• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigarpass Book Thread

Gospel Fluency by Jeff Vanderstelt - A great book to help us understand, live and speak the gospel. A great read for believers and non believers.

Just finished "Speed Girl" about Janet Guthrie. It's a pretty base-level biography, but still a good read for those who love racing and its history (and historical moments).

New Bosch came out today: "Two Kinds of Truth". I'm a few chapters in, and it's classic Bosch. I'm already trying to predict how this one will end, and I'm hoping it doesn't end up the way I fear it will. Bosch is getting up in age and there's only so much left for him to believably do or be a part of. I have been wondering for a long while now if the series is leading towards something happening to Harry and his daughter taking over his role as an investigator, as she was leaning that way for a while. Michael Connelly has given no indication that Maddie or the series is heading that direction, though. He's usually pretty open about his writing intentions, so I guess we'll have to keep reading and see what happens.

I can't believe it's November, already!

I have been reading a lot of John Eldredge over the past few years.

I have been reading a lot of John Eldredge over the past few years.
He's got some great insight and presents it well. When I was working at the cigar shop he came in with one of his boys to pick up some sticks for a trip they were taking. He seemed like a pretty regular guy. Tiny (not that there's anything wrong with that), but very easy to talk with.

He's got some great insight and presents it well. When I was working at the cigar shop he came in with one of his boys to pick up some sticks for a trip they were taking. He seemed like a pretty regular guy. Tiny (not that there's anything wrong with that), but very easy to talk with.

Yeah, he seems pretty down to earth, and I think his concepts can transcend the religious background.
Wild at Heart forced me to look at my life and how I lived it.

I would love to meet him, and his protege Morgan Snyder.

Having (quickly) polished off Connelly's newest Harry Bosch offering, I have been inspired to finally run through the Lincoln Lawyer series. I've been meaning to do so for a while, but after going through several pretty lengthy character series' from different authors, I was just ready to read whatever struck my fancy for a while. I have read a lot of books on driving, lots of F1/Indy driver and attending participant memoirs, a few rock & roll bios, everything Bruce Campbell has written, and then sprinkle in some new releases by some of my favorite authors; my Kindle has earned its initial buy-in... and I've created a LOT of tobacco ash out on the lanai.

I'm going to knock off The Lincoln Lawyer today (Book 1 -- the one they made the movie based on), and then maybe start the second round. There's a new Clive Cussler "Oregon Files" coming out on Tuesday, and I have to decide where I'm going to fit that into my reading plan.

Knocked out three semi-political non-fictions/memoirs this past week (I read a lot when I'm not at work):

-Unbelievable: My Front Row Seat To the Craziest Campaign in American History (Katy Tur)
-Thanks, Obama: My Hopey-Changey White House Years (David Litt)
-Who Thought This Was a Good Idea? (Alyssa Mastromonaco)

All have a pro-Obama slant, but I read them simply because they sounded like interesting behind-the-scenes-of-the-Chief Executive-office type stuff (and two of them had AF1 on the cover -- I'm a sucker for the airplane). Okay, "Unbelievable" was more anti-Trump than pro-Obama, but I do read stuff from both sides of the aisle. My Kindle knows no political affiliation.

Also finished since last visit to this thread:

-The Late Show, Mulholland Dive, Angle of Investigation, Suicide Run, Switchblade, Chasing the Dime, The Safe Man, Void Moon, Blood Work, The Scarecrow, The Poet, The Gods of Guilt, The Fifth Witness, The Reversal, and The Brass Verdict (Michael Connelly) (I've now officially read everything Connelly has published)
-The Cuban Affair (Nelson DeMille)
-Power and Empire (Tom Clancy's Ghost)
-The Dirt (Motley Crue autobiography)
-Typhoon Fury (Clive Cussler)
-These Desired Things (Steve Matchett)
-The Midnight Line (Lee Child)

Yeah, I read a lot.

Started "Artemis" by Andy Weir, who is the same author that wrote "The Martian"... which I loved.

Just finished Artemis and really liked it.:)

Also getting back into some new sci fi with the first book in The Expanse Series - Leviathan Wakes. And dang is it ever good!

Just finished Artemis and really liked it.:)

Also getting back into some new sci fi with the first book in The Expanse Series - Leviathan Wakes. And dang is it ever good!
I'm about halfway through and really enjoying it. I like that the main character is a total smart Alec. I'll have to check out the expanse series.

