• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Shop Etiquitte Issues

Damn, these threads always remind me that I'm overdue in going down to Outlaw and giving Kendall a big sloppy kiss.....we're really lucky to have a no-fee, smoke what you want, BYOB setup. I think pretty much all of the regulars are good about buying sticks and business overall seems to be pretty brisk. Can't take that stuff for granted though with tobacco in the crosshairs, in addition to buying sticks I try to share the wealth with the staff and give them stuff they haven't tried or may not carry.

Brian, you live in the land of 100% taxes so I know it's tough but Buying a cigar from the local B&M is the right thing to do even if you don't smoke it there and then, I think of it like a corkage charge for bringing your own bottle of wine. After all the B&M pays the costs of making your experience possible. I always buy at least one when visiting a B&M.

I know I know! :) I always purchase. I promise. :)

As a shop owner I know of some that require you to only smoke cigars bought there in their lounge, that is their prerogative. The rule I have always used is you get something from the humidor here I really don't care what you bring to smoke, since I charge no fees for our lounge I like to see people patronize the humidor. (That is how I keep the doors open...LOL) Lots of folks like to age a cigar before smoking and as long as your buying something here smoke away.

I agree. I want to keep their doors open so I'm happy to buy. I just feel less inclined to show up at all at a local shop when I get kicked out on account of other "regulars" needing my seat and when I can't at least bring my own stick from home. Like you say, it's their prerogative. They can do what they wish with their shop.

At my local bar/lounge, they charge $5 a stick cutting fee for outside cigars, which is great because then I don't feel guilty for smoking my own. Their cigars are also marked up like a bottle of wine at a restaurant (2-3x retail). They also put a at least few grand in the register every night, hell I've seen a $1000+ tab get rung up without a flinch with these gold lined pockets in SF. More often than not, they don't charge me a fee.

At my local bar/lounge, they charge $5 a stick cutting fee for outside cigars, which is great because then I don't feel guilty for smoking my own. Their cigars are also marked up like a bottle of wine at a restaurant (2-3x retail). They also put a at least few grand in the register every night, hell I've seen a $1000+ tab get rung up without a flinch with these gold lined pockets in SF. More often than not, they don't charge me a fee.
Which lounge in SF is that?

They've never charged me either. But I normally have a drink or two as well as my company when we smoke there. I wasn't even aware they had a cutting fee.
Yeah, the one thing I don't think they would be fond of is coming in, paying the $5 fee and leaving. At least order a San Peli if you don't drink.

Yeah, the one thing I don't think they would be fond of is coming in, paying the $5 fee and leaving. At least order a San Peli if you don't drink.
Been twice, love the vibe in there. Yeah I don't remember a cutting fee but I did get a couple of pours of scotch each time so that would definitely cover it.

My local B&M charges $5 cutting fee in their lounge for anything you didn't buy there. I've never smoked anything in there that I didn't buy there, but I don't think they'd mind as long as I bought something else.

I travel a lot and try to visit cigar lounges often on the road. I carry a travel humidor with me, but if I visit a cigar lounge I'll almost always purchase a stick there and smoke it. The travel humidor is for when I visit places with no cigar shops (which is unfortunately happening more often).

Damn, these threads always remind me that I'm overdue in going down to Outlaw and giving Kendall a big sloppy kiss.....we're really lucky to have a no-fee, smoke what you want, BYOB setup. I think pretty much all of the regulars are good about buying sticks and business overall seems to be pretty brisk. Can't take that stuff for granted though with tobacco in the crosshairs, in addition to buying sticks I try to share the wealth with the staff and give them stuff they haven't tried or may not carry.

I'm going to hit up Outlaw tomorrow night (1/19). It will be my first time visiting there.

Been twice, love the vibe in there. Yeah I don't remember a cutting fee but I did get a couple of pours of scotch each time so that would definitely cover it.

They have it on a couple of small signs and also on the menu iirc. Love the bar. When I get to go I tend to settle in some time middle afternoon and enjoy the company of the staff. I get a kick out of the angry looking Irish/American guy as well as the woman who takes over for the evening shift. Great rum selection. It's always a head spinning adventure walking back to the W by the end of the night.

Last edited:
The lounge I go to has a $10 cutting fee if you bring in your own stick. I have never had to pay the fee, I think they waive it if you actually purchase something there. I always buy at least 1 or 2 sticks when I go in, then pull the one I brought out of my pocket and light it.

Alright, so this might be a pretty obvious one, but I have a question here.

I walked into a local shop with a cuban in hand and asked the shop owner if he had any Opus in stock. I've been to this shop a few times, but since I primarily smoke cc's, I often don't visit local shops for anything but a new illusione release or perhaps the occasional AF.

The shop owner told me due to the new FDA regulation sampling laws, I can't smoke anything in the building that I didn't purchase there. Fine. I don't recall that part of the new FDA rules but sure, I'll just smoke what I bought.

Then I'm on my local facebook group with a few friends and I see one of the shop workers smoking it up with a clear cc? Y'all are a little more experienced smokers than I, so perhaps you can tell me - did I break some unspoken etiquitte rule? Whenever I travel I haven't had this issue. I always tell the shop owner when I walk in that I'd love to support them and buy a stick and I ask if it is okay to smoke one I brought from home and show them the stick. Often they don't take issue with this. One or two times I've been told that wasn't an option and still purchased a stick to support them, but left to smoke elsewhere.

Any insight would be appreciated. I get most shops are going to be different, but any ideas why they'd be throwing the FDA sampling rules around? That's a new one on me...
That's nuts. I've heard of not allowing people to light up outside smokes but hell, if you tell me I can't have a stick I'm already smoking, I'm walking out.

Like everyone else, I'm lucky to have my local shop where anything goes that's legally allowed.

That's nuts. I've heard of not allowing people to light up outside smokes but hell, if you tell me I can't have a stick I'm already smoking, I'm walking out.

Like everyone else, I'm lucky to have my local shop where anything goes that's legally allowed.

You know you could start by introducing yourself instead of walking in like you own the place... maybe like here on our forum. Read the rules, introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you and then as always, read more and post less...

It wouldn't occur to me to be rude enough to walk into some one's cigar store and light up a smoke I bought elsewhere. You gotta be kiddin' me. It's obvious some of you haven't smoked in the cold, yet, this Winter.

Doc

You know you could start by introducing yourself instead of walking in like you own the place... maybe like here on our forum. Read the rules, introduce yourself and tell us a bit about you and then as always, read more and post less...
Done.

Thanks.