• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars to Iraq

PanheadJay

Here's a question for some of you that have been ordering cigars for some time.
Who ships their cigars the most humid? I am currently in Iraq, average shipment time is 7-10 days. Sometimes 2-3 weeks or even longer. So finding out who ships the most humid cigars would be very beneficial.
I have modified a 120mm mortar crate (31"X11"x6", interior dimensions) into a Humidor! Ordered some spanish cedar veneer from Rockler along with some titebond III wood glue. Cut, installed, weighted with rocks, bullets, etc... whatever I could find! It rippled some as clamping perfection did not occur. It is maintaining humidity at 71% with the use of a humi care electronic humidifier and two 4 oz jars of humi care gel. I have heard that mixing humidification devices is bad juju, but when it's 8% humidity, got to do what you got to do. And it's working, so unorthodox or not, I'm sticking with it. Only time will tell what the capacity of this thing is and I may not find out until my arrival back to reality in 10 months! And yes I'm taking it home and putting on some kind of wooden stand in the cool dark hallway of my home in West Lake Hills, Austin, TX.

welcome to CP!!!
There are several vendors on here that will probably be happy to help you out. Just message keystoneraider or uptownisy; both great guys and I'm sure they will wrap the box and put a water pillow in there for the trip.

Who ships their cigars the most humid? I am currently in Iraq, average shipment time is 7-10 days. Sometimes 2-3 weeks or even longer. So finding out who ships the most humid cigars would be very beneficial.
I have modified a 120mm mortar crate (31"X11"x6", interior dimensions) into a Humidor! Ordered some spanish cedar veneer from Rockler along with some titebond III wood glue. Cut, installed, weighted with rocks, bullets, etc... whatever I could find! It rippled some as clamping perfection did not occur. It is maintaining humidity at 71% with the use of a humi care electronic humidifier and two 4 oz jars of humi care gel. I have heard that mixing humidification devices is bad juju, but when it's 8% humidity, got to do what you got to do. And it's working, so unorthodox or not, I'm sticking with it. Only time will tell what the capacity of this thing is and I may not find out until my arrival back to reality in 10 months! And yes I'm taking it home and putting on some kind of wooden stand in the cool dark hallway of my home in West Lake Hills, Austin, TX.

Jay, thanks for serving!

I personally don't think you needed the cedar, but it does lend some class to the ammo box.

First, look here and especially here

71% is also high for my tastes. It could cause wrappers to split there in the sandbox. I would drop that to 60 and ditch the gel.

Plywood, not like it's luan or anything fancy! You know Uncle Sam, lowest bidder and all! I was thinking that even though I'm an Old, dirty, mean & Nasty Staff Sergeant, I didn't want my less than expensive cigars tasting like US Army plywood! Since the project rippled, I plan to rip it out once home and redo with 1/8" cedar planks.
As you can see from the photos I had some cigars in there, but have since taken them out. I put them in a desktop 75. I got my hands on some clamps, took a utility knife, some more glue and attempted to get the ripples out. That was a waste of time! I've now eliminated the gel, since I was thinking that cigars at 70%, then smoked in 8% would begin to unravel! Just as you said. Got a box of 25 torpedos in today, so we'll see what happens when i smoke them after a month of Mortardor!!!

Hey man...

Post an Intro in the proper forum and fill out your profile to tell us a little more about yourself. We can probably all gather that you're in the Army and ride two-wheeled vehicles, but we like to know a little more about BOTLs than just the basics.

Just thought I'd throw in the pics of the Mortardor.
gallery_10350_1189_5570.jpg
gallery_10350_1189_12651.jpg

Looks better than what I kept my cigars in when I was over there. :thumbs: Then again... my motto was to smoke them fast enough so I wouldn't need anything to hold the humidity very long. lol

21 degrees Celsius= 69.8 degrees Fahrenheit!
And, yes, here we go with all the comments about how everyone has roughed it before and blah, blah, blah... we all know the drill! Well after 18 yrs of being on wave or initial deployment one, I find myself returning to one of the world's shitholes for a second go around. And having always been leading a small group of men, say 3-12, I rather enjoyed myself on those vacations of misery!! I know find myself in need of total hip replacement due to a motorcycle wreck in '85 and the addition of 3 wonderful metallic parts to my left hip that have kept me screwed together for several years. So since I'm not even supposed to be here, according to an orthopedic, but told him BS, that's $60,000 just prior to retirement, here I am. So, this time I get to somewhat enjoy myself or that is what they tell me, working in company OPS, never leaving the FOB, and living in an Air conditioned CHU (containerized housing unit=metal shipping container)! At least I can build kick ass humidors, browse the internet, and smoke my stogies, whenever the hell I want and only worry about the occasional lobbing of inaccurate mortar fire, or some ass hole correcting me on the unpolitically correct issues of my habits! That's when they get YGTWMF!

I have received plenty of cigars from vendors, friends and OPFTH and humidification has never been a problem. Some put humidi packs, some put pillows and some put nothing. I always let them settle for a week or two and if they are dry well they just rest a little longer.

I just use a 48ct Cooler ....ummm 2 times!

Why not just request that the vendor places a bovida humipack inside the box/packing etc? I am sure no vendor would mind doing that to gain a sale. Nevermind helping out a member of the service, who is off protecting his shop and family as well.

Well, the Mortardor is slowly filling up! Yesterday received a box of 25 Don Elias. Today, the much anticipated delivery of the following:
Bandidos Cigarillos-2 bales of 60=120
Punch Gran Puro Lagunas-5 tins of 5=25
Hoyo De Monterrey- one box of 25
Brocatus churchills- 2 boxes x 25=50
I know probably cheap poor man's smokes for those of you spending high $$ on Tobacco Leaf.

They sound like a pretty good selection of smokes to me. I don't know about you but I would have been too nervous having anything too good out there. I would be too afraid of the heat and dry air getting to it. Then again you built yourself a humidor so your already a step ahead of what I had.

If you send me some personal info and will assure me the Humidor would stay in the war zone, I'ld be happy to send a Humidor to my soldiers overseas.......

arlin@Arlinliss.com

So much for slowly filling up the Mortardor! I forgot about the 4 drawer box of 25 CAO Criollo that were already in there. With the addition of yesterday's shipment, the mortardor now only has room for singles! However, do to the fact there are 2 boxes of 10 Carlos Torano 1916 on the way, I may just have to empty the boxes and lay them loosely in the mortardor! I'm very certain that will more than triple the capacity! It will also result in the "marrying" of flavors, if they stay in there any length of time! Since the ones I have and any subsequent ones will have to be enjoyed before Mar 2010, "marrying flavors" really shouldn't be a problem! Why slow down now, should I come upon an unforeseen timeline for movement due to certain waivering political stances, I'll just put up flyers all over KRAB (Kirkuk Regional Airbase) and have a one night cigarfest!!! Come one, come all until supply runs out!!!

If you send me some personal info and will assure me the Humidor would stay in the war zone, I'ld be happy to send a Humidor to my soldiers overseas.......

arlin@Arlinliss.com

Very nice Arlin.

Jay...I hope you used the 'google-fu' on this one!