• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars Damp?

T2P

Green Horn
So I have a coolidor with 70% RH beads in it. It maintains an RH of 69 to 70. I have smoked a few cigars from it and as of yet a few of them have had issues with going out rather easily despite continuous puffs (each minute roughly). The foot has always started fully red and the draws are very nice but eventually the smoke just gets lighter and lighter and then goes out. Is it possible that the RH is too high? If so, with the 70% beads am I able to get it below that and maintain a consistent level (ie 65%) below the 70% they are rated for?

To my knowledge, it isn't possible to get 70% beads to maintain 67%. One thing I read here that you can try though, is pull the cigar out of the humidor an hour or so before you plan to smoke it. That should help.

So I have a coolidor with 70% RH beads in it. It maintains an RH of 69 to 70. I have smoked a few cigars from it and as of yet a few of them have had issues with going out rather easily despite continuous puffs (each minute roughly). The foot has always started fully red and the draws are very nice but eventually the smoke just gets lighter and lighter and then goes out. Is it possible that the RH is too high? If so, with the 70% beads am I able to get it below that and maintain a consistent level (ie 65%) below the 70% they are rated for?

What cigars are they?

Some like 70% some 65% and some even a little lower.

As for changing the bead RH....I know there's info on CP discussing it. Search is your friend! :D

What cigars are they?

Some like 70% some 65% and some even a little lower.

As for changing the bead RH....I know there's info on CP discussing it. Search is your friend! :D

None of them are isom's. The most recent was a Cupido.

Also thanks for the heads up on search. I will check it out.

Take out what you want to smoke for the week and dry box them. ( empty cigar box with no humidification )

The wrappers are a little bit heavier, usually slightly darker than natural to maduro. None of them were really thin.

As for the dryboxing two questions. How long would you need to box them? Second, can I use a desktop humidor as a drybox if it doesn't have a humidification device or would that not "breath" as well?

As for the dryboxing two questions. How long would you need to box them?

Take out 5 cigars. Put them in the desktop humidor. Smoke 1 a day.
When one of the 5 smokes perfectly, that's how long to dry box them ( day count).

Second, can I use a desktop humidor as a drybox if it doesn't have a humidification device or would that not "breath" as well?

Yes

As for the dryboxing two questions. How long would you need to box them?

Take out 5 cigars. Put them in the desktop humidor. Smoke 1 a day.
When one of the 5 smokes perfectly, that's how long to dry box them ( day count).

Second, can I use a desktop humidor as a drybox if it doesn't have a humidification device or would that not "breath" as well?

Yes

One a day? Geeze I smoke one a week at most...

lol if you're only going to smoke one a week, then just increase the number of days you dry box it until you find a nice balance. IMO a few days should be fine. But start off with a day, then two, etc. It may take you a month or so to find your balance, but that's fine!

I have started using 65% beads due to that reason. My local B&M keeps their humidor at 70-72 and I hate buying a cigar and smoking it their or that day. Its simply my tastes and how I like it but thats the way it is. I would suggest dry boxing for a day and see how that goes. I dont have the experience yet to know which sticks are better and a certain humidity but its a goal Im will to strive for.

I will try dryboxing. I also have a spare humi so would maybe removing the ones from the 70 and putting them in one in the low 60's achieve similar results?

I was having similar problems with some of my cigars, particularly cigars with darker wrappers. I brought my RH from 69-70 down to 65-66, and all my burn problems went away. I was amazed at how much difference just a few points of change in RH had on the way a cigar smoked. I now keep all my smokes at 65-66, 67 tops. Luckily here in central TX it's easy to drop RH if I need to. Dry winters and A/C in summer ensure low RH in the house all year.

If your beads are 70%, drop down to 65% and you should notice an improvement in burn quality.

Aaron in Austin

Most collectors come to the conclusion that 70% is too high for most purposes. The common application is long term aging.

66% isn't a bad compromise for cigars stored in boxes but that is too low for some cigars, The best solution is more than one storage device with one for long term and Dominicans(70%), one for the rest of your NCs(67%), and one for CCs and Pepin corojos(65%).

I have two and keep one at 65% and one at 66%. Both have 65% beads but the 66% also has a Hydra with an extra fan. I smoke too many cigars for long term storage to be practical. ;) I also have a nice humidor I keep at 60% to store cigars I plan to smoke in the next week or two.

I would definitely think about dry boxing the cigar(s) you intend to smoke for a day or so before smoking them. This should help. 65% Rh is also another idea.

I would definitely think about dry boxing the cigar(s) you intend to smoke for a day or so before smoking them. This should help. 65% Rh is also another idea.

I am not planning on smoking until probably after Xmas. As a result I will obtain some 65% beads and set up the small humidor as a smoking one. Any I plan to smoke within the next couple months I will store in there and see how it goes.

I am not planning on smoking until probably after Xmas. As a result I will obtain some 65% beads and set up the small humidor as a smoking one. Any I plan to smoke within the next couple months I will store in there and see how it goes.

OK I have a problem. The humidity outside the humidor is HIGHER than 70. WIll dryboxing still work?

OK I have a problem. The humidity outside the humidor is HIGHER than 70. WIll dryboxing still work?
If the humidor seals well, it won't make a difference.