks for that info. That might actually help me out, as I am dry-walling a portion of my finished basement off to make into a very small smoke room! I too have carpet, but will just have to deal with that for now....... Love the relatively cheap cost as well!!!! Thanks again!

Thanks for that info. That might actually help me out, as I am dry-walling a portion of my finished basement off to make into a very small smoke room! I too have carpet, but will just have to deal with that for now....... Love the relatively cheap cost as well!!!! Thanks again!

If you are building out like that I would look at installing a serious exhaust fan up on your wall. it will obviously cost more than the $40 Holmes unit I have but will probably be much more effective and will also be less of a pain since you wont have to haul it out of the window every time you are done.

I now use my office as a cigar room with wifely approval and I did it using a pretty inexpensive approach that has been quite effective.

I went through a major search process about smoking room solutions a few months ago and got to the point that I was seriously considering thousands of dollars worth of ventilation equipment and getting pretty worked up about how many cigars I wouldn't be buying if I did this. Then I read a post somewhere (maybe cigar aficionado?) about a guy who just put a chair in the corner of a room between two opened windows, put a fan in one, and smoked away with great results.

I realized that all I really need to do was to make sure I had positive air flow IN to the room (to prevent any smoke from escaping) and a place for that air to go - the window! I figured by forcing air OUT of my window it would draw fresh air into the room from my house.

So, I bought a small Holmes twin fan window unit that can have one fan running as exhaust and the other as intake and I also picked up a Kenmore Progressive 295 air purifier with a charcoal prefilter.

1. I leave the door to my office open an inch for air flow, turn the fan on high with both set to exhaust, and light up.
2. Once I am finished for the night, I completely close the door and turn one side of the fan to intake, leaving the other set to exhaust. The fresh air coming into the closed room helps clear the smoky air and smell out.
3. I run the fan like this for 5 to 10 minutes and then shut it off and pull it out of the window (it's cold here in Minnesota).
4. Then, I turn the air purifier on low and let it run until the next cigar, i.e the next night. I do NOT run this while I am smoking as it doesn't seem to really help at all even though it is a much larger unit than the size of my office requires. I just use it to clean up the air when I am finished smoking. It definitely helps to get the residual odors out.

Using this method, my wife is unable to detect the smoke anywhere until she is just entering the room. If I have had a multi-smoke night or we are having guests or whatever, I also might light a smoker's candle and/or use this insanely powerful spray called Pure Citrus that'll knock you on your ass with the smell of oranges but that really kills odors. (Wash your hands before handling cigars ;) )

But basically, the process I described above gets the job done. I should mention that there is carpet in my office so the smoke odor is never COMPLETELY gone but it is pretty impressive considering I smoke at least one stick a night. It also saved me about $5000 :thumbs:

I will be pulling the carpet up and refinishing the floor next spring or summer and that should really make it perfect.

Good luck!

- Tim

I do the same thing and it works perfectly.

I also have the dual fan in the window during smoking. It does get rid of all the smoke, but not the smell, so I use an Ionic air purifier as well. There still is some lingering cigar smell, but hey, IT'S A CIGAR ROOM :cool:

I've read good thing about lampe bergers (sp?) too. I'm gonna try one in my room when it's done.