• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars going bad

Ironpeddlar is in line with what I was thinking. Try longer dryboxing, with differant time intervals. I would definitely calibrate the hygrometer again. It might have had a component go bad, been dropped, etc. They are fairly fragile to shock and vibration. Consider that most folks buy 10 to 20 buck hygros which equates to a very cheap component and build quality. One reason why I keep more than one Hygro in my box.

See if someone around has a smoke...and try theirs!

Have them try yours!

Sandbox HERF!

:thumbs:

I was wondering when someone was going to noticed where he's at.:laugh:

Doc.
That's why I suggested the possibility it may be the smoker. In a harsh environment who knows what may be affecting the senses. Also why I mentioned Temp.

Fluctuating Temps can also play havoc with cigars. They like it static. ;)

I've never been to Iraq, but when my Seabee battalion did desert warfare training at Camp Pendleton, by the end of the second day everything tasted like dust. Smokes, cokes, MREs, everything.

On Diego Garcia, working 10-12 hour days in the shop (I was a Construction Mechanic in the 'Bees) pretty soon everything, even black coffee, tasted like diesel exhaust. I lost a lot of weight that deployment! :laugh:

Guess what I'm saying is, depending on how long you've been over in the sandbox AND on your current assignment, I'd look at environmental factors first.

~Boar

Thanks so much for all of the replies. I'm going to work on getting the humidity regulated a little better and hope that fixes the problem. If it's all environmental then I guess I'll have one more reason for wanting to get home soon (and one more thing to look forward to when i get there).

Thanks again,
Logan

how do you feel about replacing the beads with the boveda humidipaks?

I'm not opposed to it, but I just the beads so I feel like I should try them out for a while. Maybe there's just a bit of an adjustment period.

Is it possible your distilled water has been contaminated? If you're refilling your beads with it, it'll affect everything in the box.

Is it possible your distilled water has been contaminated? If you're refilling your beads with it, it'll affect everything in the box.

oooh...I hadn't thought of that. I'm using bottled water since I can't get distilled out here. Could that explain it?