• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar Tasting: The Lesson of New Coke

moki

el Presidente
This excerpt from an article on the "New Coke" debacle reminded me of the fickle nature of taste as it relates to cigars. Amazing how much influence things other than the tobacco -- such as vociferously voiced opinions or packaging -- can impact our perceptions of taste.

The whole article is a good read, but here's the germane excerpt:

New Coke became a vehicle for large-scale informational conformity, the human tendency to unconsciously adjust one's opinions to correlate with the outspoken views of the social group.

In retrospect, some marketers believe that the failure of New Coke may have had something to do with sensation transference, a human oddity first described by Louis Cheskin in the 1940s. Cheskin demonstrated that people will unconsciously associate imagery, sounds, tastes, aromas, and textures into their general impression of a product, even if such associations are unintended or inaccurate. These sensory inputs create a halo effect which actually modifies flavor perception, so while cola drinkers may have preferred the new Coke formula, they may have disliked the "taste" of the redesigned packaging.

Even Gay Mullins– the man who tried to sue to restore the old flavor– showed a preference for New Coke when subjected to blind taste tests. It has been suggested that if Coca-Cola had changed their recipe but retained the familiar branding, New Coke and its taste-test-winning flavor might have been more acceptable to our primitive brains.

Sensation transference was also powerfully demonstrated in a 2007 experiment, in which preschoolers were given McDonald's menu items in both branded and plain wrappers. Although the foods were identical aside from their wrappings, the children said they preferred the taste of the McDonald's-branded burgers, carrots, and apple juice in the vast majority of tests.

Sensation Transference....

"more acceptable to our primitive brains"....

"subjected to blind taste tests"...

"powerfully demonstrated"....

New Coke =======> Soda

Moontrance ======> Cigars

Are you saying that New Coke failed because it didn't have that familiar "twang" to it? :laugh:

New Coke did have a twang. One i couldnt rid my pallet of soon enough after my first taste.

We did a similar "test" for a large conference group where I worked a few years ago where we put the same items on buffets in major "brand" packaging and then in plain packaging, it's all about brand recognition and perception as well as conditioning. The name brand stuff was all consumed while the exact same product in generic packaging just sat there. Not such a suprise as everyone that worked at the hotel knew what the results would be before the conferees showed up...