• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cipher (DONE)

I struggled with this, for many of the same reasons as C&G did.. my guess is that the original alphabet is aligned with numbers.. and those numbers are multiplied by something and modded by another number..

e(x) = a(x) mod b

now.. figuring out the multiplier and the mod.. b might = 26 ?

I am thinking a key word is being used, but it is a little tough to fiqure out do to the length of the message... if I knew for sure what the box looks like, it would be easier... Here is the assumption that I am making:

I just can't devote anymore time to it. I do actually have work to do! LOL

C&G...

vigenere? stealing my contest ideas? but the number patterns dont tell of a Vigenere cipher.. and it's likely unbreakable without finding out the key.

a 3x9 matrix almost works..

a b c d e f g h i
j k l m n o p q r
s t u v w x y z

i tried flipping it so that the nine spot was an empty space..
s t u v w x y z
r q p o n m l k j
a b c d e f g h i

but it's just not working

a 3x9 matrix almost works..

a b c d e f g h i
j k l m n o p q r
s t u v w x y z

i tried flipping it so that the nine spot was an empty space..
s t u v w x y z
r q p o n m l k j
a b c d e f g h i

but it's just not working

I am thinking that it is a BOTCHED monome-dinome cipher with key word. -er...or maybe not botched... The nine without a number preceding might be a null (or space) Like this:

- 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 C I G A R S B D E F
2 H J K L M N O P Q T
3 U V W X Y Z

This could be supported by the fact that 36, 37, 38, 39 are not used. But also note that the 5 is not used in the second part of the dinome... that could be a wrench...
Note: I have figured out that the Stradding Checkerboard is not used.

C&G... eating and fiquring

C&G . i think you're onto something. Unfortunately, I threw out all my computer security notes from last semester... but I'm at work anyway. now we just have to guess a plausible keyword...

but the 9, for space...would be 19.. not just 9. :angry:

C&G . i think you're onto something. Unfortunately, I threw out all my computer security notes from last semester... but I'm at work anyway. now we just have to guess a plausible keyword...

but the 9, for space...would be 19.. not just 9. :angry:

Well, you would think so... but if you didn't want to use another number...then it works. The only reason I suspect this, is because it seems all the dinomes are already broken out:

20-31-9-19-10-21-13-31-30-14-16-31-9-14-27-23-20-28-30-33-18-32

vice what I would do if I constructed this:

20319 19102 11331 30141 63191 42723 20283 03318 32000

In my way you would HAVE to use another number to show the code breaker where to insert a space. Actually, in real-life, most codes would not use a space...:
whenb roken outal lthew ordsk inda runto gether
Oh...and to clear up the confusion...my box would look like this: (I use the "*" character to act as a space holder.)

*0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
1 C I G A R S B D E F
2 H J K L M N O P Q T
3 U V W X Y Z - - -

Besides the ROT13 I tried last night I also tried to see if I could make it work as Hex and I couldn't get that to work either.

I recently got a pm asking for a hint. I will offer a few. There are no spaces. I have all of the words jammed together. I am afraid that I have made this too difficult. The code I have used works something like this

-- 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 .......
88 a b c d e f g h i .......
89 b c d e f g h i j.......
90 c d e f g h i j k.......

If for example the first letter of the sample were to be an "A" its number would be 88. If the second letter were to be a "D" its number would be 90. So the letter that the number represents changes at an even interval. I was just trying to have a little fun. If this proves too difficult, I will try to come up with another contest.

I recently got a pm asking for a hint. I will offer a few. There are no spaces. I have all of the words jammed together. I am afraid that I have made this too difficult. The code I have used works something like this

If for example the first letter of the sample were to be an "A" its number would be 88. If the second letter were to be a "D" its number would be 90. So the letter that the number represents changes at an even interval. I was just trying to have a little fun. If this proves too difficult, I will try to come up with another contest.

Correct me if I am wrong, but you made this impossible. If you were creating a code or cipher, for it to be of any use it would have to be decipherable by another user with a key. In your example, you are talking about a coordinate system that changes at an even interval. The problem is, your internals are changing, but the coordinate is incomplete. You supply the “y-axis” coordinate, but there is no “x-axis” coordinate. Granted, you are talking about the 1st and 2nd letters in the string, but even with the key, as a user, I won’t know what they are… (other than the fact that they change.) To make your example above correct, you would have to use 881=A, 902=D.
I believe your cipher similar to the internals of a tabula recta or Vigenère cipher, but you use dinome in the cipher when you should use a trinome.

Of course, if I am completely off base, I am an idiot and I apologize. :laugh:

C&G...your friendly neighborhood cryptanalyst

Correct me if I am wrong, but you made this impossible. If you were creating a code or cipher, for it to be of any use it would have to be decipherable by another user with a key. In your example, you are talking about a coordinate system that changes at an even interval. The problem is, your internals are changing, but the coordinate is incomplete. You supply the “y-axis” coordinate, but there is no “x-axis” coordinate. Granted, you are talking about the 1st and 2nd letters in the string, but even with the key, as a user, I won’t know what they are… (other than the fact that they change.) To make your example above correct, you would have to use 881=A, 902=D.
I believe your cipher similar to the internals of a tabula recta or Vigenère cipher, but you use dinome in the cipher when you should use a trinome.

I didn't make it to where 881 = A. I made it where the first letter in the cypher would "A" if the number was 88. So if in my code I wanted the message to be ( ABCDEFG ) It would read 88-88-88-88-88-88-88 or if the message were to be ( ADDD ) It would read 88-90-89-88 . Of course this is just for example.

I didn't make it to where 881 = A. I made it where the first letter in the cypher would "A" if the number was 88. So if in my code I wanted the message to be ( ABCDEFG ) It would read 88-88-88-88-88-88-88 or if the message were to be ( ADDD ) It would read 88-90-89-88 . Of course this is just for example.

OK...Sports Fans, sorry to make your head hurt. But, this will be my last shot at understanding this.
Switters, if "88-88-88-88-88-88-88" would/could break out to "ABCDEFG", what would prevent it to breaking out to "GFEDCBA" or "DABCGFE"? I am sure you know how you encrypted it, but a guy on the other end would not know how to break it unless he had another coordinate, namely an "x-axis." You know how the rows are arranged, but without a knowing where to start in the column, anyone decrypting the message would not be able to, because they don't have a starting point.

Cheers!

C&G...

I've won several contests lately. So, time to bow out and let someone else win. I'm pretty reasonably sure I've got this figured out (Excel formulas + copy paste = win guys).

Hint-- notice the absence of a five.

I've won several contests lately. So, time to bow out and let someone else win. I'm pretty reasonably sure I've got this figured out (Excel formulas + copy paste = win guys).

Hint-- notice the absence of a five.

Thats exactly how I made it. I'm sorry if this hasn't been a good contest. I was just messing around last night and thought this could be fun. I thought I had it set up in a manner that it could be cracked and jlada is definitely on the right track.