• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars in the Dominican

Zeebra

Daddy still loves Padrón!
So i've found some threads that say most of the DR cigars you can't buy while in the DR cause they're for export only. Can I have this explained to me like I'm an idiot one more time?

I have a buddy who may be going to the DR, can he not buy a box of Fuentes while he's there? Are they not available even at the airport while leaving?

I could be way way off on this.

The general public can't afford to buy the premium brands at cost. The market and demand is much higher outside of the DR, hence production is focused on the export.

There are a boatload of cigar brands there, many are actually quite smooth and tasty. But nothing like the fuentes and such.

Another interesting fact. The US gets the majority of it's cocoa from the DR. We in turn make candy and chocolate, and export it back. Quite interesting, considering the abundance of cocoa bean in the Dominican, yet there's a shortage of chocolate candy.

One CANNOT tour the fuente factory, but can buy cigars at the airport. But your buddy will find them cheaper online.

What I found best is to just gamble on the local brands. That's how I found the Flor de Gurabo's, no one's ever heard of them, and they aren't nothing special. But it's fun to smoke a completely unknown dominican. Finding someone who is rolling on the spot is key as well... those cigars always taste special.

If he's staying at an AI (which im sure he is) there will be cigar peddlers setup in the lobby one night of the week. More faux cubans that you can shake a stick at. Glass tops galore!!

edited to reflect TJMs research

On the Fuente site, they talk about why they can't sell tobacco in the DR. They have factories on gov't land or some zoning land free trade blah blah balh, and thats why they can't sell in the DR. All fuente stuff must me exported

Ok, here is the actual quote:

I am visiting the Dominican Republic. How can I get a tour of the factory?

Answer:

While we would love to welcome every cigar lover to our factories, we are unfortunately unable to have tours. Our factories are located in a special "Free Trade Zone" in the Dominican Republic. These zones are huge manufacturing complexes surrounded by barbed wire fences and secured by armed members of the Dominican army who search every vehicle. Probably 90% of Dominican cigars are made in these Zones which allow for the direct exportation of our cigars. Therefore, because of their location, we are unable to host regular tours of our factories.

Question:

Can I buy your cigars in the Dominican Republic?

Answer:

Unfortunately, because our factories are located in the special "Free Trade Zones" all of the cigars must be directly exported from the Dominican Republic. Therefore, to legally sell cigars in the DR, we would have to import them from the USA.
Hope this helps!

tjm5019 said:

Answer:

While we would love to welcome every cigar lover to our factories, we are unfortunately unable to have tours. Our factories are located in a special "Free Trade Zone" in the Dominican Republic. These zones are huge manufacturing complexes surrounded by barbed wire fences and secured by armed members of the Dominican army who search every vehicle. Probably 90% of Dominican cigars are made in these Zones which allow for the direct exportation of our cigars. Therefore, because of their location, we are unable to host regular tours of our factories.

Question:

Answer:

Unfortunately, because our factories are located in the special "Free Trade Zones" all of the cigars must be directly exported from the Dominican Republic. Therefore, to legally sell cigars in the DR, we would have to import them from the USA.
Hope this helps!
[snapback]276723[/snapback]​

This is true. I did a vacation there couple of years ago, A lot of fake cigars being sold. Do some homework on the area your going to, Get on a BB board and ask about where to go and who to buy from and you will be happy with what you can find.

tjm5019 said:

Answer:

Question:

Answer:

Hope this helps!
[snapback]276723[/snapback]​

Outstanding research! That makes a lot more sense then my mumbo jumbo.

tjm5019 said:
I try to be a member which contributes knowledge that is useful!
[snapback]276756[/snapback]​

Thanks for the info, stupid me didn't bother checking the Fuente website with the FAQ that you've kindly reproduced. My bad.

Back in February of 2000 I spent 3 days hanging out with Carlos Fuente Jr and toured all of his factories. The Free Trade Zone which houses almost every mfg of Dominican cigars is like a little city enclosed behind barbed wire and guarded by military troops.

Even I couldn't get a box of Fuente cigars to take home with me; it is a major violation if you are caught with a box leaving the island.

I also smoked a bunch of Cuban cigars while we were there. There was a Casa Del Habanos store right next to the resort we were staying at. There was also an incredible amount of fake Cubans being sold in every single store on the island. I am talking about clothing, jewelry, food, every type of store. There are factories pumping out hundreds of thousands of fake Cubans. Make sure you tell your buddy to not waste his time or money trying to get you a box, they will be fake.

The only mfg who does sell their cigars on the island is La Aurora. They ship them out of the country and then have them shipped back in for sale on the island. Prices are more than what you would pay here in the states.

edited for spelling

Harris,

How did you like the factory tour, was it worth the visit?

jabba,the tour was awesome, especially since Carlito was our personal tour guide. The Fuente factories are amazing, they are the cleanest you will ever find, and the quality control they have going there is mind boggling. In comparison to the Cuban factories, the Cuban are like 17th century compared to Fuentes 21st century.

If you are thinking about going to the Cigar Family Celebration in the DR, it is a great time. You will definitely have a blast.

I get to tour the Fuente factory! I'm pretty excited and hope Carlito will be the one to take us on the tour.

Most cigars are made in the free trade zone in the DR. the cigars are made for export only.

jabba,the tour was awesome, especially since Carlito was our personal tour guide. The Fuente factories are amazing, they are the cleanest you will ever find, and the quality control they have going there is mind boggling. In comparison to the Cuban factories, the Cuban are like 17th century compared to Fuentes 21st century.

If you are thinking about going to the Cigar Family Celebration in the DR, it is a great time. You will definitely have a blast.

I'm visiting the DR soon. How does one get to take one of these tours?

let me keep it short,

Yes Fuente sell's and has a small distribution in the DR, airports a few stores (one in the gran Almirante Hotel runned by Sandra Kelner the sister of Hendrik Kelner) and a few other stores, beside that there is small humidor service for restaurants etc.

The only mfg who does sell their cigars on the island is La Aurora. They ship them out of the country and then have them shipped back in for sale on the island. Prices are more than what you would pay here in the states.
so this i also not true, first of all Zona Franca (Free Zone) Companies based in the DR are allowed to import 5 % (sometimes even 10%) into the DR, simply application form, pay the taxes (VAT & Tobacco Tax) and the case is ready. beside that there are plenty smaller manufacturers who are selling their brands on the Island

barbed wire and guarded by military troops.
ajajajjjj

Military troops, this is a little overdone my friend, the people working as guard are partly customs and normal unarmed security personal, additional to that there is an army unit for prevention, they are stand by, not at the gates but out of the picture.

regards

BC

From my experience with the Free Trade Zones- They have to export the cigars out of the country then import them again to sell at the resorts, museums etc. This makes them much more expensive than we can buy here online.