• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CigarFriendly.us - My Latest Project

sboyajian

Been a hectic couple of months with the birth of my second son, work going crazy and now the holidays. It's been hard to get to all the forums as much as I'd like.. So I apologize for the month long absence.

However, I wanted to share with you all my newest project. It's still technically in Beta, however it is functional and I am moving all development to a secondary server so it should atleast be functional and stable.

The site is http://www.CigarFriendly.us.

It is a user modified national database of Cigar Friendly establishments. I decided to build this when my usual lounge closed down because of the Virginia Smoking ban, even though it didn't apply to them.

I hope you all find it useful as it seems every state is starting to find ways to alienate us.

At this point the site provides the ability to:
Register and Login.
Create a profile and view other people's profiles.
Creating a listing.
Comment on and/or rate a listing.
Leave a Visitor Message on a users profile wall.
Send Private Messages to other users.

Soon to come:
Mobile Version
Event Planning
State Representatives to help introduce people new to others and locations.
Favorites/Bookmarking
much more!

Once I get all the features done and I am satisfied, I will likely begin to add other countries.

Thanks for taking a peek and feel free to send over any suggestions or ideas you might have as I want this to work how people want it to work, and not necessarily just how I want it to work. It is a tool for everyone, not just me.

Wow, that is quite a project. That is a nice database, and certainly good info to use before you travel or go on vacation. Nice job! :thumbs:

Very impressive. Will definitely keep an eye on it and add to it as I come across places.

That is a great project! Let me know if you need help with hosting and coding. :thumbs:

This is very cool! Only two in SC and approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours from me. Would certainly be nice to have a bunch of friends to go hang out with and smoke. Small towns, what can ya do.

Nice work on the site. Just registered and added a little reminder to watch for the opening of the Outlaw South store in Overland Park, KS. Looks like it might be opening up any day now. Thanks, Bryce

Nice. Tried adding a place and the page timed out. Also, there's some slight rendering issues on chrome.

Hey, pretty cool. I'll register and add a few.

Nice. Tried adding a place and the page timed out. Also, there's some slight rendering issues on chrome.
There is a good chance on or around the 15th I was doing a lot of updates.. might have caused the time out (or it was the server -- I think I need a new host sooner than expected).

The Chrome/Safari CSS issue is now resolved. So it should display the same for all.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Another huge round of updates coming in the next couple of days..

Very cool. I'm really digging it so far. Looks much better now with the updated CSS. Also, I was able to add a few entries. Here's a little more feedback (hope you don't mind):

Bugs:
- Tried searching just by state with no other information using just the "quick search" on the left. Selected "GA" and clicked "search". I got the following error:

Code:
ADODB.Recordset error '800a0e78'

Operation is not allowed when the object is closed.

/search.asp, line 81

Feature requests/suggestions
- When submitting an entry, I'd suggest removing the ability to just hit enter on any of the fields and have the page do a submit. I accidentally hit enter and my entry was submitted when I wasn't done with it yet. I had to then go back in to my profile to edit it. If nothing else, perhaps a confirmation page would work. Something like a new page that reads "Here's a preview of entry blah... are you ready to submit yes/no"

- webpage can be somewhat slow at times. I'm not sure what can be done here... Maybe memcaching the db, results, web pages or all of the above would help? Or, maybe it's dns or the host?

- How do I remove an entry?

- When entering a new entry, perhaps the confirmation page above could also list existing entries with the same address. This could cut down on duplicate entries.

- When adding comments/reviews to existing entries perhaps re-arrange things where, instead of using a drop down for the rating, the user can just click the number of stars similar to the way the reviews section in google maps does it.

- Clicking a state takes you to a page where you can see a google maps interface with the locations listed for that state. However, the map is zoomed way out. Perhaps have it center on just the state and add the standard zoom functionality to the maps interface.

That's about it for now. Awesome work so far. I think this i going to turn out to be a really useful tool if everyone starts using it.