• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

cigars from mexico

okiesmoke

Heading to Cancun next week to celebrate my passing the bar exam. I was supposed to go last July but my dad had some heart conditions so we postponed it til now.

Do you guys know what the market's like for buying and bringing back cigars (non ISOM's) from Mexico. I was just thinking that if cigars are as cheap as everything else there, why not stock up on some quality dominicans or otherwise.

I'll check the customs website, as this was recommended from a search, but I'm sure cigars from Mexico back to USA are going to be a little suspect anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Any other advice about mexico would also be appreciated. Going to be my first time.

Don't buy anything in Mexico unless you're well educated in spotting fakes. If you're going to buy cigars there, stick to "Authorized Habanos Dealer" shops.

EDIT: I just saw where you were talking about non-ISOMs

Forget about anything "smokable" other than ISOM's. As for cigars from the D.R. good luck they are almost non existant. X2 on authorized Habano retailers.

Really, no non ISOM's?

Thought maybe I'd find some. I also have read a couple threads about fake Padron anniversaries, so I was a little leary.

You guys are the experts. I'm staying at the aventura spa palace just about 50 miles from cancun airport....I think. Where can I find a LCDH in the area?

I did not find much where I was. Did get offered some nice fake Cohibas on the street though. Cigarettes were cheaper.

I spend a lot of time in Mexico.
Baja mostly
I race down there 3 times a year and my buddy has a place 100 miles South of Ensenada

My experience is mostly with a couple legit shops. One guy will take Habanos and replace bands while you wait.

I have good luck but do some research ont the fakes.

You can kinda tell the places that are legit.

NEVER BUY FROM A GUY ON THE STREET

Cancun has a legit Habanos shop and smoke lounge right on the main drag. You will also find a legit shop in the La Isla shopping mall on the main drag. DONOT buy cigars at the outdoor markets like market 28. The resort I stayed at had a great cigar lounge with an ample supply of good cigars as well. As far as Dominican or others go you will rarely find them because the Mexicans are quite proud of the cigars they make in their own country. A. Turrent is a big name there and one of the most common Mexican cigars along with the TeAmo brand. I care for very little from either line but you might like them.

The LCDH is across the street for the police station... the main street is called Kukulcan Blvd, and LCDH is just north of the Kukulcan Plaza Mall... David is the owner, and is sometimes there... Nice guy... Cigars are pricey, but the good stuff... I haven't had luck at the La Isla shop mentioned above, although the girl working the counter is kinda cute and very nice, if that helps you want to buy questionable smokes...

Find a place BEFORE you go and convert most of your money to pesos... It is much easier to get around with them than with US dollars... Taxis are pretty cheap, but the bus system is REALLY cheap... Cancun is a BLAST... You will love it. Just my .02... Have fun!

I spend a lot of time in Mexico.
Baja mostly
I race down there 3 times a year and my buddy has a place 100 miles South of Ensenada

My experience is mostly with a couple legit shops. One guy will take Habanos and replace bands while you wait.

I have good luck but do some research ont the fakes.

You can kinda tell the places that are legit.

NEVER BUY FROM A GUY ON THE STREET

I also travel to Baja often. I live 7 miles away!

I shop for my cigars in Ensenada, but since reading this site I have become a little suspicious of the authenticity. "Beyond the band" would you mind sharing the shop that you purchase at?