Just finished Artemis. Great book. The author's style of writing fits perfectly with the way I naturally read. I'm not sure if that makes any sense or not. Another way to state it is that when I read some authors I have to spend time figure out the cadence and style of the author before I can really get into the flow of the book. With this author I just start reading and the story flows.

Just finished Artemis. Great book. The author's style of writing fits perfectly with the way I naturally read. I'm not sure if that makes any sense or not. Another way to state it is that when I read some authors I have to spend time figure out the cadence and style of the author before I can really get into the flow of the book. With this author I just start reading and the story flows.

Finished book 1 of The Expanse and working on Book two. They are long but pretty dang good. I do think the author makes a few mistakes. Like - I can see why Red Rising did so much better than The Expanse even though I think the story in The Expanse is better. The author just makes decisions sometimes that lower rather than increase the tension, which frustrates me as a writer.

Oh also - I finished The Devil in the White City. Mind blowing mix of narrative nonfiction about the Worlds Fair in 1900’s Chicago, following the story of one of the greatest architects of the century mirrored against one of th greatest serial killers of the century. Incredibly captivating read.

Knocked out three semi-political non-fictions/memoirs this past week (I read a lot when I'm not at work):

-Unbelievable: My Front Row Seat To the Craziest Campaign in American History (Katy Tur)
-Thanks, Obama: My Hopey-Changey White House Years (David Litt)
-Who Thought This Was a Good Idea? (Alyssa Mastromonaco)

All have a pro-Obama slant, but I read them simply because they sounded like interesting behind-the-scenes-of-the-Chief Executive-office type stuff (and two of them had AF1 on the cover -- I'm a sucker for the airplane). Okay, "Unbelievable" was more anti-Trump than pro-Obama, but I do read stuff from both sides of the aisle. My Kindle knows no political affiliation.

Also finished since last visit to this thread:

-The Late Show, Mulholland Dive, Angle of Investigation, Suicide Run, Switchblade, Chasing the Dime, The Safe Man, Void Moon, Blood Work, The Scarecrow, The Poet, The Gods of Guilt, The Fifth Witness, The Reversal, and The Brass Verdict (Michael Connelly) (I've now officially read everything Connelly has published)
-The Cuban Affair (Nelson DeMille)
-Power and Empire (Tom Clancy's Ghost)
-The Dirt (Motley Crue autobiography)
-Typhoon Fury (Clive Cussler)
-These Desired Things (Steve Matchett)
-The Midnight Line (Lee Child)

Yeah, I read a lot.

Great list you have there! I’ve read everything, previous to this past fall, of DeMille, Child and Connelly and received The Cuban Affair for Christmas, among 10others. I’ve also read a boat load of Clancy and Cussler. If you like all that you need to read David Baldacci, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. All good reads.

I am filling in some Twain I never got around to reading.

"Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc" 1896
"Roughing It" 1872

"Pudd'nhead Wilson" 1894

Well into Joan and very different from any other Twain I have read. Excellent, though.

-The Force (Don Winslow): Meh. Hard to get emotionally invested when you are not supposed to like any of the characters.
-Enemy of the State (Vince Flynn/Kyle Mills): Mitch Rapp is back. Mills is a worthy successor, but it's not Flynn's Rapp.
-Glidepath (Andrew Watts): Sucked.

Currently reading "The Mechanic: The Secret World of the F1 Pit Lane" by Marc "Elvis" Priestley.

Great list you have there! I’ve read everything, previous to this past fall, of DeMille, Child and Connelly and received The Cuban Affair for Christmas, among 10others. I’ve also read a boat load of Clancy and Cussler. If you like all that you need to read David Baldacci, Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. All good reads.
I need a new character series. Which would you recommend? It's pretty obvious I like cop/detective stories and secret agent types.

I need a new character series. Which would you recommend? It's pretty obvious I like cop/detective stories and secret agent types.

They’re all entertaining but if I had to; Nelson DeMille’s Plumb Island. John Cory is the wise ass NY Detective forced to work with the “sticks up their butt” FBI. I think there were six book in the run. Or, right up there is Kyle Mills Phinox Rising. Another wise ass but this time an FBI agent. He needs to find out who poisoned the cocain supply but has sort of a moral dilemma doing so.

Nothing like a good book with a cigar.