• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Circuit City closing stores! >ALL<

I really hate BB as a company, but CC was not much better.

I think Amazon could be the death of BB, but it still amazes me how many people pay higher prices and deal with the employees hawking at you at BB. I could see some items that you need to buy immediately or hold it in your hand before buying, but I stopped shopping unless necessary at big box electronics stores like BB/CC/CUSA years ago and have never regretted the decision.

I've taken my business to Ultimate Electronics. They are some better but it seems many of these places are all the same.

Didn't they go out of business as well?

Best Buy said many years ago that they're goal was to put Circuit City out of business - mission accomplished I guess. I refuse to shop at Best Buy, have had several run-ins with their staff.

In Monrovia, CA - CompUSA went out of business last year, and Circuit City just opened their doors less than a year ago, now they're shutting down. Too bad. Perhaps more of the mom & pops will come back. I never was a fan of large corporations - too many are evil, plain and simple.

Best Buy can kiss it. I shopped there for years and spent plenty of money. I found something I had purchased for almost 300 dollars cheaper on Amazon. They refused to help me out and were extremely unpleasant about the whole situation. They have lost the majority of my business. I have purchased a few things since then, but nowhere near what I did. The only reason being, it was cheaper there than anywhere else.

As far as CC tough luck. I had just started shooping there. UGH where too now.

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME!!! The employee was extremely rude and wouldn't issue me a refund on the difference. She started becoming insulting. I will never step foot in a Best Buy ever again. If I ever get a gift card there, it's being re-gifted.

We were just talking about this.

Now BB has no national chain competition. The stores like Walmart and Sears have been picking up some slack...but were will folks turn.

There is something to be said for 'same day pickup'!

I really hate BB as a company, but CC was not much better.

I think Amazon could be the death of BB, but it still amazes me how many people pay higher prices and deal with the employees hawking at you at BB. I could see some items that you need to buy immediately or hold it in your hand before buying, but I stopped shopping unless necessary at big box electronics stores like BB/CC/CUSA years ago and have never regretted the decision.

I've taken my business to Ultimate Electronics. They are some better but it seems many of these places are all the same.

Didn't they go out of business as well?

THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED TO ME!!! The employee was extremely rude and wouldn't issue me a refund on the difference. She started becoming insulting. I will never step foot in a Best Buy ever again. If I ever get a gift card there, it's being re-gifted.

I'm another member of this club. Our 55" tv went bad less than 2 weeks after the warranty was up. We called BB just to see if they would send someone out to look at it, or if there was anything they would do to help us out. I expected them to probably say no since the warranty was up, but when the douche we were talking to flat out accused us of "just trying to get something for nothing" out of them, and called us scammers, that was the end of my business at BB. Now, Panasonic on the other hand sent someone out to look at the tv and when the determined it was a factory defect, they work with us on a great deal on a new tv, set up delivery for us from a local store for free, and arrange to have our projection tv disposed of even though the warranty was expired. I will never shop at BB again, but Panasonic has a lifelong customer.

yea, i was part of the first layoffs back in 2002. they laid off all of the commission sales reps that were averaging over a certain amount of money.

What kind of idiot can possibly think that makes any kind of sense? ???

It might have to do with Stocks. If you show on the books you saved money. Aggressive accounting maybe?

Hey, some of you CPers need to learn how to use the shift key! :angry: Stop being an imbecile.

No surprise at all. Me and the missus went in one of their stores a couple months back while they were having a "clearance" sale. Even with all of the "discounts" they were still way overpriced compared to everyone else. One of our employees needed a portable hard drive about a month back. He ordered it for in-store pickup. We wasted an hour in there with crappy customer service and walked out empty handed. Went to Best Buy and walked out with what we wanted. Same brand as at CC -but double the capacity- for the same price. I cant speak for all of them, but the workers at the store near me are IDIOTS!

Not that I have been in our local Circuit City stores in a long time but I think the tragedy here is the HUGE number of jobs lost. 30,000+ employees / associates in the US? Ouch!

yea, i was part of the first layoffs back in 2002. they laid off all of the commission sales reps that were averaging over a certain amount of money.

What kind of idiot can possibly think that makes any kind of sense? ???

It might have to do with Stocks. If you show on the books you saved money. Aggressive accounting maybe?

Hey, some of you CPers need to learn how to use the shift key! :angry: Stop being an imbecile.

I think they looked at it from a standpoint of paying an employee 20k a year or 60k. There were people in my store making 80k a year as sales men, not management or anything. I guess they just thought it wasn't worth that. I think that is when they started going downhill, though.

I have to say if it wasn't for Mark in the Wilkes Barre Township store I would not have been shopping there for a few years now. My wife went to H.S. with him and he always treated us great. I feel bad for the jobs being lost but I feel worse for him.

Most to of the employees at either BB or CC I believe to be just plain dumb and I proved that to myself when I was looking to replace my old Infinity floor speakers with a like speaker. 1. I couldn't believe the crap that came out of their mouths and 2. I couldn't believe the crap that the stores stocked.

Well the positive side I guess is that the business that CC would have gotten will go to another retailer, and hopefully keep them out of this situation.

