• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Circulation fans

Interesting. That makes sense. Now that you say that, I realize that the lower 20 inches of my unit is where the physical condensation is always cycling. The top 6 inches is above the cooling unit, and above all condensation. The top 6 inches is also where I had issues.

Hmmm. I will have to look into that. I have one Hygrometer on the bottom next to the bulk of the beads and one about 2/3 of the way up. Nothing on the very top. I will see if I can find a 3rd, reliable hygrometer and put it up there to check the variation.

On a side note, I am still seeing absolutely no condensation.

Air that holds moisture (humidity) is less dense, meaning that the top is going to have more humidity. Somethings to consider is that the air is cooler at the bottom which is could a tempurature inversion, which would cause the air to have a reletive humidity higher than that of warmer air. It doesn't take much 1 degree equals 2% (in a perfect world) Also, you have to take into count that since the beads or humidification is at the bottom, the humidity has to rise throught the lower cigars and the hygrometer creating a measured higher humidity.

A fan would work to help even this out or you could just put some conditioned beads at the top as well. In a coolidor that is laying horizontal you are only dealing with a minimal height were as if you lay it on end (such as a vinodor) it can have a much higher differential.

Nick

Hurts me deeply to help a Gator...lol! Oust fan, available at Target, Wally World, etc....just don't put the smelly stuff in it. They work great.

I agree 100% with this. I went without for a long time and when I finally purchased a couple they worked out perfectly... They cycle on for 5min and then off for 15min and repeat... battery life is excellent as well...

x8

Oust's work perfect and the D-cells do last a long time :thumbs:

Frank, is there a pattern to where you are finding the well and the poorly humidified cigars? Are you sure that it is an issue of humidity?

Wilkey

I can't say i've noticed any pattern, but found it odd that i was occasionally getting a dry wrapper, but i never paid attention to where it came from, but i will going forward. I assume it's low humidity?

I only have the beads in 1 place in the humis, that might be part of the problem, i have some more that i'm about to add, and i suppose i could get a couple more hygrometers to check around.

Is it bad to push air around in a coolidor?

Frank, is there a pattern to where you are finding the well and the poorly humidified cigars? Are you sure that it is an issue of humidity?

Wilkey

I can't say i've noticed any pattern, but found it odd that i was occasionally getting a dry wrapper, but i never paid attention to where it came from, but i will going forward. I assume it's low humidity?

I only have the beads in 1 place in the humis, that might be part of the problem, i have some more that i'm about to add, and i suppose i could get a couple more hygrometers to check around.

Is it bad to push air around in a coolidor?

I always had an Oust fan in my coolers to "push the air around". I think the movement helps keep the humidity more evenly distributed. Granted, those fans don't blow at gale force proportions, but I don't think they need too. You might try distributing the beads throughout your coolidor rather than just putting them in one place, and just wet one of the bead packets, as this will cause the others to draw moisture to them, helping to more evenly distribute the humidity in your cooler.

Just to be clear, my humidity is lower at the BOTTOM of the humidor. I'm using 2lbs of 65% beads evenly disbursed throughout the unit.

I no longer use the cooling feature essentially making my wine fridge a very fancy looking cooler. When I did use the cooling, the condensation created by the fridge would cause the humidity in the lower part of the fridge to increase. I found this was due to the increased cooling in the bottom third of the fridge creating a greater amount of condensation in that area. I ran a fan while using the cooling to even out the readings.

Since I stopped using the cooling, the humidity has acted as I described earlier. 60-62% in the bottom third and 64-65% up top. I could even it out, I suppose, but I've just learned to deal with it. It's really quite stable in regards to fluctuations. Each and every time I check the properly calibrated gauges, they're exactly the same as they always are. It's really solid.

Right now, the basement (where the unit is located) is sitting right at about 25% humidity and the humi is the same as always. Of course, I don't open it very much, so that helps.

I was having the same issues, where my temp was 62-66 degrees and humidity was around 61%. SO I put 65% beads on the top shelf and 70% at the bottom, my humi is now at a constant 66% with 1-2% difference between top and bottom.

Don't forget about the hydra. You can add fans to the unit and with time they sure do even out the humidity in my small cabinet.

I am sure the Oust fan will regulate your RHA% throughout your unit but won't it also generate heat and raise your temp?

I use an Oust fan with beads. Since beads are passive I think it keeps things uniform and returns things to normal faster after opening and introducing some outside air.

Its hard to argue with the price and lack of trouble with an Oust. I get about 3-4 months out of a battery

I am sure the Oust fan will regulate your RHA% throughout your unit but won't it also generate heat and raise your temp?

I currently have a couple of coolers with beads and Oust fans. The digital hygrometers I use, also, show the temperature. It varies by maybe 1-2 degrees from the room it is in, and I attribute that more to the air not changing in the coolers as often as the room air. The Oust fans only run for a few seconds every 5 minutes, not really big enough, or running long enough to generate any heat.

So to be clear, is the general consensus that given equal dispersement of beads throughout the humi that the Rh will be higher at the top? Unless there is a cooling device or storage vessel of beads placed at the bottom which will potentially make the bottom have a higher Rh?

Have they stopped making Oust fans?

Ive been scouring every big box store around to have a couple extra and havent found any, just the refills.

I havent been able to find any either in the stores around here. Think ill just order a few off that site posted earlier.

Safeway/Kroger stores are the only ones that have them in my area. Also, if you go to eBay you can find them.

Nick

Easiest, cleanest solution for PC fans in your humi ever...SilenX fan controller

Works off AC, is small and compact, adjustable fan speeds, but still have to drill hole(s), buy a PC fan(s), nowhere near as cheap as an Oust fan, but gives you more options. Hook it up to a timer and viola. Circulation! I'm planning on using this exact setup for my Wine cooler with a single SilenX 80mm fan.

Piggybacking on this thread, I just purchased an Oust fan today, so I'll check her in a week to see how it's doing. My problem I was having is that the sticks on the top shelf were always more moist than the ones on the bottom... I have a 250 ct. humi, and I dropped an oust into there.

Like I said, I'll see in a week!

Also, if you have a BigLots near you, they are there in droves. I got mine for 5 bucks. If someone wants one, PM me.

So to be clear, is the general consensus that given equal dispersement of beads throughout the humi that the Rh will be higher at the top? Unless there is a cooling device or storage vessel of beads placed at the bottom which will potentially make the bottom have a higher Rh?

I think that if you open your humi even once per day, that isn't going to happen. If you disperse the beads and open once per day, you won't need the fans either.