• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars for value

Triple_D

Triple_D
I'm looking ot grab a cheap box of ISOM's to pass out at my wedding. Here's the ones I'm looking at:

Fonseca Delicias
Jose Piedra Conservas
Jose Piedra PC

I'm open to other suggestions also if any of you know of a good cheap ISOM.

I've never had one, but you can get a box of Romeo Y Julieta Perfectos for not much more than the Fonsecas. My only thought here is that Joe Non Cigar Smoker will see 'Romeo Y Julieta' and be more lilely to think 'wow, an ISOM!' (ok, they won't say ISOM, but you know what I mean. :)).

Triple_D said:
I'm looking ot grab a cheap box of ISOM's to pass out at my wedding. Here's the ones I'm looking at:

Fonseca Delicias
Jose Piedra Conservas
Jose Piedra PC

I'm assuming that you're giving them to people who don't generally smoke cigars -- as such, I don't think the Jose Piedra's would be good choices. They are pretty robust, bordering on harsh, IMHO.

A better thing to go for might be mild, if you're getting them for mostly non-cigar smokers. I've found that what people who are cigar nuts consider to be good, most newcomers just choke on.

Get something mild; doesn't necessarily have to be Cuban, I doubt people who are not into cigars would notice the difference.

moki said:
Triple_D said:

Fonseca Delicias
Jose Piedra Conservas
Jose Piedra PC

I'm assuming that you're giving them to people who don't generally smoke cigars -- as such, I don't think the Jose Piedra's would be good choices. They are pretty robust, bordering on harsh, IMHO.

A better thing to go for might be mild, if you're getting them for mostly non-cigar smokers. I've found that what people who are cigar nuts consider to be good, most newcomers just choke on.

Get something mild; doesn't necessarily have to be Cuban, I doubt people who are not into cigars would notice the difference.
This is good advice most people would like mild smokes. If they don't smoke cigars a stonger smoke might taste bad to them

Bill

LOL I'd go with Quinteros but you'll probably make them sick :p

The Fonsecas are mild, the Jose Piedras ar STRONG, so there ya go. If I were you, I'd stick with the mild ones ;) Whadda tryin' to do kill 'em with those strong Jose Piedras? :D

Cabanas are a medium, machine made line
Gispert Habaneras No. 2's are a nice, mild machine made
Guantnanmera is a new brand I've never tried, are supposedly mild. I'd go with the Decimos if you go with this brand.
Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Coronations (in tubes) are a nice mild cigar and since they come in tubes, you can impress your guests ;)
Vegueros are supposedly nice mild cigars but I've never had any nor do I know where they are sold.

That oughta keep you busy ;)

OK the Jose Piedra's are out. You guys are right about most of them not being cigar smokers. The Fonseca's are still high on the list but I'm going to look into the Romeo Y Julieta Perfectos and the Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Coronations also. Keep the suggestions rolling :thumbs:

Thanks

I second coventrycat.

HDM petit coronas are a nice light flavor medium body smoke.

Guantnanmera are a fair medium flavor nice little smoke (Machine made?)

Also, Monecristo #4 petit corona can be found around $150. A nice step up to be sure.

Congrats again on the wedding.

Min Ron NEE makes me look pretty smart, huh? :D

Well at least I admitted to the brands I've never had ;)

Triple_D said:
OK the Jose Piedra's are out. You guys are right about most of them not being cigar smokers. The Fonseca's are still high on the list but I'm going to look into the Romeo Y Julieta Perfectos and the Hoyo de Monterrey Petit Coronations also. Keep the suggestions rolling :thumbs:

Thanks
For what it's worth, a number of my friends aren't really cigar smokers either -- from my evil experiments with having them smoke various cigars, I've found this. Their favorite cigars are not Cubans, not high end Domestics -- they are milder and sweeter flavored cigars.

Currently I've found that cigars like the AF Hemingway Maduros seem to be the profile of what they enjoy the most. Relatively light, a nice sweet chocolatey flavor. A friend of mine was smoking a Signature Maduro I gave him, and I let him try a puff on the Davidoff Chateau LaTour I was smoking (on my birthday) -- he wrinkled his nose and went back to his Hemingway Maduro. Go figure.

So if the goal is for the guys to enjoy their smokes, go for something on the milder and perhaps sweeter side -- a nice maduro smoke perhaps.

Since I'm guessing you'll go Cuban or not at all ;) -- how about these? The fit the bill as mild, inexpensive, semi-sweet and easy for newcomers:

Rafael Gonzalez Panetelas Extra
Fonesca Delicias
Vegueros Especiales
Quai d'Orsay Gran Coronas

Thanks Moki, I'm leaning strongly towards the Fonseca's as I like them myself. And it's hard to beat the price.

"Inexpensive"? QdO's are tough to find for a reasonable price. I like these cigars quite a bit but tend to shy away from them due to their relatively high cost.

Not that I would EVER buy Cuban cigars as that would be illegal :p

coventrycat86 said:

"Inexpensive"? QdO's are tough to find for a reasonable price. I like these cigars quite a bit but tend to shy away from them due to their relatively high cost.
hmmmm... perhaps we need to talk. I have some sources that offer them for extremely reasonable prices.

I'm leaning towards cabs of Partagas Shorts or Hoyo de Deputes to hand out at mine

Good advice to go with a milder smoke. Have you considered H. Upmann coronas major A/T? Excellent price and your guests get to keep the tube as souvenier. :thumbs:

Swisher Sweet Habanos. Definitely Swisher Sweet Habanos.

:sign:

What about some RyJ Exhibicion #4's? They are relatively cheap and you could get a Cab. so as to take care of all your southern relatives.

I agree 100% with the mild'er the better for non cigar smokers... Personally I like the JLP's, but I like strong cigars. ;)

While no q-ban smoke is "mild" per-se (at least in my opinion), In that price range it might be tough, but if you're willing to spend a little more I'd suggest:

RyJ Coronita's en Cedro... Great machine made Corona's, look just like the en Cedro #3's
Montecristo #4 (enough said), more expensive but an amazing cigar.
Troya Universales, cheap and good.

I've had experience with all those, and would recomend any without concern :thumbs:

GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATULATIONS! :)

The wedding must be costing you a bundle to fly everyone out of the US to somewhere that ISOMs are legal :p I think there was a fellow calloing himself Cohibin around here trying to band some supossed Cubans - maybe you should buy those. :sign: I have no experience at all with ISOMs so I wouldn't know what an inexpensive one vs an expensive one goes for.

Congratulations on your Marriage and Good luck!
Matt