As for Best Buy, I have always had good luck with them. I wish the prices were a bit lower, as Amazon is usually a little better pricing, but I prefer to buy locally unless their is a gross price difference.

We had a $50 gift card to CC so we went there tonight in attempt to use it. After browsing through the store for 1 1/2 hours and not finding anything I wanted, we ended up buying two iTunes gift cards ($25/ea). Yeah, we used a gift card to buy gift cards. :D

Circuit City has a $1B a year internet biz, so someone is either going to snap them up at bargain basement prices and dismantle everything but THAT, or Amazon et al will fill in the gap.

Where I live, the local grocery chain, HEB, has "Plus" stores that sell electronics---flat screens, stereos, etc---at WalMart prices. At the GROCERY store!

Reminds me of when CompUSA went under here . . . I'd bought my 20" iMac from them, setting up a charge account for it that I later offloaded to one of those zero interest balance transfer card offers and paid off. But prior to THAT, they had their going out of biz sale, and I figured, since they were leaving town (I thought . . . didn't realize they were going out of biz ENTIRELY) I tried to use my remaining credit limit on a digital camera and they wouldn't take their own damn card! :rolleyes:

I think we're overbuilt in terms of retail in this country. The shakedown's only going to get uglier.

~Boar

I keep seeing/hearing how a good number of the stores just opened not all that long ago. I wonder how much of this is a result of too rapid expansion? A lot of companies get into a bad spot by growing too fast.

A slowdown in business combined with too rapid expansion can kill a company quickly.

If a large enough shift to online happens, the "internet tax" we were talking about the other day will come much sooner.

I quit CC about a year ago, when they started treating us like chit. In the last stretch of working, we were pretty much forced to use some very dirty tactics. I believe the prez of CC stepped down and the board voted for the layoffs. I could be wrong.

I still am in the process of filing for unpaid OT...

I stopped CC years ago and rarely hit BB anymore. I can get anything I need from somewhere else and try to do that. My last experience with Best Buy... I ordered a digital camera on their website to be picked up at the store. I did everything right, I got the initial email saying they got my order and would get another email in about 30-45 minutes letting me know it's ready for pick up. After a couple hours I never got the email so I called the store and asked them about it, they said come on down it's ready to be picked up, must have been a glitch in the email system.

I drive down there, get in the customer service line, when I get to the counter I show them the printed thing from the website. The guy looked confused, looked around his area for the camera, hands the paper to a girl, she looks around for a while, she finally comes back and tells me that I should just go back to the camera dept. and pick out the camera I ordered and bring it back up. Excuse me? What's the point of ordering online for pick up, if I just have to come in the store and go get it myself and wait for a sales person then wait in the register line? And why weren't these people apologizing for having no clue what customer service is, and running to get the camera themselves?

I go back to the camera dept. and they are jammed with people, no sales person around and the cameras are locked in the cabinet thing. So I had to search around the store for a manager who had his stupid manager earpiece in his ear. He radios for someone to come unlock the cabinet. So I'm livid at this point and I let him know the whole deal. What's he do? Hands me the camera and says to take it back up to the customer service counter.... where I had to wait in line AGAIN. The store wasn't even crowded, it wasn't like it was a crazy shopping day and they were up to their ears with customers.

They are killing themselves... shooting themselves in the foot. That's no way to run any kind of business where you want to retain a customer.

I used to work part-time at a Best Buy a few years back to make my income/taxes/bank statements at least look remotely legit :laugh: . For some God forsaken reason, they put me in PC sales because of my PC experience/knowledge (rather than Geek Squad... really?). I was completely appalled at the utter ignorance of the sales reps in the PC department.

I'm not talking ignorance to nitty-gritty details about the PC's they were selling. I'm talking having NO IDEA what RAM is/does, not knwoing what a gigabyte is, having no idea the difference in models, etc. One guy admitted to not even owning a PC. The manager of the PC dept admitted to not knowing what a processor did. I'm not even kidding.

So, they moved me to Geek Squad. Once again, I could not believe the people they had working there. A good portion of them had no idea how to actually troubleshoot a PC problem, not to mention taking one apart. They only thing they knew was to stick in the ridiculous Best Buy CD and run the batch file - which essentially does jack shit. I ended up fixing 90% of the PCs people brought in under an hour, and Best Buy would end up holding them for days to make it look like it was worth the $200+ dollar repair. Such a joke.

Avoid Best Buy like the plague.

Anyone who does go.... discounts at my store and most likely others was
30% off cables - ie. hdmi
20% off music, movies
10% everything else

Still rather high in price on most goods, maybe someone will find hidden gems.

I quit CC about a year ago, when they started treating us like chit. In the last stretch of working, we were pretty much forced to use some very dirty tactics. I believe the prez of CC stepped down and the board voted for the layoffs. I could be wrong.

I still am in the process of filing for unpaid OT...
At the Nashua store? That place was an absolute shit show today. Traffic was horrible. I can't stand that place.

They built the store in League City (my suburb of Houston), finished the building and then never even opened its doors. I mean it flat never even had the lights on.

unbelievable. You'd think they would have stopped the build at some point.