• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Clay Pipes

aquiring93

Bean Counter
So I've been searching the forums recently and there aren't many discussions on clay pipes. What is everyone's thoughts on them? I've been thinking about purchasing one recently, but I wanted to see what everyone thought about them first.

I use a clay pipe every once in a while. They give a very clean smoke. It's not the type of thing I'd use regularly as they are quite fragile.

Wow. Those look pretty nice. I think I may have to go for one of these in the near future. Thanks for sharing!

Those Lepeltier pipes are nice. I don't have one, but I've heard good things.

I have more traditional clay pipes that were given to me as a gift from a friend in Australia. They're nice because when they need cleaned, I can just stick them in the campfire or even in the charcoal during a BBQ session. They come out looking brand new.

Thanks for posting those Lepeltier photos. I've been curious about clay pipes, and I've wondered how fragile they are. I'm pretty rough on pipes, I'm afraid mine wouldn't last long.

I have a little one that was given to me be a friend. He swears that it works magic with Va/Pers. Its a neat little pipe, but it has a round stem so I can't clench it, so I don't smoke it too often.

I would be interested in trying a clay pipe myself.  I remember seeing some on display in a hutch that my grandparents had.  Long thin stems, churchwarden style.  I would always pick them up when they weren't looking and remember them feeling very fragile.  I have to say that smoking it I'd also probably be worried about breaking them stem or dropping it.  Still, would be neat to try.

Anyone familiar and have opinions on Gouda clay pipes?

il_570xN.387905422_5vfj.jpg

The city is about an hour up the road from us. I wanted to go there just because of the name and to get some cheese. Then I find out that's where stroopwafles are from. Now pipes... so, needless to say, there are plenty of motivations to make a trip one day.

stroopwafels-home3.jpg

I'd get a pipe as a conversation item, no matter what, but I'd rather have something useful along with the story.

Thanks.

-John

JHolmes763 said:
Anyone familiar and have opinions on Gouda clay pipes?

il_570xN.387905422_5vfj.jpg

The city is about an hour up the road from us. I wanted to go there just because of the name and to get some cheese. Then I find out that's where stroopwafles are from. Now pipes... so, needless to say, there are plenty of motivations to make a trip one day.

stroopwafels-home3.jpg

I'd get a pipe as a conversation item, no matter what, but I'd rather have something useful along with the story.

Thanks.

-John

Not familiar and no opinion on those particular pipes, but the one in the picture looks just like the clays I have with the exception of the bit (and size). Mine have glazed bits so they are a little more comfortable in the mouth and I have a few different sizes. The only thing to really consider is the length of the stem. It needs to be long enough for you to hold away from the bowl. These babies get pretty hot up around the bowl.

As long as you can draw air through a clay pipe, it should work just fine. There will be more relights because the bowls are so small that they're hard to keep lit no matter. The airway is always pretty narrow on these, too. Just the nature of the beast.