• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Tasting 101

How does one find out what kind of taster they are. Interesting read. I taste different things in cigars, but can't go as far as to distinguish some of the more complex nuances.

Nice. If I understand it correct Moki work out and put together and systematized(is that a correct word?) what was previously scattered in the different topics... Very nice.
BTW... How about "floral"(or "flowery") and "frutty" taste? Sometimes I would definitely put these words to describe cigar taste... but I cannot come up to anything better than that... "frutty" - but what frut? "floral" - but what flower?
Would be nice to hear about these in more detail from someone who got his tastes develop better than me.

I was thinking under earthy - nutty, coffee, chocolate, and maybe toasty could also be useful descriptions.

Didn't someone post a chart about cigar tastes here recently? A wheel or such?

I think it's an excellent posting. I seem to employ the use of my nasal passages more than Wilkey. Not very shocking, as my taste buds have been desensitized over the years by countless cold pizzas.

I, too, remember seeing the tasting wheel. I meant to copy it. Now I don't even remember which board I saw it on. Was it this one?

Anyway, very nicely done, gentlemen.

Didn't someone post a chart about cigar tastes here recently? A wheel or such?

Is this what you mean? I think NorCal posted it several months ago...

cigartastingwheel.gif

This aroma wheel from the American Wine Society is useful:

taste_wheel.jpg

Someone should adapt the format of the tasting PDF they created (the link above) for cigar tasting.

Ok, Moki. You got me thinking. I did a search on another board and came up with the one I really was thinking of. It appears similar to the one you linked up. I do not know of its true origin (what specialty it was designed for). Here it is:

FlavorWheel1.jpg

Need help describing the truly foul taste left in your mouth from the last dogrocket you had the displeasure of turning into ash? Fear not, the Dog Rocket Tasting Wheel is here.

Very interesting! Besides taste, I often wander if we see things differently, perhaps different shades of colors or, feel things differently, the sensation may not be the same for all. However, we will never know because we cannot see or feel or taste, the same as the other person.

Back to taste. Wilkey says "as I draw inward, I also inhale gently through my nose" How do you inhale through your nose without the smoke going into your lungs, I'm not sure that is possible, I can't do it!

I exhale 99% of the time out of my nose. That is, a percentage of smoke is blown out through my nose. This is an important taste factor as far as I am concerned. The nose, besides picking up the taste nuances, also tells me the strength of the cigar and dictates how I will smoke it.

Wilky eluded to blowing smoke out of the nose in a thread somewhere in the archives. If the smoke is strong, take a fair size breath in first before pulling the smoke into your mouth. This way you will have sufficient oxygen in your lungs to be able to blow the smoke out of your nose. If the smoke is strong, you simply take in more oxygen. Blowing out smoke with oxygen creates a filtering affect. The strength also dicates the quantity of smoke I will blow out of my nose. Well, this is the way I do it because I HAVE to blow smoke out of my nose, this together with the taste buds in my mouth, allows me to get the full taste of the cigar.

Brian

Nicely done Andrew!

The subjectivity of the cigar smoking experience is one of the things I enjoy greatly about it.

when I usually take a cigar puff, I also inhale air through my nose (simultaneously), its not gently though. I can't stop any smoke from going into my lungs, but since I am not hacking up a cough, I can say that if there is smoke going into my lungs, its minimal.

I learned this when I was in college smoking things other than cigars (ahem), and realized that if I mix in some air as well as smoke from the stick, I get a better drag, a better taste, the smoke isn't as hot, and I can hold it longer in my lungs (or in case of cigar smoking, in my mouth) so my palatte can get a better definition of the subtle flavors and nuances of what I am smoking. Sometimes I "swish" the smoke around my mouth as if I were doing a stereotypical wine tasting routine, although this doesn't neccessarily help me pick up flavors as it does ruin my breath.